THE FORUM

07-Sep-24, 10:41:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1078571 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #1635 on: 11-Jul-14, 08:27:29 AM »

And, if his ID is verified, Simcoe is the son of Stormin' and Haven...Stormin' being the son of Rhea Mae & Tiago! Another M&K great grandbaby twice over!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1636 on: 11-Jul-14, 08:29:38 AM »

Isn't the baby the cutest  wub2.  They're banding him/her on Saturday morning!

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1637 on: 11-Jul-14, 08:32:21 AM »

And, if his ID is verified, Simcoe is the son of Stormin' and Haven...Stormin' being the son of Rhea Mae & Tiago! Another M&K great grandbaby twice over!

I'm guessing he has been confirmed and Mark was just posting 'catch up posts' as this was just posted after the first original post.

!!!Simcoe has surfaced - now nesting with his mate named Alfrieda in Oshawa Ontario - they are parents!!
July 11, 2014 - Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton
CPF Postmaster Reports:
July 10th - 2014

Some great news to report,, in that Simcoe, the young peregrine that was produced here at the Canada Square nest site at Yonge & Eglinton back in 2012 has surfaced with a mate, and they have been successful in producing their first hatchling in Oshawa, at the Lakeview Health Centre Hospital.
We have scheduled a banding for this young hatchling this Saturday - July 12th at 10am, and you are all invited to attend.

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1638 on: 11-Jul-14, 10:01:36 AM »

Oh, my goodness!  A double dose of M&K genes!  What a special little eyas!   heart  wub2 heart

Peregrines know no borders.....
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1639 on: 11-Jul-14, 10:15:25 AM »

I'm guessing he has been confirmed and Mark was just posting 'catch up posts' as this was just posted after the first original post.

!!!Simcoe has surfaced - now nesting with his mate named Alfrieda in Oshawa Ontario - they are parents!!
July 11, 2014 - Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton
CPF Postmaster Reports:
July 10th - 2014

Some great news to report,, in that Simcoe, the young peregrine that was produced here at the Canada Square nest site at Yonge & Eglinton back in 2012 has surfaced with a mate, and they have been successful in producing their first hatchling in Oshawa, at the Lakeview Health Centre Hospital.
We have scheduled a banding for this young hatchling this Saturday - July 12th at 10am, and you are all invited to attend.

Darn!  I would so love to attend this banding!   clap

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1640 on: 11-Jul-14, 11:07:46 AM »

And the caption is... "My parents are cousins. I hope they don't name me Cletus or Brandine."

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1641 on: 11-Jul-14, 11:48:56 AM »

And the caption is... "My parents are cousins. I hope they don't name me Cletus or Brandine."

Doh!!  spit
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1642 on: 11-Jul-14, 12:26:31 PM »

2funny

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1643 on: 11-Jul-14, 01:14:29 PM »

Let's see.  Rhea Mae is a Great Grandma and Diamante is a Grandpa and Mariah and Kaver are both Great Grandparents and Great Great Grandparents and .....   silly

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1644 on: 13-Jul-14, 09:20:18 AM »

Baby got banded!

Rare falcon born atop Oshawa hospital

A happy, healthy and feathered baby arrived recently at an Ontario hospital to a pair of rare peregrine falcons nesting atop Lakeridge Health in Oshawa.

Engineering staff noticed the birds — and their egg — while doing roof work atop the hospital.

The baby falcon, believed to have hatched roughly one month ago, was discovered earlier this week, according to a statement from hospital officials.

These birds are not seen very often,” said Lakeridge CEO Kevin Empey. “When we first noticed them, we alerted birding professionals because they track each one. And now they have a new baby to track.”

The female chick was named Salveo, Latin for “to be well” or “to be in good health.” She weighs 910 grams and has been declared very healthy, the hospital said.

Peregrine falcons all but disappeared in much of their Canadian range after heavy use of DDT in 1950s. The population started to rebound after the toxic chemical was banned in the 1970s.

There are 84 breeding pairs of peregrine falcons in Ontario. Four chicks were born to another another pair in Windsor earlier this year.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/rare-falcon-born-atop-oshawa-hospital-1.2705254
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1645 on: 13-Jul-14, 09:34:45 AM »

Banding photos from Toronto Birding FB:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/14102734545/permalink/10153057482664546/

And article from Toronto Star - CPF is working with the hospital to install a nest box for Alfrieda and Simcoe for next year!

http://read.thestar.com/?origref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.ca%2F#!/article/53c1a209ec0691958f000047-baby-peregrine-falcon-delivered-at-oshawa-hospital

Last but not least..video of the banding - with some familiar faces  Cheesy

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/meet-salveo-the-rare-falcon-hatched-on-a-hospital-roof-1.1911089
« Last Edit: 13-Jul-14, 04:25:05 PM by carly » Logged
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1646 on: 13-Jul-14, 11:37:13 PM »

2thumbsup thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1647 on: 14-Jul-14, 04:19:50 PM »

We bow again to Madame X and Surge  notworthy notworthy bow  Another new nest site - another Hamilton offspring  2thumbsup

ou know - it's interesting that they didn't offspring here this year and yet one after the other lately we're finding their previous offspring nesting. 

Here is the latest one - another new nest site!

!! New Beachville nest in southern Ontario has a locally produced male named Joe from Hamilton Ontario as one of the residents on site!
July 13, 2014 - International, National and Local News
CPF Postmaster Reports:

Sunday July 13th - 2014
A big thank you to Lucie and Richard Kirchknoph who ventured down to Beachville Ontario this weekend to investigate a report of nesting peregrines.
Their efforts paid off as they were able to identify the resident adult male via his leg band number and identify that the resident adult female is also banded with a solid Black leg band, telling us that they are both Canadian produced peregrines. Reports of the peregrines having produced offspring this year have been coming in this past week and we have some some good news to report thanks to Lucie and Richard.

Hi Guys
Good investigation guys!!
The Pefa that you reported having a solid black band number turns up in our banding data base as:

A peregrine named “Joe” that was produced at the Hamilton Sheraton Hotel in 2010
He was a very small underweight male – weighing in at only 492 grams at banding, banded at 23 days old, on May 31st – 2010  His mother is Madame X as she has been called and his father is named Surge.

Surge was produced at the Etobicoke nest site (Bloor & Islington) in 2002
Madame X was produced at a nest site in Wilkes-Barre in the USA in 1999 and was nick-named – “Runaround Sue” due to her promiscuous background / history that was reported to us way back in 2000.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1648 on: 14-Jul-14, 06:30:22 PM »

We bow again to Madame X and Surge  notworthy notworthy bow  Another new nest site - another Hamilton offspring  2thumbsup

ou know - it's interesting that they didn't offspring here this year and yet one after the other lately we're finding their previous offspring nesting. 

Here is the latest one - another new nest site!

!! New Beachville nest in southern Ontario has a locally produced male named Joe from Hamilton Ontario as one of the residents on site!
July 13, 2014 - International, National and Local News
CPF Postmaster Reports:

Sunday July 13th - 2014
A big thank you to Lucie and Richard Kirchknoph who ventured down to Beachville Ontario this weekend to investigate a report of nesting peregrines.
Their efforts paid off as they were able to identify the resident adult male via his leg band number and identify that the resident adult female is also banded with a solid Black leg band, telling us that they are both Canadian produced peregrines. Reports of the peregrines having produced offspring this year have been coming in this past week and we have some some good news to report thanks to Lucie and Richard.

Hi Guys
Good investigation guys!!
The Pefa that you reported having a solid black band number turns up in our banding data base as:

A peregrine named “Joe” that was produced at the Hamilton Sheraton Hotel in 2010
He was a very small underweight male – weighing in at only 492 grams at banding, banded at 23 days old, on May 31st – 2010  His mother is Madame X as she has been called and his father is named Surge.

Surge was produced at the Etobicoke nest site (Bloor & Islington) in 2002
Madame X was produced at a nest site in Wilkes-Barre in the USA in 1999 and was nick-named – “Runaround Sue” due to her promiscuous background / history that was reported to us way back in 2000.

good news

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #1649 on: 14-Jul-14, 07:33:42 PM »

So maybe we need to move the Oshawa posts to an offspring page...maybe Rochester Grand-eyases...

Anyway...Oshawa is East of Toronto proper near Whitby & Pickering, which were 2 of Quest's haunts during her Grand Tour. I think Linn was seen in Whitby too before settling in Scarborough.

Anyway...Pictures by Tracy Simpson of Alfreda...

...and Simcoe

And I need to dig...I have the spelling as Alfreda, not Alfrieda...Joyce, do you know which is correct?

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Pages: 1 ... 106 107 108 109 [110] 111 112 113 114 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: