THE FORUM

23-Apr-24, 04:50:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Baby poll  (Read 17945 times)
cyclones14
Fluffball

Like Count: 4

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 13-Apr-10, 03:30:46 PM »

Now, when will we know the names of they baby birds? Gender? Do we vote for the names?
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 13-Apr-10, 03:35:58 PM »

May 12 for Helga Jean!

Still didn't say if there's a story behind the name Helga Jean...inquiring minds and all that...

Ok - the story behind the name....
Over the years when friends were preggers, I'd call the baby Heartbeat or some such name.  With many more people finding out the sex of the baby long before birth, many now name the baby.  I like that.  So, for those that don't know the sex or haven't picked out a name, I make one up and call the baby that name until birth.  Generally, it is something the parents would never pick.  Helga is a nice strong-sounding Germanic name and Jean just flows nicely with it.  BTW, a friend is VERY pregnant, having a girl, hasn't picked a name, so I always call the baby Helga Jean.  It's a good name! 

To answer how I will know which egg is Helga Jean - that will be the PUSHY One  laugh

Thanks!  Neat tradition and a loverly name (my Grandma was a Fatthauer)!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
cyclones14
Fluffball

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 13-Apr-10, 03:37:49 PM »

Interesting story behind Helga Jean!
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13-Apr-10, 03:39:08 PM »

Now, when will we know the names of they baby birds? Gender? Do we vote for the names?

LOOONG way to go before we even start talking about it.  33-35 days to hatch-counting starting ?...30 +/- more days to banding.  Not to be a party pooper...we're all VERY excited...but there's a reason for the old saying don't count your chickens before they hatch...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
cyclones14
Fluffball

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 13-Apr-10, 03:40:35 PM »

Haha! Thanks so much! I appreciate it!
valhalla
« Reply #20 on: 13-Apr-10, 04:10:46 PM »

Nope - we have no say in any of the above Sad
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13-Apr-10, 04:21:07 PM »

Not neccessarily true, Janet.  Gender, we surely have no say, but we have had input into eyas names in the past.  I'm hoping this wonderful community can be involved again!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13-Apr-10, 04:38:04 PM »

Not neccessarily true, Janet.  Gender, we surely have no say, but we have had input into eyas names in the past.  I'm hoping this wonderful community can be involved again!

I hope so too, Ei!  clap

valhalla
« Reply #23 on: 13-Apr-10, 07:11:13 PM »

It really doesn't matter to me, but we find out what the selection process is after it has happened and what the criteria is.  I wash me hands of the entire process, which is why I'm having fun with Helga Jean because no one names an egg. 

Speaking of naming...
Remember that in honor of my Birthday egg, Helga Jean, I made a donation (click the button above) to help keep these cams going.  Please consider doing the same everybody.  The cams cost money and the egg fairy isn't paying for them, so pick an egg, name it, an make a donation in honor of it  Kiss
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: 13-Apr-10, 07:44:39 PM »

I wash me hands of the entire process

Arrrrg, Matey.
Aafke
Falcon

Like Count: 715

Kingfisher

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25-Apr-10, 03:23:39 PM »

My guess is that the first egg will hatch at May 16
greetings Aafke

Feed the birds!!!!
chlosmom
Juvie

Like Count: 12

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 30-Apr-11, 02:30:09 PM »

question---is it likely that b's second hatch be as much as 8 days after her first?
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 30-Apr-11, 02:39:58 PM »

question---is it likely that b's second hatch be as much as 8 days after her first?

They didn't start incubating full time until after the last egg was laid.  This is so they will all hatch close to each other.  In other nests where there has been a long delay between eggs this has been true as well.  But we won't know until they start hatching!

chlosmom
Juvie

Like Count: 12

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 30-Apr-11, 03:18:49 PM »

one more question--do they hatch in order of being  laid?  thanks for you time
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 30-Apr-11, 03:30:53 PM »

one more question--do they hatch in order of being  laid?  thanks for you time

That's hard to tell.  The first one laid does have a dark spot, so we may be able to tell this time.  Generally it's hard to tell one from the other unless they're marked and in an incubator.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: