THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 10:00:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1016081 times)
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #660 on: 13-Nov-11, 07:00:57 AM »

!!! MEC - The Last Four Days - This is a Must Read!!!
November 12, 2011 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Mississauga MEC
Tracy Simpson Reports:

The last four days at the Mississauga Executive Centre has the makings of a really good blockbuster movie; an accident, a daring rescue, the impossible recovery, the triumphant return, the other woman, the standoff and the happy ending.

The Accident:  We recieved a call at our head office in Toronto on Wednesday Nov. 9th that an adult peregrine falcon had been recovered at the base of one of the towers following a high speed impact with a window.  The bird was found lying face down on the ground by the MEC security team.  They immediately recognized the falcon as being one of their resident adults and although they didn’t witness the impact itself, they knew that this bird was in serious trouble.

The Daring Rescue:   The amazing folks at the MEC security responded immediately to assist the now unconscious and tremoring bird.  They placed her in a box in the security office of MEC 1 and called the CPF office for help.  Marion took the call and dispatched Bruce Massey to the scene and informed me as I was on my way back through the area.  She then called the Toronto Wildlife Centre to let them know we were on our way with a case of head trauma.  When Bruce arrived on site, he opened the box to make a quick assessment of the bird.  Initially, it looked as though she was no longer alive.  Her eyes were closed and her breathing undetectable.  He moved to touch her and she responded with an attempt to lift her head and move her tail.  Her attempt to stand failed.  Bruce transferred her to his vehicle and headed straight for Toronto Wildlife.

The Impossible Recovery:   Upon arriving at the Centre, the bird was immediately taken into assessment for examination.  Once out of the box, she could barely maintain consciousness and was incapable of holding her head up.  Her band numbers confirmed that this bird was the resident female at the MEC site named Infinity.  The vet tech on staff that examined her placed her in an oxygen chamber and gave her an anti-inflammatory.  There was very little optimism expressed that she would survive to recover, her condition appearing too grave.  They would give her the night and re-assess in the morning.  The staff at TWC walked in Thursday morning to a most unexpected surprise; Infinity was awake and alert!!  She was assessed for any broken bones or other trauma but there was none!!  She was placed in an aviary and given some time to settle in; her recovery considered to be quite incredible and quick for a bird completely incapable of standing less than 24 hours earlier.  Marion at the CPF head office kept in close contact with the TWC as to her condition and potential for release.  By Friday Nov. 11, the TWC called our office to inform us that she was ready to go and she was behaving as if she was quite eager to be off.  The release was set for Saturday; news that we were overjoyed to hear.

The Triumphant Return:  Frank and I left early this morning to head down to TWC to pick up Infinity for release.  We were amazed at her speedy recovery and were looking forward to sending her home.  We drove out to the MEC site in silence, both of us really excited to do this.  When we arrived, we pulled into MEC 2 to check the site out first.  I had been here on Thursday to look for possible reasons why this accident might have occurred.  I was concerned that a territorial battle with another female might have caused her to crash, but there was no female on site during my visit.  That was not to be the case today.

The Other Woman:  From MEC 2, Frank and I could clearly see the resident male sitting one series of windows to the left of the nest box and to his right, there was another adult female sunning herself.  The male didn’t seem disturbed by her presence but I can’t blame him, she was huge!!  She made two recon flights around MEC 1 at low altitudes and high speeds and was definately reacting to her own reflection in the mirrored glass windows of the building.  After two round-a-bouts, this unbanded interloper then did the most unacceptable thing; she flew over and perched on the roof of Infinity’s nest box!!  There she called to the resident male in hopes of drawing him in but he stayed put.  He vocalized several times but not with a courting or alarm call; it was more like juvenile food begging.  I immediately called Mark and we discussed our options.  Three things were undeniable; Infinity needed to be released, there was another female in her territory and no matter where we released her Infinity was going to make a bee-line directly home.  We decided on a release site northwest of the nest building.  I left Frank at MEC for the inevitable arrival of Infinity so that he was in position to assist.  When I arrived at the release site, I put the box on top of a picnic table and opened the door.  Infinity didn’t even step forward before launching herself straight into the wind and directly towards her nest site.  She was on site in less than 3 minutes.

The Standoff by Frank:  We called Mark Nash to advise him of the situation and seek his advice about
where to release Infinity. We were going to release her but where? To
release right at MEC seemed like we were setting her up to be attacked
immediately without time to collect herself. Where then? Mark
and Tracy discussed possible sites, each with their benefits
and drawbacks, while I waited in the car,contemplating the very same things. We
all figured that she would immediately head back to MEC no matter where she was
released.  Leaving MEC and going a
great distance away would have meant no one was on site to observe if
Infinity came back, witness if a territorial battle took place and affect a rescue
should one be necessary. After much discussion, the plan was
to take Infinity several kilometres off site and release her in a park
nearby fully expecting her to return to MEC ASAP. We thought the distance would
give her time to adjust to her regained freedom. Tracy set out for the
location while I waited at MEC with carrier and rescue towel in hand and binoculars and
camera at the ready. Both the adult
male and the “intruder” left my view towards Square One Mall. Tracy called at that
moment and said she was moments from releasing Infinity. Tracy and I knew that
with both falcons away from the site that it was perfect time. Tracy called back to tell me Infinity
flew immediately on her release with speed and purpose in the direction of MEC.
I began scanning the sky for her arrival, hoping there wouldn’t be a territorial
battle. Inifinity arrived in under 3 minutes and headed straight into HER
nestbox. She had reclaimed her territory and loudly announced her return. The
male came in flying fast with the “intruder” female close behind. She made a
pass of the nest building and then landed right on the landing platform of the
nestbox. I thought OHHH MY!! there is going to be trouble! To my surprise only a
stare down took place,with the “intruder” female flying off the box without an
audible sound. Soon all 3 falcons were in the air over the building.  The male
decided to get out of the way and let the ladies settle things. He sat quietly
on the ledge over from the nestbox. Infinity landed at the nestbox again and the
“intruder” went the other direction. Crisis seemingly over Infinity decided to
fly around the corner of the building and sit on the Symcor sign. Soon the
“intruder” returned screaming at Infinity. I knew when she went out there she
would be forced into action. Infinity took off and from above her the “intruder”
attacked,going into a stoop. Infinity took evasive action and no contact was
made with her. Infinity chased the “intruder” out of sight towards the mall.
Minutes that seemed like hours later,one bird returned and flew to the nestbox.
Tracy arrived
back at this point and began taking photos. We were both reasonably certain the
returning falcon was Infinity,but that was clinched when Tracy began jumping up
and down with excitement and joy that she had taken a photo which showed the
Peregrine in the box had a band on,which meant it was definetly Infinity. Over
the next several hours Infinity moved around very little,guarding HER nestbox.
She called out a few times when the “intruder” made rather distant flybys.
Eventually she was comfortable enough to fall fast asleep,assured in herself
that she had chased off the intruder.

The Happy Ending:  We left the site as the sun was starting to go down feeling safe in the knowledge that Infinity was back as resident female at MEC.  She was tucked in next to her nest box with her head under her wing in a deep sleep.  All the while, her dashing male sat on the northern corner watching over her and thinking about spring.  Frank and I will be back on site tomorrow to ensure that all is well with the happy couple and that the ”other woman” has not returned.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #661 on: 13-Nov-11, 07:32:07 AM »

OMG!!! What a story and what a trooper Infinity is, surviving such trauma. If the name fits, wear it! Wishing for peace at that site.

Thanks to all who helped rescue and take care of that tough gal.  clap

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #662 on: 13-Nov-11, 07:38:00 AM »

!!! Sick Collared Coyote Near Leslie Spit
November 12, 2011 - International, National and Local News
Frank Butson Reports:

While Tracy and I were out birding last weekend,we saw a Coyote that was radio collared. (the type followed with the antena contraption listening for blips) We were confused by it at first,especially given the poor condition of the animal. It had virtually no hair left and was so skinny you could see every one of its ribs. Mange is going through Toronto right now,which while a crying shame,is natures own population control.  We noted the time…230pm,along Unwin Street. Not a Peregrine report,but we got permission to post. Keep a close rein on your dogs so they dont come in contact with ill Coyotes or Foxes.

The tracking device was put there by the Ministry of Natural Resources to track Coyote movement. I was surprised to learn that Coyotes ranged so far. One was tracked in Toronto one day and 3 or 4 days later it was in Peterborough! Its easy to see why mange becomes widespread during an outbreak.

Poor thing! Since it's being monitored, can't they capture and cure...or...so it doesn't spread this?

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #663 on: 13-Nov-11, 09:33:03 AM »

clap OMG I only saw Infinity once but as I read about her injury I started to cry and then I gathered myself only to start crying again at her recovery,release and reclaiming of her territory. These birds are so amazing and so in my heart and soul. I could not imagine my life without them in it now. Thanks so much CPF and the people from MEC for being there for this girl! All are heroes in my eyes!!!  heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #664 on: 13-Nov-11, 10:10:08 AM »

Fantastic story!  clap

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #665 on: 13-Nov-11, 03:07:13 PM »

I do hope that all stays peaceful here.   yes

Peregrines know no borders.....
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #666 on: 16-Nov-11, 06:55:08 PM »

An update on Infinity: what an incredible recovery she has made. I hope that she will have no long term effects from this event.

All is Well at MEC

Tracy Simpson Reports:

Frank and I decided to check in on Infinity and her mate at the Mississauga Executive Centre today.  When we arrived, one adult was in the air flying lazy circles around the nest building and the other was out of our sight. We watched the airborne bird make two flights around MEC 1, then two more above  the roof of MEC 2, a quick run around MEC 3 and then finally landing on MEC 4. The bird had made a full  recon flight of all four buildings and it was quite a beautiful, lengthy flight in rather strong winds. It turns out that the adult was Infinity showing clearly that there are no lasting effects from her impact  with the tower just 5 days ago. We drove around and found the male on MEC 2 facing the nest box and looking like the king of the world. Infinity then took off and flew over to her nest box and roosted on the top for a good half an hour. After a short nap, she took off and joined the male on MEC 2 who wasn’t going anywhere, especially with the outrageous crop he was showing!! Infinity stayed for a few minutes then headed back to the nest building, this time roosting on the corner of the ledge to the right of the box. The male took off and joined her there where they spent the rest of the afternoon. I can’t remember the last time I have seen a wild pair so happy and contented. It left Frank and I feeling like at that  moment that all was well with the world. It was an “aww” moment!!

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2011/11/sightings/all-is-well-at-mec/
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #667 on: 16-Nov-11, 07:01:18 PM »

thumbsup

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #668 on: 16-Nov-11, 07:20:10 PM »

Amazing Infinity!

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #669 on: 21-Nov-11, 07:25:44 PM »

Mississauga Executive Centre

A new update on Infinity, from the Canadian Peregrine Foundation: what an incredible recovery she has made.

Checking Up on Our Girl Infinity

Tracy Simpson Reports:

Frank and I stopped in today at the MEC site to check in on Infinity and her mate Eternity. We found Eternity on MEC 2 in his favourite spot facing the nest building but we couldn’t initially spot Infinity. As we were changing sightlines, she glided in from the northeast and swooped up beautifully to land on MEC 3. She wasn’t there long before she was off again and flew lazy recon circles around all of her buildings. She made a pass in front of Eternity and he then decided to join her in the sky for a tandem flight up to the nest box. This was followed by a great deal of vocalizations with her on top of the box and Eternity on the northern most corner of MEC 1. The male then took off on a hunt while she remained on the nest building. We were then joined by Winston who we were pleased to introduce to this site and pair. We then watched as Infinity made a very determined flight to the north but she was gone only a few minutes before returning to the nest building. It was there she stayed and relaxed through the rest of the evening.

Photos from the CPF site:

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #670 on: 21-Nov-11, 09:39:52 PM »

thanx  Grin

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #671 on: 21-Nov-11, 09:41:36 PM »

Infinity & Eternity  heart Great, she is fine after her collision!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #672 on: 27-Nov-11, 08:39:40 AM »

The CPF Visits Wild Birds Unlimited
November 24, 2011 - CPF Events
Tracy Simpson Reports:

Last night Frank and I had a fantastic evening visiting the Wild Birds Unlimited store on Yonge St. in Richmond Hill.  This is the third year that we have attended Debbie and Andy Neale’s store and its always a great evening.  Two of our educational birds, Seamus the North American Barn Owl and Max the Harris Hawk, were in attendance and spent two hours with a crowd of 50 or more people.  It was amazing how many familiar faces were there; folks that have been a part of the presentations each year.  We also met many new people that we were able to introduce to the beauty of birds of prey and the struggles they face in the wild.  There were followers of Rhea Mae and Tiago in the audience along with young budding ornithologists and photography enthusiasts.  It really was a great night!!  Thank you so much Debbie and Andy for a wonderful evening and all of the folks that continue to support the CPF’s efforts with Peregrine falcons!!

!!! Checking In on the OPG Nanticoke Peregrines
November 24, 2011 - International, National and Local News
Tracy Simpson Reports:

This week I have been delivering Project School Visit to students throughout the Haldimand area and have been having a fabulous time.  Yesterday, I was joined at Walpole North Elementary by Jacob Clements from OPG Nanticoke, the sponsor for the school, where we enjoyed the morning sharing the story of the Peregrine falcon with almost 100 students.  Afterwards, Jacob took me down to the plant for a check in with the territorial female residing there.   It was just this past June that the CPF and OMNR were at the site banding the three young hatchlings; the first hatch in the plant’s history.  At the time, there was no territoial male to speak of and according to our on-site eyes, Ulrich Waterman, there had been a fierce battle between two males that most likely left Marla with no male at all.  My goal was to check in and see if anything had changed for the resident female as available males migrating through may have stopped and stayed.

After checking in with security, Jacob and I toured the grounds of the plant looking for signs of peregrines.  As we were coming around to the lake side, I caught sight of a male and female peregrine moving west towards the stacks and then, out of nowhere, another female peregrine came at them in hot pursuit.  The male circled one of the stacks and landed on the light while the two females were having it out.  One female landed on the lower elevation of the plant after launching a stoop attack on the other female.  The female on the roof turned out to be Marla, the red tape over her UPFW band apparent in the pictures I was able to take.  The other female took off from our view leaving the resident female to sit, very agitated and alarm calling, on the plant roof.  Moments later, Marla took off again in pursuit of what we now knew was a challenging adult female in her territory.  The pursuit took them around the plant and out of our view for a few moments until Marla returned and made her way up to the light on the stack opposite her new male.  As we came around the west side of the plant, the interloper took off from a low position and flew a very low and very powered flight around the plant and off towards the lake.  As Jacob drove me back to my vehicle, both Marla and her male were kiting above the stacks together and then headed off to the north.   

While I was unable to identify either the new male or the rogue today, it is exciting to see that Marla now has a mate.  As the OPG Nanticoke plant is not a facility that is open to visitors, the CPF, Ulrich Waterman from BC International and Jacob Clements from OPG are going to continue to be your eyes and ears on your local pair of peregrines.  We will post all of the news and pictures on our website so that you can stay in touch with Ms. Marla and her new mate.  A huge thank you to Ontario Power Generation Nanticoke for sponsoring the Haldimand area schools this week and a special thank you to Jacob Clements for attending the presentation and taking time with me at the plant for a check in.  Your support of the peregrines at the plant and our education program is so greatly appreciated!!

Female On The Hunt
November 23, 2011 - Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton
Frank Butson Reports:

Reporting for Lyn

A short report today, 20111123
 I crossed over Eglinton from the bank and saw the female peregrine making a bee-line for something low along Eglinton and then she swerved behind the Bell Canada building. I waited for a few minutes and saw her return to her perch on the south face of the Rio-Can building. She sat for a minute or two and again swept off the perch, over the corner of  the Canada Square building, over Yonge Street and then she reappeared from behind the CIBC building on the corner. Again she returned to her perch and at this point I went inside - I was freezing!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #673 on: 04-Dec-11, 05:34:02 PM »

Record Raptor Count and ID’d Peregrine
December 04, 2011 - International, National and Local News
Frank Butson Reports:

This past fall,the raptor watch I started several years ago had a record count. My buddy Walter carried it on in my abscence this season and did a wonderful job. From mid-August until end November 6626 birds of prey were counted flying in,over and around Rosetta McClain Gardens in Toronto,atop the western end of the Scarborough Bluffs.

The final tally included:
Turkey Vulture - 1866
Osprey - 125
Bald Eagle - 67
Northern Harrier - 212
Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1781
Cooper’s Hawk - 96
Northern Goshawk - 20
Red-shouldered Hawk - 29
Broad-winged Hawk - 757
Red-tailed Hawk - 858
Rough-legged Hawk - 9
Golden Eagle - 5
American Kestrel - 624
Merlin - 130
Peregrine Falcon - 47
Total - 6626
The number of Peregrine Falcons was down considerably from last seasons high of 85(the count has run since 2004). This could be owing to many factors,but is definetly something to be aware of in the ongoing monitoring of the Peregrine Falcon’s recovery. This past season,failed nests and unhatched eggs were a widespread issue,not only in southern Ontario,but in other areas of North America. Back in October one of the watches dedicated followers,friend and CPF volunteer Ann Brokelman took some fantastic photos of a young Peregrine Falcon which passed our site. So good  that we could read its band numbers. It was a juvenile bird from 2011. The first 2 years of a falcon’s life it lives up to its name,which means wanderer. Peregrine Falcons fly all over until they are sexually mature and then will search for a mate and territory.  The young Peregrine which Ann photographed was from Ohio. Its band numbers were black over red 79 over H and a purple US Fish and Wildlife band. With that information CPF was able to  obtain her ID. Cententiel as she was named by plant staff,was hatched in East Cleveland Ohio USA,at the Lakeshore Power Plant nest. This sighting and photos have been passed on to Ohio DNR and to the folks at the power plant. We are assured they will be very pleased to hear of Centeniel being reported alive and well.

Both of these reports highlight 2 of the important functions of The Canadian Peregrine Foundation,banding and monitoring. At a time when there are so many environmental threats,additional ones from habitat changes and new chemical threats,these are critical. 
Thanks to Ann  for the continued use of her photos.

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2011/12/sightings/record-raptor-count-and-idd-peregrine/ Pics here.

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #674 on: 04-Dec-11, 05:39:19 PM »

Frank's right.  There were so many failed nest sites, including our two nest sites here in Rochester.  Very sad.   Sad

Peregrines know no borders.....
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: