THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 10:20:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stormin' - Yonge & Eglinton (Rhea Mae and Tiago's little one!)  (Read 109863 times)
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 24-May-12, 05:09:37 PM »

Nice report by Lyn but what are they males, females?  Hard to tell by names these days!  thumbsup

I know Solar is a boy and MAK got to hold him  secret2 Grin
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 24-May-12, 05:12:53 PM »

Nice report by Lyn but what are they males, females?  Hard to tell by names these days!  thumbsup

I heard!  clap  thumbsup

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 24-May-12, 05:41:51 PM »

I heard!  clap  thumbsup

Hope there's pics of MAK and Solar!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 24-May-12, 06:31:12 PM »

I heard!  clap  thumbsup

Hope there's pics of MAK and Solar!

Oh you know there is!!  devil

margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 24-May-12, 09:30:17 PM »

I heard!  clap  thumbsup

So cool.  I  hope there  are pics of MAK and Solar!     How cool!
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 25-May-12, 01:53:01 AM »

All 3 of these little cuties are boys and yes there are pics of Solar and me.  Wink

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
BIGFRANK
« Reply #66 on: 03-Jun-12, 03:08:35 AM »

Stormin and Haven Observed

June 03, 2012 - Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton

Frank Butson Reports:

Canada Square Peregrine report June 2 2012

After very little activity on Thursday and no observation yesterday, due to the rain, I thought I should get out and check on the peregrines.

When I arrived at 5:10 pm Haven was sitting on the wall above the nest on Canada Square and Stormin was on the south face of Rio-Can. It was very cool out and both peregrines looked *chilly* and fluffed up against the weather. After twenty minutes of no activity, the sun came out and that was Haven’s opportunity. She flew off. Two minutes later, she was on the northwest corner of the *black building* over the TTC garage, plucking feathers madly from a pigeon. It was the feathers floating in the breeze which alerted me to her whereabouts. Shortly thereafter she grabbed the food parcel and flew south off the black building before turning and beginning to climb back to the height of the nest ledge. It was a bit of a struggle but she managed.

Stormin kept his distance and ten minutes after Haven had disappeared on the nest ledge he flew to the northwest corner of the black building in the hopes of finding scraps. All he managed to find were some feathers. He took off alongside the building flying south, around the bottom end of it and out of sight.

Fifteen minutes later I was still looking for him and heard chup-chup-chup twice. It appeared to come from the nest but I was not sure. I scanned all around but could not see the reason for the chatter.

Eight minutes later Haven flew to the south face of RC, followed by Stormin who perched one floor higher than she was. I did not see him fly from the nest but I wonder if he had arrived at the nest when I heard the chup-chup-chup? Haven did not stay long before flying to the ledge on one of the windows on the concrete wall on the west face of Canada Square. It appeared to me that she had a drink of water. Is this possible? I guess there were little collections of water left in places after the rain from yesterday. Haven then returned to the RC building, same perch. Once more her stay was short lived and she flew back to the wall at the nest. Stormin flew around the RC building and headed north on Yonge Street. It took almost half an hour for Stormin to return and when he did he sat right at the top of the southwest corner of Rio-Can. Haven spent the whole time on her perch on Canada Square above the nest. At 7:15 I left them in those same places.

BIGFRANK’s note: Its very possible Lyn saw Haven drink some pooled water. Peregrines dont need to drink water, they get their moisture from the blood of prey, but they will drink water infrequently and also bathe.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 17-Jun-12, 12:03:54 PM »

Simcoe Fledges and Has a Big Day Out!!
June 16, 2012 - Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton
Tracy Simpson Reports:

I was late arriving this morning, at 9:35. Marion came in five minutes later so we do not know whether the eyases were fed before that or not. Apart from the odd bit of flapping and running along edges there was not much happening. There were still two peregrines on the level one down from the nest and one on the nest level. Haven was sitting with her back to the world on the balcony railing below them. The youngster left on the nest ledge was winding up his wings and then, exhausted he would rest for hours! We did not see Stormin until after 1:00pm. His visit was short-lived! Haven flew in and out but did not make any real effort to coax a youngster off the ledge. Haven visited her larder on the balcony floor below the level where the babies were and hopping back to the top of that balcony wall and ate. A bit of the activity in the afternoon was created by Haven flying from here to there and also checking on the youngsters. Lance and Charmane had visited and Caroline joined us for the watch. There still was not much activity. The heat of the day had affected us all I think. Marion had picked up a coffee and I had taken a break, still nothing. When Caroline said she was going to pick up something cool I thought nothing of it.

At precisely 5:12 pm we had lift-off!! What an epic first flight this was! The fledgling flew from his level towards the black building but changed his mind and direction and flew up Duplex Avenue, across Eglinton Avenue and towards the Rio-Can building where he had seen his mom and dad perch and the window uprights all these weeks and though he would do the same! He did not quite make it and touched a window, fluttered a bit and then Haven steered him away from Rio-Can towards the Canada Square building! He had maintained altitude all the way until he brushed the window! So whilst directing his flight Haven also nudged him upwards to the height of Canada Square’s roof!! He MADE it!!!! Haven is a wonderful mother!! She flew the whole circuit at his side, in front or below him the whole way. She was just amazing. He had good strong flight and did very well. He had left Canada Square half a level below the nest level, flown a complete and very wide circle and ended up HIGHER by two floors and a bit than when he had lift-off!!! No mean feat for a first flight. The very sad part about this was that Caroline Lance and Maggie missed this first voyage. However, we did not know it but there was much more to come! I sort of thought that he had made such a long trip that he would stay put for the rest of the afternoon and sleep up there. Hmmmmm!!

Stormin put in another appearance, lengthier than before. He ate his food parcel. Haven flew in with a food parcel, onto the north edge of Canada Square, right under the fledgling’s nose! He protested she ignored him, had something to eat and then flew onto the nest ledge and dropped of the remains for Solar! Brisk protested and was ignored! Maggie arrived and then Lance and Charmane. Then Tracy arrived and we repeated the story of this epic flight to everyone who would listen. I managed to get a picture of the band tape on this valiant little bird’s leg and also of the one left on the ledge. Simcoe, the eldest, was first to fly at, I believe, forty days old!!! I took a picture of the band tape on the bird left on the ledge – it was red indicating that Brisk was still in place.

At 7:27pm Simcoe took flight again and Haven was with him. He did a semi-circle from the roof of Canada Square, over the old TTC bus bays and he and Haven turned but Haven turned more than he did and was headed back towards Canada Square whereas Simcoe was headed across Eglinton again. He maintained altitude all the way to the 22nd floor balcony wall of the apartment building behind the *gold* building. He brushed the wall, tumbled one, two, three floors down, RECOVERED and flew over the gold building and back over Eglinton where Haven met him. He flew towards Canada Square west wall and lost a bit of height but Haven was right there and coaxed him into landing on the *black building*. He appeared at the very northwest corner and had a think! Then he moved from there along the zig-zag roof top to the third *zig* in from the corner. He disappeared and re-appeared and sat again.

It was 7:46 pm and time to fly again and he did!! He flew from the black building roof towards Canada Square north end of the building. He had lost some altitude after contact with the *glass* wall but Haven launched off the RC and helped him regain enough height to the black building again where he had a bit of a clumsy and hard landing! He was fine though!

7:55 pm Simcoe flew again, right across the old TTC bus bays across Eglinton (again) and onto the north west corner of the gold building at the corner of Duplex and Eglinton. There he looked around and began walking south along the edge of the roof on Eglinton, paused long enough for me to MISS a photo-op, disappeared from the edge and next thing I knew he was airborne again and flew towards the black building via the concrete wall on Canada Square. There he hung onto a grid, briefly,

With Haven’s wonderful guidance and assistance he flew to a black structure on top of the black building where he caught his breath and we caught ours.

I have no idea what time he next flew as I was barely keeping up now with camera, binoculars, notebook, pen (which I temporarily lost) and traffic lights but he flew again from the top of the structure on the black building to Canada Square and managed to get as far as the venting on the concrete wall, low down where he hung on for a few minutes.

Again with Haven’s help he flew once more and she guided him to the black building and attempted to help him with altitude but he was a tired little falcon but this time and settled on a narrow ledge where the black building meets bare concrete! Haven joined him and sat with him for a while before flying off. I think he really wanted to get back to the nest ledge but just did not make it today!

After all that excitement Haven finally *chuk-chuked* and had a serious talk to her first hatched and told him to stay put!! This he finally did.

There was a bit more flying – all Stormin and Havens! Haven flew onto the nest ledge, Stormin flew onto the nest ledge. When Stormin flew off he flew between the two condos and landed on some tiny ledge-cum-decoration on a building beyond them. He stayed put.

Haven finally put in a last appearance on the nest ledge and perched as I had seen her do so many times; back to the world and eye on her young. It was 9:36 and pitch dark when we left. At last look Simcoe was still on his last perch and the two eyases were on their levels on Canada Square.

What an exhausting day for the fledge watchers and of course Simcoe and Haven. Thanks to everyone who pitched in and kept an eye on where Simcoe flew to and from; Marion, Caroline, Maggie, Lance and Tracy. Thanks too, to the many who took the time to stop and find out what we were doing. It is *open house* every day at the corner until the eyases have all fledged and have become strong flyers so do drop in!

I have a strong feeling I missed reporting on one of Simcoe’s flights – I have no note of it but I feel something is missing.

I have no doubt Tracy will add her impressions of the evening so watch for her report and photo’s

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 19-Jun-12, 09:19:26 AM »

The Rescue of Brisk
June 18, 2012 - Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton

Tracy Simpson Reports:

Marion told this story of the rescue and release.
In order to find our little missing peregrine falcon, Marion went to Neil Armstrong of Northam Realty Advisors Limited for assistance. Marion searched the roof with no success. Neil Armstrong then took her to a floor overlooking the balconies to see if the fledgling was trapped on one. Success. Neil identified the suite immediately and took Marion there.
Neil and Marion held out towels and corralled him in a corner then Marion dropped a towel over him but he scooted out of a corner and behind a planter and then dropped down about a twenty feet deep shaft. Marion asked if there was a ladder and rope available and Neil immediately called the Maintenance Department to bring the equipment. No sooner said than done. The ladder was put down the shaft and tied off for stability and Marion went down to effect the rescue. She caught him and carried him up the ladder in her arms. Once he was inside Marion gave him a thorough examination and pronounced him fit and healthy and identified him as Brisk, who fledged yesterday!
So with a clean bill of health he was placed in the carrier and left. Neil went above and beyond the call and had the air conditioning switched on so that the office was cool for him.
This evening, thanks go to Neil of Paragon Security for facilitating the release. Marion had to take Brisk out in a towel, carry him to the balcony and unwrap him. He stayed where he was released.
Canadian Peregrine Foundation is very grateful to Neil Armstrong and his wonderful maintenance staff.
It is this sort of action from Building Managers which is helping tremendously in assuring the rebuilding of a species once extirpated in Ontario.
Lyn
Posted on June 19, 2012 9:04 am
Observation for Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton

margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 19-Jun-12, 09:46:51 AM »

WOW!  That is quite an adventure! 
 bow thumbsup
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 19-Jun-12, 09:51:26 AM »

clap Great job Marion,Neil and whoever else was involved with this rescue.  heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 25-Jun-12, 06:22:10 AM »

Sad News to Report at Canada Square
June 24, 2012 - Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton
Marion Nash Reports:

A call came into the office voice mail from a gentlemen who works in the Yonge and Eglinton area to inform us that one of our falcons was hit by a bus on Yonge St and did not survive. We have confirmed that it was little Brisk. It was very upsetting as we had hoped that since he seemed to be flying well after his first rescue that he would be a survivor but it was not to be.

Lyn and I have so far put in about 120 hours each at the Canada Square nest site and have conducted 2 rescues. Simcoe is flying very well and Solar has very much improved her flight skills. We hope the next couple days will see her flying with Mom, Dad and Simcoe high and strong.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 25-Jun-12, 07:40:40 AM »

Fly high and free, little Brisk. crying

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 25-Jun-12, 07:41:58 AM »

crying

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 25-Jun-12, 07:48:00 AM »

Too many angels this year...what's that quote Paul shares with us? (Likely paraphrasing-I have it saved at home)   

His life may have been short but he lived every minute of it as a peregrine falcon.

crying

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: