THE FORUM

24-Apr-24, 10:17:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Richmond, VA Falcons  (Read 78274 times)
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« on: 13-Aug-09, 04:09:26 PM »

Eyasses are due to be released from their pen on Tues, Aug. 18.  Anyone who is an experienced fledge watcher is needed.  You can google Richmond, VA falcons or

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/falconcam2008/

The link is really to the 2009 falcons.  It is quite a story.  I am sorry if others have posted the history.  I didn't mean to duplicate.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings”
William Blake
valhalla
« Reply #1 on: 13-Aug-09, 05:15:10 PM »

Thanks for the info!  I always look for the juvies when we go to the Richmond Race in September, so with a little over 3 weeks - I'll be watching!   thumbsup
annieinelkhart
Juvie

Like Count: 23

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13-Aug-09, 07:07:44 PM »

I can't wait for them to be released!  They look so anxious to take off!   hyper  They won't be hanging around that ledge long!   Wink  I look in often and if I could be over there I would sign up for some watch times for sure!  My Sailor Son lives in Virginia Beach in the Navy notworthy and now in Iraq  crying  bow  But I am super proud of that guy!  So he won't be of any help either!!  Will hope from here all is GREAT with the remaining 3!

EVERY DAY I THANK OUR TROOPS FOR ALL THEY DO FOR US!  IT IS THE LEAST I CAN DO!
valhalla
« Reply #3 on: 14-Aug-09, 06:56:24 AM »

Annie - Prayers for your son and YOU!   Smiley
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14-Aug-09, 07:38:36 AM »

I can't wait for them to be released!  They look so anxious to take off!   hyper  They won't be hanging around that ledge long!   Wink  I look in often and if I could be over there I would sign up for some watch times for sure!  My Sailor Son lives in Virginia Beach in the Navy notworthy and now in Iraq  crying  bow  But I am super proud of that guy!  So he won't be of any help either!!  Will hope from here all is GREAT with the remaining 3!

BLESS HIM!  angel

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14-Aug-09, 07:43:48 AM »

Hi,

Eyasses are due to be released from their pen on Tues, Aug. 18.
[...]

Is the release on a webcam to see?

Greetings
Annette

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14-Aug-09, 08:35:19 AM »

Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Fledging

Our three young falcons have grown quickly. Only a few scattered tufts of down remain and their juvenile plumage is almost fully grown in. Peregrine falcons typically fledge between 40-45 days after hatching.

The door-opener apparatus will be installed on the pen door on Tuesday morning, August 18th. This will mark 47 to 48 days since hatching for these falcons. The extra time ensures full feather development, and allows these birds to strengthen their flight muscles before attempting their first flights.

The “apparatus” is comprised of a weight, bungee cords, and a plastic bottle of ice attached to the pen door. As the ice melts it releases the weight and the door is slowly pulled open by the bungee cords. Depending on the temperature on the release date, the door should open about 2-4 hours after the trigger is attached. We have used this method successfully for three years. Though the adults become aggressive when we attach the device, they quickly calm down after we leave. Past releases have gone very smoothly, with the chicks typically walking from the pen or flying to the ledge, surveying their surroundings for a few minutes or hours, and then taking successful first flights.

DGIF personnel and skilled volunteers will be stationed in the area surrounding the nest building. This will allow us to track the young birds’ first efforts and ensure that they are capable of sustained, controlled flight. This monitoring effort will continue until we are confident in the flight abilities of the fledglings. Should one of the fledglings encounter difficulty and end up on the ground, DGIF staff will recover the fledgling and either return it to the ledge or ensure prompt treatment and transportation to a licensed rehabilitation facility if necessary.

annieinelkhart
Juvie

Like Count: 23

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 14-Aug-09, 09:00:25 AM »

OT Thank you for the prayers and well wishers for that son of mine!  Do keep all our military people in our thoughts and prayers!   star yes bravo  They all are awesome!

Now back to the VA falcons,  sorry to vere away!

EVERY DAY I THANK OUR TROOPS FOR ALL THEY DO FOR US!  IT IS THE LEAST I CAN DO!
Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 14-Aug-09, 10:11:42 AM »

Here's the link to the web cam and a picture from just now:

William Blake
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14-Aug-09, 10:23:23 AM »

Hi,

Here's the link to the web cam and a picture from just now:

thank you very much for link.  Smiley

Greetings
Annette

Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: 20-Aug-09, 12:45:10 PM »

Dear All,

I got my fledgling fix here in Richmond, VA.  My pictures are coming.  Here is the article from the Richmond Times Dispatch.  It is only available the day of publication (I think).  My pictures will come soon.

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/FALC20_20090819-210606/287081/

Here is the text:

By Rex Springston

Published: August 20, 2009

SLIDESHOW: Young falcons take flight
Falcon flight. Watch young Peregrines learning to fly in downtown Richmond. Keyword: slideshow

Richmond, we have liftoff.

Three young peregrine falcons successfully took wing in downtown Richmond Tuesday and again yesterday.

Volunteers and state game officials watched to make sure the birds didn't plummet into traffic or get into some other kind of trouble.

The only bird that had a problem was a female that tried a couple of times to latch on to windows. The bird would slide away, exhausted but OK.

"She's got a perception issue," said Stephen Living, a wildlife biologist with the state Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. "Falcons didn't evolve with glass."

As he spoke, the bird rested on a ledge under a parking-deck window just east of Kanawha Plaza at Eighth and Canal streets.

The falcons had spent nearly three weeks in a pen adjoining their nest on a 21st-story walkway at Riverfront Plaza, 901 E. Byrd St. The pen kept them from jumping too soon or being blown off.

A game department biologist opened the pen Tuesday morning. All three birds eventually took flight and stayed close to their parents downtown.

"All three are fat and happy and being fed by their parents," said Ray Fernald, manager of nongame programs for the game department.

Peregrine falcons are crow-sized predators that can dive at 200 mph to catch a bird to eat. There are only about 20 peregrine nests in Virginia. A pair has nested downtown since 2003.

Almost as interesting as the falcons yesterday were the volunteers, who kept binoculars and spotting scopes trained on the youngsters and their parents as the birds soared across the sky or perched on Riverfront Plaza and nearby buildings.

One of the volunteers, kindergarten teacher Bonnie Talluto, 65, drove seven hours from her home outside New York City.

The opening of the pen meant Talluto was almost assured of seeing the majestic birds take wing. "This is a sure thing," she said.

Barbara Slatcher, a Hanover County wildlife-rehabilitation expert, said thousands of people around the world have been watching the Richmond falcons on a webcam that the game department set up.

Slatcher said other webcams soon will take her interest far beyond Richmond. "Australia will start to hatch in a little while."

Contact Rex Springston at (804) 649-6453 or rspringston@timesdispatch.com .

William Blake
Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 20-Aug-09, 01:03:15 PM »

We left all five birds in sight last night at 5 pm just before a storm came in.  And every building person who came by was asked to keep an eye on the falcons.  One lady in the Federal Reserve building has neglected her job to keep watch.  She is responsible for some of the rescues.

Here is the VA DGIF (Virginia Dept of Game and Inland Fisheries) link:

They have been giving updates daily.  All five were seen this morning.  The big, young female can get quite a distance with her gigantic wings, so she is getting into some trouble.  But she seemed to learn very quickly to avoid the windows.  I saw her make a 90 degree turn.  She is beginning to get a hang of the landings, too.  The little male is an aerialist.

William Blake
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 20-Aug-09, 02:05:40 PM »

bunny Hey Bonnie, now you're in print and famous!  I'm sure it was worth the long drive to see them fledge.

Dot in PA
valhalla
« Reply #13 on: 20-Aug-09, 02:15:00 PM »

I'm so happy they all fledged successfully.  I couldn't watch (can't type either) because I'm having problems with the AIX player at work, which is probably just as well.
« Last Edit: 20-Aug-09, 04:21:27 PM by Janet » Logged
Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 20-Aug-09, 02:38:02 PM »

It really was just as exciting as being in Rochester.  Lots of great people.  They need more watchers, though.  There are really only two people who watch on the ground and the one lady in the building directly across from the scrape.  Here are a few pictures.  The first two are of the big girl.  She spent the night on that lamp post.  It was all fenced in the Fed Reserve area and almost the safest place she ever could have been.   Next is the one who climbed up those light bulbs on Tuesday and then fledged.  Last is ...

William Blake
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: