THE FORUM

02-Jul-24, 02:27:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Banding Day 2024 as it happened  (Read 2366 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23-May-24, 10:04:19 AM »

« Last Edit: 23-May-24, 02:06:01 PM by Shaky » Logged

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23-May-24, 10:06:45 AM »

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 23-May-24, 10:14:19 AM »

Our first eyas is a male named Justice!

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23-May-24, 10:14:57 AM »

Justice is named by Pat Carey of Irondequoit, NY

Justice - for justice itself and for all the people who work to get it in the buildings surrounding the nest box; particularly the Telesca Center for Justice and the Civic Center Plaza.

Band # Black/green 98/W
Tape color no tape

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23-May-24, 10:24:02 AM »

Our 2nd eyas is a female named Meng

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23-May-24, 10:26:34 AM »

Meng is named by Eileen Karle of Ulster County, NY

Meng - Heinz Meng was a world-renowned falconer and ornithologist. After DDT decimated the population of peregrine falcons, he was instrumental in their recovery. He was the first to successfully breed peregrine falcons in captivity in New Paltz, NY.
Once DDT was banned and it was safe to attempt to return peregrines to the wild, he shared his breeding stock to help form the foundation of the new population of peregrines we watch over today.
Meng
Gender (F)
Band # 88/Z black/green
Tape color blue

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 23-May-24, 10:33:57 AM »

Walker - is named by Richard Calabrese, Jr., Partner and Manager at the Times Square Building in Rochester, NY after the architect Ralph Walker for his beautiful design of the Time Square building where the box is now located beneath the four glorious wings that adorn the Rochester skyline.

Walker
Gender (M)
Band # 26/R black/green
Tape color yellow

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 23-May-24, 10:40:26 AM »

And our final eyas and winner of the Pick an Name contest is a female named Mighty!

Mighty was submitted by Sue Morse's students at Midlakes Education Center in Clifton Springs, NY
Mighty - Mighty means "impressive power and strength." Peregrine Falcons possess "impressive power and strength" to survive as a former endangered species.
Although they have been delisted on the Federal level, peregrine falcons remain on the endangered species list in New York State
Mighty
Gender (F)
Band # 89/Z black/green
Tape color red

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 23-May-24, 10:44:48 AM »

And, for those keeping track, Mighty won by a mighty big margin!

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 23-May-24, 10:45:38 AM »

The eyases are being returned to the nest box!

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 23-May-24, 10:48:39 AM »

Thank you everyone for joining us for another successful banding day!

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: 23-May-24, 02:09:35 PM »

Band summary:

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23-May-24, 04:16:30 PM »

I was just watching the video. I don't recall Nova & Neander being quite so bold last year. They were flying so close and even landed on the platform & cameras while the humans were still out there!

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23-May-24, 05:49:44 PM »

I was just watching the video. I don't recall Nova & Neander being quite so bold last year. They were flying so close and even landed on the platform & cameras while the humans were still out there!

I saw that!  It was interesting to see them both together in tandem going after the humans.  Usually you only see the female and the male will make a half hearted attempt but Neander was right in there with Nova.  In the end they saved their babies  wub2
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: 23-May-24, 08:08:15 PM »

I saw that!  It was interesting to see them both together in tandem going after the humans.  Usually you only see the female and the male will make a half hearted attempt but Neander was right in there with Nova.  In the end they saved their babies  wub2

If you're keeping score for the series of N&N vs banders, it's

Falcons 3
      Hoomons 0

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: