THE FORUM

11-Oct-24, 08:24:53 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sad images ... from gulf oil spill  (Read 13129 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11-Jun-10, 10:04:27 AM »

Donna-could you post a link to the original article?  A friend has some family in the area and is looking for a spot of uplifting news...thanks!

http://intbirdrescue.blogspot.com/2010/06/post-release-survival-of-oil-affected.html Here ya go Ei

I think it must be a different one...
[/quote]

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11-Jun-10, 07:43:28 PM »

Thanks again, Donna.  He told me more later in the day.  His mother-in-law lives on the bayou.  She wanted to volunteer to help the birds, but said she couldn't face caring for them knowing they would die anyway.  This is exactly the sort of factual information she needed.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: 12-Jun-10, 10:56:30 AM »

Another BP spill!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AAa0gd7ClM

valhalla
« Reply #18 on: 12-Jun-10, 11:17:06 AM »

Thanks Shaky - a little levity was needed  thumbsup
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12-Jun-10, 12:07:38 PM »

clap Was waiting for something like this to surface.

carla
Tiercel

Like Count: 78

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12-Jun-10, 06:36:32 PM »

clap Was waiting for something like this to surface.
Good one, thanks, carla
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14-Jun-10, 01:17:17 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/nation/one-birds-odyssey/

Click on each # for info : Not an easy task

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14-Jun-10, 01:31:04 PM »

wow   That's quite a process.  If BP doesn't go belly up after paying for this monstrous disaster I'll be very surprised.      grumble

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
chrissy
Pipping

Like Count: 6

Frodo checks my grammer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 16-Jun-10, 07:41:00 AM »

I'm waiting for "the yes men", inventors of the survivaball, to come up with a solution. 

We can submit our own solutions to the Coast Guard, btw,  http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0610/060710rb1.htm.  My suggestion is to plug the spill with BP executives.  Shaky, you can submit directly to Larry.     

". . they don’t do one thing but sing their hearts out for us. That’s why it’s a sin to kill a mockingbird."
      — Harper Lee
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 16-Jun-10, 07:50:57 AM »

I'm waiting for "the yes men", inventors of the survivaball, to come up with a solution. 

We can submit our own solutions to the Coast Guard, btw,  http://www.govexec.com/dailyfed/0610/060710rb1.htm.  My suggestion is to plug the spill with BP executives.  Shaky, you can submit directly to Larry.     

lol   I like the BP executive idea!   wave

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 16-Jun-10, 08:00:10 AM »

lol   I like the BP executive idea!   wave

It could work....Hmm! It's unbelievable that no one can come up with and idea except Chrissy!  2thumbsup

valhalla
« Reply #26 on: 16-Jun-10, 08:20:55 AM »

It's unbelievable that no one can come up with and idea except Chrissy!  2thumbsup

Friday and Saturday nights, both Hannity and Huckabee had a bunch of people on with some pretty good ideas.  I'm listening, but I am not .......
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 22-Jun-10, 07:59:00 AM »

Gulf spill response: Answers to frequent questions
From IBRRC's Jay Holcomb, who is at the center of the BP Gulf oiled bird response in Louisiana:

We are almost into July and have just taken in our 600th bird here in Louisiana at the Fort Jackson Bird Rehabilitation Center. The majority of those birds have come into the center in the last 2 weeks when a section of oil was carried to shore near Grand Isle, LA and impacted many brown pelicans and other smaller bird species. We currently have about 300 clean and beautiful brown pelicans outside in large cages getting ready for release. They are starting to be released today in groups and we will continue to release them twice a week until they are all gone. There are currently about 100 oiled pelicans in the building waiting to be washed and some smaller species of birds such as gulls and herons.

The heat here is very difficult to work in but everyone is doing well and moving the birds through the rehabilitation process. We have set up specific times for the media to come and film the birds and the work so that it limits the stress on people and animals. The media has been very cooperative with us.

I play a few roles here in Ft. Jackson and one is the External Affairs role that puts me in touch with the media and the world at large so I thought I would take this opportunity to answer some of the main questions that I am being asked daily.

Question: Where the pelicans are going to be released?

Answer: The pelicans are being flown to the Aransas National Wildlife Refuge in Texas. Will they come back to Louisiana? There is that possibility but the US Fish & Wildlife Service has determined that this is the best place to release them at this time. It is a long way from the spill so we are hoping that they stay in the area, at least for a while. The smaller inland birds are being released in the Sherburne Wildlife Management Area just north of Lafayette as they become ready.

Q: How long is IBRRC and Tri-State Bird Rescue going to be in the Gulf of Mexico helping care for the birds?

A: Well, as long as the oil is gushing from the earth and birds are at risk of getting oiled then we will be here.

Q: Is BP supporting your efforts to care for the oiled birds?

A: Yes, BP is the responsible party and is paying for all the costs associated with the care and rehabilitation of oiled birds. IBRRC and Tri-State Bird Rescue are hired to manage the rehabilitation program for the oiled birds from this spill so in actuality we are contractors for BP.

Q: What will the success rate be for oiled brown pelicans?

A: It's impossible to predict the future but these are very healthy and strong birds and have a good chance at surviving the rehabilitation process. The majority of these birds are handling the stress of oiling, washing and rehabilitation extremely well, as expected. Over 300 of them have been cleaned and are in outside aviaries at this time getting ready for release. Brown pelicans typically have a high survival rate in oil spills when they are captured early on and given the appropriate care, as has happened here to date. I expect the majority of them to make it but time will tell and we will report on these birds as we move through the spill.

Q: How can people help or donate?

A: Well, as I have said before, we currently have plenty of help and are not in need of volunteers. As well as the Tri-State and IBRRC response teams, wildlife paraprofessionals from the Gulf Coast States are supplementing our workforce. In Louisiana, this is being coordinated by LSART (Louisiana State Animal Response Team).

Regarding donating to the cause, there are pelicans and thousands of other wild animals all over the country that need help and are cared for by wildlife rehabilitators. I urge everyone to locate their local wildlife rehabilitation organization and support them and their great work in helping our precious wildlife get a second chance at life. Check with your state department of Fish and Game and they can help you locate a worthy wildlife rehabilitation organization.

Beware of the NGO’s (non-governmental organizations) that claim they are raising money to help either restore the gulf or set up mass volunteer networks for spill response. Everyone wants a piece of this pie and a number of these groups who have never done much about oil spill response in the past are now asking for money, holding fundraising events, telethons etc. and using many tactics including celebrity endorsement and the media. They are opportunistic and take advantage of every oil spill or big disaster and I strongly urge you just to be cautious. Before you donate ask how and where your money will be spent before you give.

Again, the real unsung and under-funded heroes who help wildlife around this country are the wildlife rehabilitation organizations who work 24/7 to care for our precious wildlife. They are hands on, on the front lines and the results of their efforts can be witnessed every time they release a rehabilitated animal back into the wild. My strong suggestion is that you support these organizations if you really want to help wildlife!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 22-Jun-10, 08:13:54 AM »

wave   Thanks Donna! Boy they do good work on these birds.   clap

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 27-Jun-10, 10:26:51 PM »

The magnificent brown pelican stood on the shore, wings wide open, displaying its 6-foot wing span. Every inch of the big bird's body was covered with thick brown sludge from BP's Deepwater Horizon oil spill.

The photograph of that bird ran in the Post-Gazette and many other newspapers. It was part of the endless array of horrifying images from this ecological disaster. We've seen the grieving relatives of 11 oil rig workers killed in the initial April 20 blast, out-of-work fishermen picking up tar balls from spoiled beaches, and the iconic "live!" footage of continuously gushing oil, many thousands of feet under the sea.

The fate of sea birds (including gulls, terns, cranes and herons) may not be the biggest tragedy. But for me, brown pelicans have become the "face" of the Gulf oil spill.

A total of 1,150 "oiled birds" had been collected by June 18 -- 885 of them dead, and 665 alive -- according to the National Audubon Society. Forty-two of the survivors have been released. More oiled birds are collected every day. They're washed with Dawn detergent, the de-greaser of choice for trained wildlife rehabilitators who clean up messes created by others.

"Wildlife do not perceive oil as a threat" and so they dive into oil-soaked water, said Dave Mizejewski, a naturalist with the National Wildlife Federation. "All pelicans know is that when they dive into the ocean for fish, they come out covered in oil."

Mr. Mizejewski has made several trips to the Gulf rehab centers to lend support and expertise. Oil hurts pelicans and other birds in a variety of ways, he said. They can get chemical burns to their skin, the structure of their feathers can be destroyed and fumes can cause respiratory problems. When soaked in oil, they can't fly, so they can't soar over the water and dive for the fish that they eat.

Birds constantly groom or "preen" their feathers. Swallowing the oil they preen from their feathers can kill them.

"The washing process is traumatic for the birds," Mr. Mizejewski said, and some may die of stress. "And after you wash and release them, what are they going to eat?"

The oil spill is damaging habitat and food sources in the Gulf of Mexico, along the shore and in the wetlands of Louisiana of other Gulf states.

What can animal lovers do to help brown pelicans and other oiled birds? Surprisingly, we can't directly help them, not with cash and not with hands-on help. BP is paying for wildlife rescue and clean-up, as well it should.

Leading the hands-on bird-washing is a Delaware-based organization, Tri-State Bird Rescue and Research, with an assist from a West Coast organization, International Bird Rescue Research Center. The U.S. Fish & Wildlife Services manages and oversees the rehab work.

Unauthorized people can't just show up and help. It's hazardous work, and special training and equipment are needed. Untrained volunteers also could damage the eggs and nests of birds and turtles.

Many animal and environmental groups are helping, including the National Audubon Society and National Wildlife Federation. Donations to any of these organizations will help brown pelicans and other Gulf coast wildlife. Both groups have worked in the Gulf for decades, and they say they'll be there after the headlines and reporters go away.

"Audubon is inspired by the 26,000 people who have contacted us to help" in the Gulf spill, said Delta Willis, senior communications manager.

Hundreds of Audubon volunteers have helped transfer oiled birds from boats to vehicles. They've prepared food for rescued birds. They've helped with government paperwork.

Volunteers with Audubon and NWF are being trained to do beach surveys to spot and report wildlife that needs help. Both groups are spending a lot of time dealing with media, and NWF has chartered boats to take reporters on tours. The Tri-State group did not return phone calls this week. Presumably its personnel is too busy taking care of brown pelicans and other wildlife, and that would be the best use of their time.

The Audubon and NWF have always spent a lot of time and effort lobbying for legislation that would help the environment. They'll continue to do so, with a special push for laws and policies that would avert future disasters like the BP spill.

And there's a way we can help without spending money: Contact your elected officials, especially U.S. representatives and senators, and tell them to support laws and regulations that would help the animals and the environment.

Do your homework. Check out websites to see what kind of legislation is being proposed. Here are some websites to get you started:

• www.tristatebird.org

• www.audubon.org

• www.nwf.org

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: