THE FORUM

18-Apr-24, 02:28:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jersey City 2017  (Read 14387 times)
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: 14-Jul-17, 10:55:27 AM »

BD/62 was back at 101 Hudson for dinner last night.  Folks have posted video of her coming in to scream for food at about 5:04 pm.  She is one Giant Guvie!!

She was also soaking wet on the nestbox ledge this morning.  I hope she grows into her talons, LOL.  She would then rival King Kong in size.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 14-Jul-17, 12:26:40 PM »

BD/62 was back at 101 Hudson for dinner last night.  Folks have posted video of her coming in to scream for food at about 5:04 pm.  She is one Giant Guvie!!

She was also soaking wet on the nestbox ledge this morning.  I hope she grows into her talons, LOL.  She would then rival King Kong in size.

laugh

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 14-Jul-17, 06:40:06 PM »

2funny

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 06-Dec-17, 07:38:36 PM »

Good news from the Jersey City nest site about a 2007 juvie!

November 28, 2017

Photo by Barbara Saunders

JC Alumni update! ~ We received news from our NJDFW colleagues that a falcon produced from this eyrie was recently re-sighted while nesting in NYC. 40/S or "Alpine", a male, was one of three young that were produced from this nest site in 2007. When we look back at the Nestbox News from that year, we also see that some human compassion helped saved his life:

"June 15, 2007

This week has been an active one for the Jersey City nest site. The male eyas, "Alpine," took his first flight on or about Tuesday, and sightings suggest he was grounded for a little while before flying off. But Wednesday, he was delivered to the Raptor Trust, having been picked up by Jersey City Animal Control staff.

The Raptor Trust staff checked him out (he was uninjured), and gave him a couple good meals, and ENSP staff placed him back on the roof of 101 Hudson on Thursday morning. We believe he was on camera late Thursday, flying in with the remains of some prey, which "Roxanne" promptly took from him! Roxanne is approximately a week behind the others developmentally, so has been limited to walking around the roof and, with growing frequency, doing flapping exercises to gain strength. "Linn," the larger female, has been exercising (running and flapping) this week and is probably nearing her first attempt at flight."

From 2007: left to right Alpine (40/S), Roxanne (93/Y), and Linn (92/Y) at banding.

He had reportedly been nesting at Chelsea Pier in 2009 and 2010 and for a least the past year, he was confirmed to be nesting at 2 Penn Plaza in NYC, which is only 3.23 miles from 101 Hudson St. We're glad to hear that a falcon from this eyrie is alive and well and nesting in the NYC/NJ metro area!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 06-Dec-17, 07:50:46 PM »

This is great news!!! Thanks Alison!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 06-Dec-17, 09:41:59 PM »

good news Boy, he's a little guy!  thankyou

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 07-Dec-17, 10:14:56 AM »

Yes, he's definitely slim and trim.    wave

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: 07-Dec-17, 03:25:32 PM »

That was the only year they named the eyases.  It was in honor of Linn Pierson, exceptional falcon watcher who posted often on this forum.  We had two 'Linn's' that year.  New Jersey and Rochester.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: