THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 08:20:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jersey City Peregrines 2018  (Read 11900 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 22-May-18, 10:49:58 PM »

FB update!  2thumbsup

Jersey City #FalconCam Update!

Guess who found a new, loving home!?! After receiving some expert care from Tri-State Bird Rescue & Research, Inc., "Junior" (in front) was successfully fostered into another peregrine #falcon nest on Monday! He was paired up with young that hatched less than two days after him, which will help give him a great chance to successfully fledge with his new adopted family, which is located off Island Beach State Park. We will return to band them in two weeks and will be sure to update everyone on his progress then. Thank you to our friends at Tri-State, especially Dr. Erica Miller for transporting and helping us to foster him into his new nest!

Read more in the latest NestBox News entry: www.conservewildlifenj.org/falconcam

Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 23-May-18, 10:52:13 AM »

Here is more of the "Junior" story from one of the best storytellers:

https://exit63.wordpress.com/2018/05/22/junior-goes-to-sedge/

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23-May-18, 12:41:03 PM »

wub2

Peregrines know no borders.....
Penelope99
Juvie

Like Count: 18

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23-May-18, 04:10:31 PM »

Bravo!  happy
Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: 27-May-18, 01:17:17 PM »

Went down yesterday.  Both adults were flying around the top of the building with all the construction cranes and equipment.  Hopefully, the eyases won't get too spooked when they are ready to fly.

William Blake
Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 26-Jun-18, 02:58:51 PM »

BD/74 was released on top of 101 Hudson this morning and rocketed to the north like a bullet.  I missed by 10 min. being where I could photograph her coming off of the building.  But I did see two flying on top of the Trump Apts (sorry folks) and Plaza 5.  Here is a link to one of my photos on the Conserve Wildlife of NJ site:

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/76c8935ce7cf7ea3ff3576986afe9fb12a6bed350ba7945aeb640d3a64acd76c.jpg

I did mention that if NJFW and put different colored tape on each bird, we could have ID'd the fledglings.

William Blake
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26-Jun-18, 06:18:54 PM »

BD/74 was released on top of 101 Hudson this morning and rocketed to the north like a bullet.  I missed by 10 min. being where I could photograph her coming off of the building.  But I did see two flying on top of the Trump Apts (sorry folks) and Plaza 5.  Here is a link to one of my photos on the Conserve Wildlife of NJ site:

https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/76c8935ce7cf7ea3ff3576986afe9fb12a6bed350ba7945aeb640d3a64acd76c.jpg

I did mention that if NJFW and put different colored tape on each bird, we could have ID'd the fledglings.

2thumbsup

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26-Jun-18, 11:55:28 PM »

Thanks Bonnie!  wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 15-Sep-18, 06:31:00 AM »

Follow up to shared post from Patricia Carey.

After contacting Kurt Rhymestine, Patti Kneer and John Rodgers, I am convinced that the juvenile peregrine they photographed at Montezuma is a 2018 female from Jersey City, NJ.

Our Rochester NY falcon connection to New Jersey is 91/BA (Cadence/2015) at Union County Courthouse, Elizabeth NJ. Since the photographed band ID indicated BD over 7, we were hoping it could be the female BD/73 (Akira) hatched this year.

However, in additional closeup pictures from Kurt and Patti, it looks like a number 4 in the green. That means the juvie sighted is BD/74 from Jersey City, NJ

This peregrine is already a success story. During demolition efforts on the old Goethals Bridge, 3 eyases were found by workers the next day inside a girder that was brought down. They were rescued and taken to The Raptor Trust.

The Goethals orphans were fostered at Jersey City falcon site by the resident adults. BD/74 prematurely fledged and was rescued for the 2nd time. So exciting to see she has flown west and visiting upstate NY.

Addition informatio - http://www.conservewildlifenj.org/education/falconcam/

Photos from Kurt & Patti:

Posted by Joyce

Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 15-Sep-18, 11:29:35 AM »

WOWEE!!  That girl is a strong fighter!  So, so glad to hear.  Our Ivy from a few years ago made it north as well.  Do Kathy Clark and Ben Wurst know?

William Blake
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15-Sep-18, 11:53:15 AM »

This is wonderful news!  clap

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15-Sep-18, 03:12:24 PM »

This is such awesome news! Welcome to central/western New York, Jersey girl!

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: