THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 06:13:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: GHO kills Osprey chick at Belwood Lake. 02.11 / 09 July 2017  (Read 16555 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 27-Dec-17, 05:55:29 PM »

Bailey may not be releasable.. Sad

Update on Bailey the Osprey, patient 799-17: The imping of her feathers didn't get the outcome we thought we would get. We had hoped by now, two weeks later, that she'd be showing more signs of progress. Unfortunately, she is still having difficulties with high, sustained flights. We'll continue to keep you informed with any updates as they occur.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 29-Dec-17, 08:03:54 AM »

crying Shocked

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 08-Jan-18, 10:03:27 AM »

Thank you for the update, Kris. It is very sad that Bailey may not be releasable, but I am still hopeful that with time, her flying skills may gradually improve. It takes a long time to regain muscle strength when a bird has not been flying for a while.

Bailey is gorgeous, and one way or another, she deserves the very best life.  heart
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 25-Jan-18, 03:22:39 PM »

Some new information on Bailey, after she had X-rays taken of her wings. I was hoping for more encouraging news, but at least this explains why she has problems sustaining flight. Still hoping for the best possible future for Bailey, whether or not she turns out to be releasable.  heart

Bailey's left wing:

Bailey's right wing:

These x-rays are from Bailey the Osprey, patient 799-17. We posted a few weeks ago that she still wasn't flying high sustained flights, and nothing has changed since then. These x-rays help explain why (check out the photo of Bailey on the x-ray table).

Her right wing joint is enlarged from the way it healed. Bones healing have osteoblasts which are bone forming cells. These cells quickly add onto the injured bone to help it heal. Then after the healing occurs, another type of bone cell, called an osteoclast, reabsorbs the excess bone to get it back down to a normal size. However, in this case, there is still a lot of a callus left in Bailey's joint, when the osteoclasts should be done reabsorbing what they will.

We are concerned about her ability to rotate her 'wrist' with the callus that is left. Osprey migrate long distances and in order to hunt fish need to be able to hover, both which require perfect 'wrist' rotation. As always we'll keep watching her and update when there is news.

https://www.facebook.com/AudubonCenterforBirdsofPrey/posts/1780061245340115
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 27-Jan-18, 01:34:34 AM »

Thanks Alison!  wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 13-Feb-18, 03:47:09 PM »

Some not so good news. Sad

“Bailey, has unfortunately not made any progress since our last update. She continues to be unable to regularly reach high perches and sustain high flights in the rehab barn.”

No mention as to what the next step is for Bailey.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 15-Feb-18, 03:41:55 PM »

Some not so good news. Sad

“Bailey, has unfortunately not made any progress since our last update. She continues to be unable to regularly reach high perches and sustain high flights in the rehab barn.”

No mention as to what the next step is for Bailey.

Ahh, so sad for Bailey! :{

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 21-Feb-18, 02:27:42 PM »

Newest update on Bailey from Audubon Center for Birds of Prey FB page ❤️

After careful consideration we’ve been forced to make a very tough decision about the future of “Bailey” osprey, patient 799-17. She’s had extensive rehabilitation time and it is clear that she will never be able to hover, migrate or survive on her own in the wild because of her injuries. Amidst this sad news we have been comforted by knowing that there is a happy outcome for her. We’re quite pleased to announce that Bailey will be staying with us at the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey and be a part of our family for the rest of her life.
At the Center she has recently been moved into her new enclosure with her new roommate, Smedley! Like Bailey, Smedley had a rough beginning, falling out of his nest and fracturing his wing in numerous places when he was just 3 weeks old. He was housed with a female osprey companion for 18 years, but she recently passed away from old age leaving Smedley alone. For more about Smedley check out this video (https://www.facebook.com/AudubonCenterforBirdsofPrey/videos/1767425739936999/).
From day one Smedley was very smitten with Bailey, running over to her as soon as she was placed in her new home. She is quickly learning to appreciate Smedley’s favorite activity, getting a shower each morning from the person cleaning their enclosure. Dinner is served nightly with an array of various Florida fish species, all of which Bailey devours. She even gets an occasional live fish caught in Lake Sybelia, the lake that her new home overlooks.
Under human care Bailey will be free from any predators and receive a lifetime of room, board and yearly medical physical care. This along with healthy food means that osprey in a captive setting tend to live a lot longer, between 20-25 years usually. Bailey has had a difficult life up until now and she is already settled into her new life. We’re excited that she’ll have a good home with us for all the years to come!
The Osprey enclosure is viewable to visitors during Center operating hours, so we invite you to come visit and help welcome Bailey to her new forever home!

(Photo - Bailey is on the perch, and Smedley is on the ground with the great view of the lake in the background)

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 21-Feb-18, 05:55:59 PM »

Newest update on Bailey from Audubon Center for Birds of Prey FB page ❤️

After careful consideration we’ve been forced to make a very tough decision about the future of “Bailey” osprey, patient 799-17. She’s had extensive rehabilitation time and it is clear that she will never be able to hover, migrate or survive on her own in the wild because of her injuries. Amidst this sad news we have been comforted by knowing that there is a happy outcome for her. We’re quite pleased to announce that Bailey will be staying with us at the Audubon Center for Birds of Prey and be a part of our family for the rest of her life.
At the Center she has recently been moved into her new enclosure with her new roommate, Smedley! Like Bailey, Smedley had a rough beginning, falling out of his nest and fracturing his wing in numerous places when he was just 3 weeks old. He was housed with a female osprey companion for 18 years, but she recently passed away from old age leaving Smedley alone. For more about Smedley check out this video (https://www.facebook.com/AudubonCenterforBirdsofPrey/videos/1767425739936999/).
From day one Smedley was very smitten with Bailey, running over to her as soon as she was placed in her new home. She is quickly learning to appreciate Smedley’s favorite activity, getting a shower each morning from the person cleaning their enclosure. Dinner is served nightly with an array of various Florida fish species, all of which Bailey devours. She even gets an occasional live fish caught in Lake Sybelia, the lake that her new home overlooks.
Under human care Bailey will be free from any predators and receive a lifetime of room, board and yearly medical physical care. This along with healthy food means that osprey in a captive setting tend to live a lot longer, between 20-25 years usually. Bailey has had a difficult life up until now and she is already settled into her new life. We’re excited that she’ll have a good home with us for all the years to come!
The Osprey enclosure is viewable to visitors during Center operating hours, so we invite you to come visit and help welcome Bailey to her new forever home!

(Photo - Bailey is on the perch, and Smedley is on the ground with the great view of the lake in the background)

Many thanks for posting this update, Kris! After seeing the X-rays I knew that Bailey would not be able to fly well enough to migrate, and I was hoping that she would be able to stay at Audubon. They have taken great care of her, and I think Bailey will have a really good life there. I thought she would be missing her former companion Burn (although I was very happy that Burn recovered completely and was released). It is great that Bailey now has Smedley as a companion, and that he is already smitten with her.

Bailey is young, and very beautiful, and I think that she will be a wonderful education ambassador. After everything she has been through, she deserves only good things from now on. With her injuries, it is amazing that she was able to manage as long as she did in the wild. She is a very courageous osprey, and I wish her a long and very happy life.  heart heart heart
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 21-Feb-18, 08:12:11 PM »

I'm sad Bailey will never fly the skies but glad she will be well-cared for and has a companion to make her future life much happier.

Dot in PA
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 22-Feb-18, 09:53:05 PM »

It's best for her now and glad she has a friend!! Thanks for the updates!

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: