THE FORUM

07-Sep-24, 10:48:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1078602 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #1710 on: 24-Jan-15, 09:19:24 PM »

You know what is shocking to me?  Here we have two older tiercels the past few weeks either losing a site or injured (since we can't see the cams now can't say for sure a new male has displaced Surge until they confirm) and here is Jack with two sites...I mean Surge and he were born the same year.  I wonder how much longer he can do it given the population increase.

Sorry to get off topic but I just saw Jack on cam and it popped in my head.  confused

Maybe not shocking,but certainly curious. Does Jack spend much time at his other site in the winter? Maybe there's something not enticing about the residential site that keeps intruders away.

Windwhistler did it for many years between King St. with Erin & the Sheraton with Wind, though there were very few nests then. Maybe there's an advantage there...after Tiago displaced him he was able to maintain King St. for all these years since.

We'll just have to wait & see. Hope Surge does well...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: 25-Jan-15, 04:36:28 AM »

Official update from Hamilton on Surge:

As many of you have already heard, Surge was found injured earlier today and is now recovering at the Owl Foundation. He was found by the HMCS Haida, taken in by Animal Control, and then transferred by one of our amazing Falconwatch volunteers to the Owl Foundation. It appears he was in a fight with another bird. His right nostril is punctured, there is damage to his right cere (the skin between beak and head), and he has a scratch on his cornea. He's under the care of experts at the Foundation and may be there for a little while as they monitor how his injuries could affect his eating. Despite this sad news Surge weighed in at a very healthy 781 grams when he was being assessed. They thought he was a female at first he's so big! The Owl Foundation is a charity and does not receive government funds to cover the costs of caring for injured birds. Falconwatch will be paying for Surge's food during his stay...please consider making a donation to Falconwatch to help pay for Surge's meals while he recovers. He'll be eating quail!

http://falcons.hamiltonnature.org/hcppdonate.htm

WOW, they give quick updates!! Poor big guy! Hope they can heal him! Oh, I just don't like fights!

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: 25-Jan-15, 05:46:23 AM »

CPF Report on Surge with photos of Surge:

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2015/01/sightings/territorial-battles-lands-surge-with-some-injuries-he-is-expected-to-have-a-full-recovery/
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: 25-Jan-15, 06:00:03 AM »

Thanks Carly. Oh I feel so bad that this happened!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: 25-Jan-15, 06:38:53 AM »

Surge's beak looks like it's cracked too. Tough old bird!  yes

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: 25-Jan-15, 06:51:39 AM »

Surge's beak looks like it's cracked too. Tough old bird!  yes

I'll be interested to hear who was able to displace a tiercel his size and experience,  And also whether Madame X is okay as well.  Because it came as such a shock to everyone, we can't say she is.  Sometimes they travel in pairs as we all know.
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: 25-Jan-15, 10:03:52 AM »

Hope  Surge heals quickly. He is in a very good place.

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: 25-Jan-15, 01:56:29 PM »

Update on Surge....after being cleaned up his injuries don't look as severe as initially thought. As long as everything heals up nicely Surge should be back on his feet in about three weeks!

Erica Lagios‎Hamilton FalconWatch (Official Group)

notworthy Oh that's great!!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: 25-Jan-15, 03:31:40 PM »

What about the cracked beak? What do they do for that?

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: 25-Jan-15, 09:15:22 PM »

What about the cracked beak? What do they do for that?

I had a love bird that cracked her beak starting at the cere.  The vet put her on antibiotics and it just continued to grow out and heal.  Not sure how bad Surge's break is.

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1720 on: 25-Jan-15, 10:08:09 PM »

Has it been determined that he was in a fight or just hit a building chasing after a bird? He has no other wounds except for the beak and eye!

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: 26-Jan-15, 08:02:14 AM »

Has it been determined that he was in a fight or just hit a building chasing after a bird? He has no other wounds except for the beak and eye!

Without an eye witness, all we can do is speculate.  He could, like Milton, have tangled with a hawk even..who knows.  It's very very cold up here but I expect people that work nearby will be keeping an eye out for Madame X today.  Apparently she and Surge usually roost on the CIBC sign so we'll see what they see.  My concern is that she's now vulnerable - if it wasn't another male then she's now an older female having to defend a site on her own.  We're only a few weeks away from courtship time and there are many single falcons down by the lake area so someone will likely jump on this opportunity.  Let's hope there's not a 'pair' looking for an opening!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: 26-Jan-15, 08:05:18 AM »

Without an eye witness, all we can do is speculate.  He could, like Milton, have tangled with a hawk even..who knows.  It's very very cold up here but I expect people that work nearby will be keeping an eye out for Madame X today.  Apparently she and Surge usually roost on the CIBC sign so we'll see what they see.  My concern is that she's now vulnerable - if it wasn't another male then she's now an older female having to defend a site on her own.  We're only a few weeks away from courtship time and there are many single falcons down by the lake area so someone will likely jump on this opportunity.  Let's hope there's not a 'pair' looking for an opening!

UGH, I hope not, poor Madame! She has 3 weeks or more! I don't like this, especially at their age. Sad

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: 28-Jan-15, 04:38:39 PM »

Posted on Hamilton FB site:

I'm at a seminar at city hall today with great view of the Hamilton nest ledge area. I know Surge is at a rehab recovering from a possible territory fight ( I recovered him) I have seen 2 PF's that seem very conferable with each other around the site. Do we have a new male here? Who could he be!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: 28-Jan-15, 05:00:10 PM »

Posted on Hamilton FB site:

I'm at a seminar at city hall today with great view of the Hamilton nest ledge area. I know Surge is at a rehab recovering from a possible territory fight ( I recovered him) I have seen 2 PF's that seem very conferable with each other around the site. Do we have a new male here? Who could he be!

Nooooo!! Not good!!

Pages: 1 ... 111 112 113 114 [115] 116 117 118 119 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: