THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 04:23:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where was Quest yesterday?  (Read 15257 times)
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20-Apr-10, 10:04:09 AM »

So glad they have a monitor.  I wonder what happened to the eggs.

And if Quest was with another falcon, maybe it is a male.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20-Apr-10, 09:36:43 PM »

How many Peregrines with transmitters are out there?
Lord G
Juvie

Like Count: 48

Peregrine Paparazzo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 21-Apr-10, 10:37:03 AM »

Unfortunately this is one of those times when we had a significant gap in data transmissions, and the data we did get isn't of the greatest quality.

Basically the data dump we received on the 19th covers the period from 5PM to 9:25PM (local time) on 18 April.  

The data dump we received on the 20th covers the period from about 10PM on 19 April to 7AM on 20 April.  

So we didn't get any data for most of the day on the 19th, including the period when Quest might have been at Port Colborne.  The best transmitter evidence we have for her being there is the final transmission from the 18th, which is posted on Quest's weekly and monthly maps, and shows her just to the west of Port Colborne.

The data for the 20th that we received places Quest in the vicinity of Alexandria Bay, a couple hundred miles away from Port Colborne.  The earliest and latest data points from the 20th are in agreement, and though we had a lot of very poor-quality transmissions in the data, they're all consistent in placing Quest in this area.  So if she was at the Port Colborne site, we can't rely on the satellite data to confirm it.

Nevertheless, I'm inclined to think she probably did visit the ADM nest box.  It was pretty much on her flight path east from her location late on the 18th, and I don't think there are that many falcons equipped with transmitters out there (though I don't know specific numbers).  The trip back to Alexandria Bay would only take her about 4 hours, and she's shown a great affinity for not settling down, so maybe she was just checking things out.  We just don't have much observational data from which we can draw any firm conclusions.  

Maybe Doug can get us some more information.  I'd be interested to know the time of day that the falcon was spotted, how long it stayed, and if anyone took a picture (even a picture of the monitor screen would be welcome) or saw a leg band.
« Last Edit: 21-Apr-10, 10:42:55 AM by Lord G » Logged

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise"
valhalla
« Reply #18 on: 21-Apr-10, 10:52:59 AM »

So we wait.  But!!  Quest is ok.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 21-Apr-10, 12:08:23 PM »

It just seems to be our luck that every time she's maybe spotted for sure (since her Cape Cod region excursions)...the guys at Lennox didn't want to disturb Lennox man...our watchers got there a day late...excellent signals from her transmitter-except for the day we're pretty sure someone actually saw her...  AARRGH!!!

And, yes, the most important thing is that Quest is OK.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
valhalla
« Reply #20 on: 21-Apr-10, 12:35:17 PM »

AND!!  Quest is certainly leading us on a quest - perfect name for the "questing" falcon  2thumbsup
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 21-Apr-10, 10:10:31 PM »

Maybe we should change her name to settle down already  laugh
JohnCarlos1980
Pipping

Like Count: 4

The squirrel got my cookie!!!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21-Apr-10, 11:00:44 PM »

LOL!  BirdCrazy, we could name rename her as "Kizzy" which means "stay put" in the Mandinka language according to Kunta Kinte (in "Roots") or we could name her Fica (which means "stay" in Portuguese).  Any other name suggestions to make Quest pick a place and mate and settle down, anyone?

John Carlos Metidieri
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21-Apr-10, 11:03:31 PM »

LOL!  BirdCrazy, we could name rename her as "Kizzy" which means "stay put" in the Mandinka language according to Kunta Kinte (in "Roots") or we could name her Fica (which means "stay" in Portuguese).  Any other name suggestions to make Quest pick a place and mate and settle down, anyone?

His name is Toby!. Good point JC...How are you? How's mom!

Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22-Apr-10, 12:17:48 AM »

It just seems to be our luck that every time she's maybe spotted for sure (since her Cape Cod region excursions)...the guys at Lennox didn't want to disturb Lennox man...our watchers got there a day late...excellent signals from her transmitter-except for the day we're pretty sure someone actually saw her...  AARRGH!!!

And, yes, the most important thing is that Quest is OK.

As someone once mentioned, she wears an invisible cloak.  Just as we think we can pinpoint her, there she goes being " the elusive falcon" again!  If we could stand hand-to-hand encircling Lake Ontario, we still wouldn't see that wandering peregrine with a transmiter.
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 22-Apr-10, 07:35:50 AM »

I believe she inherited the invisibility trait from her father. Famous for his stealth mode.
JohnCarlos1980
Pipping

Like Count: 4

The squirrel got my cookie!!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 23-Apr-10, 01:57:46 AM »

Wait a minute...  So quest was likely at the Port Colborn nest site, and it is possible that she displaced the female there and then flew off again???

John Carlos Metidieri
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 23-Apr-10, 07:11:33 AM »

maybe she only wanted the tiercel, maybe she's looking for  wub2
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23-Apr-10, 08:31:19 AM »

There's been problems at that site.  Two years in a row, eggs were laid and then disappeared.  No one saw what happened.  I don't know if the female there was displaced particularly by Quest.  She might have just been there to be there

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: