THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 10:36:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 ... 57   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2022 Pictures from the Rfalconcam Cameras  (Read 110915 times)
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #555 on: 23-Jun-22, 07:16:44 AM »

Feeding on the edge!

Peregrines know no borders.....
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #556 on: 23-Jun-22, 07:17:40 AM »

Thursday, June 23, 2022 Pics

Nicer day in the 70s, less humidity, no rain.

« Last Edit: 23-Jun-22, 09:46:56 PM by Carol P. » Logged

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #557 on: 23-Jun-22, 07:27:32 AM »

I totally forgot I had started gathering pictures for a collage showing the differences in the auricular patches of Nova & Neander. Let's see if it will post from disqus... nope. Can't log into flickr from here so I'll attach it instead.

In addition to the cere, 1 other identifier I use, which is not perfect and does steer me wrong on occasion - the lower edges of Nova's black hood are fairly sharp and distinct on both sides. She also has a strip of white extending back on the left side of her neck.
Neander has a bit of white fuzziness intruding into the edge of his hood on both sides. The fuzziness is sort of clover shaped.
Nova also has a darker head. And as is typical with raptors, the back edge of Nova's beak extends further back under her eye than Neander.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
KathJensen
Big Clutch

Like Count: 4

View Profile
« Reply #558 on: 23-Jun-22, 09:03:13 AM »

They make me so nervous when they do this!
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #559 on: 23-Jun-22, 09:21:31 AM »

That is why we have the  scared blue emoji!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #560 on: 23-Jun-22, 12:55:47 PM »

No matter how many years we watch, we all get nervous every year!  Shocked
« Last Edit: 23-Jun-22, 01:05:39 PM by Carol P. » Logged

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #561 on: 23-Jun-22, 01:57:07 PM »

I totally forgot I had started gathering pictures for a collage showing the differences in the auricular patches of Nova & Neander. Let's see if it will post from disqus... nope. Can't log into flickr from here so I'll attach it instead.

In addition to the cere, 1 other identifier I use, which is not perfect and does steer me wrong on occasion - the lower edges of Nova's black hood are fairly sharp and distinct on both sides. She also has a strip of white extending back on the left side of her neck.
Neander has a bit of white fuzziness intruding into the edge of his hood on both sides. The fuzziness is sort of clover shaped.
Nova also has a darker head. And as is typical with raptors, the back edge of Nova's beak extends further back under her eye than Neander.

I'm adding this to the FAQ.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #562 on: 23-Jun-22, 02:20:13 PM »

I'm adding this to the FAQ.

Thanks. I'll social post it when I get home.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #563 on: 24-Jun-22, 06:55:55 AM »

One other way to tell it's Nova - at least for the next week or so - she has already molted a few tail feathers. I noticed the gap in some of Pat's banding day photos. Here you can see the new ones growing in.

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #564 on: 24-Jun-22, 11:19:42 AM »

Friday, June 24, 2022 Pics

Beautiful day in the 80s.

« Last Edit: 24-Jun-22, 07:32:04 PM by Carol P. » Logged

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #565 on: 24-Jun-22, 02:27:41 PM »

Debating who is biggest. Here it appears to be Zara, but she's still got way more fluff than Kanfai Malachim so that may be throwing the perspective off.

Casey628
Big Clutch

View Profile
« Reply #566 on: 24-Jun-22, 04:30:39 PM »

I think Kam has more black feathers when you look at them from the back, that makes me think she's the oldest. 
Who would use the yellow bands?
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #567 on: 24-Jun-22, 06:43:31 PM »

I think Kam has more black feathers when you look at them from the back, that makes me think she's the oldest. 
Who would use the yellow bands?

It's hard to say which is older. They tend to loose their fluff after banding and they were also out in the rain the other day. That may have matted down her fluff a bit. The 2 girls hatched the same day so there isn't much difference. Blaze hatched 2 days later.

The yellow band is likely a domestic pigeon.

Casey628
Big Clutch

View Profile
« Reply #568 on: 24-Jun-22, 07:58:09 PM »

I keep forgetting they hatched the same day, it seems so long ago now!  K seems more daring, wasn't that her on the "balance beam" yesterday and today, I haven't noticed if anyone else tried that, she seemed really proud of herself?
Did they weigh them when they were banded?
Also, will they examine the "angel egg"
Sorry for all the questions.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #569 on: 24-Jun-22, 08:23:03 PM »

I keep forgetting they hatched the same day, it seems so long ago now!  K seems more daring, wasn't that her on the "balance beam" yesterday and today, I haven't noticed if anyone else tried that, she seemed really proud of herself?
Did they weigh them when they were banded?
Also, will they examine the "angel egg"
Sorry for all the questions.

Yes, K is the daring one. The others haven't practiced their perching skills yet.

NY generally does not weigh them. They use leg measurements to determined gender.

They probably will check the egg but it's highly unlikely we'll ever hear anything about it.

Questions are always welcome. That's how we all learned!

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41 42 ... 57   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: