THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 08:18:45 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stormin' - Yonge & Eglinton (Rhea Mae and Tiago's little one!)  (Read 109861 times)
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03-Jun-11, 09:47:48 PM »

Kitty:  The resident female there is not banded so we don't know where she hails from.  
chlosmom
Juvie

Like Count: 12

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03-Jun-11, 09:58:28 PM »

who exactly is stormin----beyond being a great guy?
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03-Jun-11, 10:11:56 PM »

who exactly is stormin----beyond being a great guy?

Rhea Mae and Tiago's offspring and grandson of Mariah and Kaver!

chlosmom
Juvie

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 03-Jun-11, 10:28:00 PM »

i should have known--superior genes will tell--
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 03-Jun-11, 11:19:34 PM »

Not official yet...but CPF is here for our banding and Frank just me ..that "STORMIN' is the new male who took over the Yonge & Eglinton site!!  He said I could post it for you guys...details to follow when they have some time.

Running back down to see my kids...they're on the way down from the ledge now...

This is incredible news Carly.  Thanks to you and Big Frank for letting us know.  Another M&K grandkid and the first Rhea Mae young one to be seen after leaving the nest site.  Great News!   clap heart

Peregrines know no borders.....
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04-Jun-11, 09:12:41 AM »

i should have known--superior genes will tell--

He even has his own thread...

http://rfalconcam.com/forum/index.php?topic=2182.0

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
chlosmom
Juvie

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04-Jun-11, 05:55:07 PM »

I'm sure irving is saying thanks, storming'
Wing Goose
Tiercel

Like Count: 37

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04-Jun-11, 06:10:28 PM »

Rochester peregrines are busting out everywhere!
     Love it.
      yahoo
       Lola

Lola
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04-Jun-11, 07:35:56 PM »

And here is the 'official post' from CPF identifying Stormin as the new resident male and more great news about his new role   heart

!!! Canada Square Resident Adults UpdateJune 02, 2011 - Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton
Tracy Simpson Reports:

First off I would like to apologize for the lack of posts as I have been at a banding event every day and it seems in every corner of the province!!  It has been wonderful to be able to celebrate these banding events as another opportunity to participate in the monitoring of this species at risk and equally exhausting!!  Here is the update that we have all been anxiously awaiting.

There has certainly been much to watch at the Canada Square nest site and we have been documenting a great deal of behaviour observed between the new male and the resident female.  One of the best observations came from Neil Armstrong of Northern Realty Advisors Ltd when he checked on the three chicks from the observation room on Monday May 30th.  The new male was on the ledge with the chicks alone for a full five minutes and he exhibited nothing but curiosity for the young ones.  Thanks to Neil we were able to get a band number and confirm that the new male on-site is none other than Stormin’, a 2009 hatch from the Toronto Sheraton Hotel.  Stormin’ has been spotted several times over the past year in the Warden and Eglinton area as well as several other places throughout the east GTA.  His tenacity paid off with a territory to call his own that came furnished with a female and chicks already in place!! 

The next big step for this male would be to adopt the young as his own by participating in not just the defence of the site and young but food provision as well.  Bruce and Lyn have been attending regularly in the hopes of witnessing such an event and their efforts were rewarded today with an observation of Stormin’ flying up to the nest ledge with food!!  The resident female flew into the ledge and demanded he hand it over which he relinquished half heartedly.  The female then proceeded into the ledge to feed the chicks and Stormin’ took this as his cue to leave.  It is now clear that Stormin’ has accepted the role of resident male at the Canada Square nest site and is participating in the rearing of the young family.  From the vacancy of the territory left by the death of Irving to the adoption of the family by the new male Stormin’, the change over came full circle in a matter of 12 days.  A huge thank you goes out to Bruce, Lyn and Neil Armstrong at Northern Realty Advisors Ltd for all of their efforts in documenting this event so thoroughly. 

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04-Jun-11, 07:44:13 PM »

Wonderful news, Carly!  Thanks for posting!

chlosmom
Juvie

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 04-Jun-11, 07:57:24 PM »

how does it get sweeter than this?
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05-Jun-11, 09:17:43 AM »

Stormin you make your Grandpa proud.  wub2
chlosmom
Juvie

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05-Jun-11, 04:52:59 PM »

thanks to stormin' too--doing the right thing
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 07-Jun-11, 11:46:36 AM »

Just spotted this...

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2011/06/sightings/banding-day-booked-and-confirmed-for-june-10th-stormin-has-been-accepted-by-the-resident-female-and-now-providing-food-for-his-new-family/

June 06, 2011 - Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton
Mark Nash Reports:

Just a short note to let you all know that the banding date has been booked and confirmed for Friday June 10th at 10 am in the morning! Its going to be a very busy day indeed as we have also confirmed and booked the Scarborough Yellow Pages banding this same day at 2 pm in the afternoon.

An update on the Canada Square nest site peregrines,,, the best news in that the new resident male has been providing food to the resident female and actively involved in the family rearing process, despite that he is not the “sire” of the young hatchlings.

We have been monitoring the nest site very closely since the original resident male named “Irving” - (banded Black B over Green 44,, - who was produced in 2007 in Chicago Ill. USA.) was killed in a collision with a cable several blocks from the Yonge & Eglinton nest site just over a week ago.

As you may recall, a new adult male was literally on territory and courting the resident unbanded female as we retrieved Irving’s body from the Toronto Animal Services.

The new male, identified as an adult male named “Stormin”, was produced at the Toronto Sheraton nest site in 2009, and banded Black 30 over Black Y.

The resident unbanded adult female was not eager to accept “Stormin” and there were some very tense moments observed as she initially tried to drive Stormin out of the territory and protect her chicks.

Today, not only has she accepted his presence, but Stormin has been observed participating in the rearing of the young hatchlings! He has been providing food for the resident female despite the fact that the young hatchlings are not his! At this point, it appears that Stormin has fully accepted the responsibility of the resident male, as he has been observed both defending the territory and continues to provide food for the resident female. She has also now allowed Stormin for the first time into the nest ledge unattended with the hatchlings. While he is not actually brooding the hatchlings or actually fed them himself, he has not taken any action to hurt them at this point.

Stay tuned………..

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 07-Jun-11, 11:50:47 AM »

I love Mark's short notes. This is great news too! What a guy, that Stormin! RM and T taught him to be a gentlemen. Feel awful for Irving though.  Sad

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: