THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 01:41:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1009416 times)
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: 08-Jun-10, 09:04:15 PM »

Etobicoke & TR Site Kids Update

!!! It’s Raining Men!!
June 08, 2010 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Kathy Reports:

It seems that Jack took my words about there being a shortage of males to heart as he is the proud father of 5 boys this year!  3 at our site here and 2  at his other site.

Interestingly  he wasn’t much help during either banding, staying briefly and making alot of noise and then taking off to the alternate site leaving his ‘girls’ to do all the hard work defending!

This morning he was here quite a bit…so I figured they must be banding over there and at one point he was eating lunch on the ledge while mom patrolled the skies and cleared the pigeons for him!

I saw all of the boys today, they are getting more emboldened and coming a bit closer to the edge of the ledge now.  Two of them have gotten quite dark compared to last Friday and our littlest one is black and white now.  We will be starting our annual Fledge Watch here next Monday as the boys will be around 36 days old which is the earliest they can fledge.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: 09-Jun-10, 06:35:24 AM »

A slideshow of the banding at the Hamilton ON Sheraton nest of Madame X & Surge

Madame X nailed the guy taking the eyases from the nest...

Wow..talk about a fierce momma! I have a feeling Beauty will be NO slacker!  hurt

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: 11-Jun-10, 09:55:06 PM »

!!! Star in pickle during one of his first flights!
June 07, 2010 - Toronto - Sheraton Centre
CPF Postmaster Reports:

With a huge thank you to Ernie for his observation report and photos of Star in a difficult situation (on one of his first flights at fledge, close to street level, surrounded by concrete, autos, buses, people and stuck under an overhang, these photos say it all!!
Hi Mark:
Here are the details:

This bird was spotted at 2:00 pm Monday June 7th. Toronto Downtown
Above the loading door at the Four Seasons centre. (NW corner Richmond and York.)
Blue band on right leg.
Stayed about 1 hr or so and then flew to a lamp post on the NW corner of the street. Then struck the post or something hard and then flew south on York street at about 8 feet off the ground.
Cheers Ernie

WE HAVE LIFTOFF
June 10, 2010 - Burlington - Lift Bridge
Sue McCreadie Reports:

When everyone arrived at the Lift Bridge this morning (around 9:30 am) we were very surprised to find Brant on the cable arm of the bay side of the Burlington Tower.  Mom came in and landed on the cables with food and he proceeded to try and reach her by walking along the cables.  Mom then took the food to the cable arm and he followed her.  That’s where he spent most of the day.  Between napping and flapping and preening it was a very long day.  All of a sudden around 5:50 pm he took to the air and circled around to the other side of the Burlington Tower.  We thought he had gone to the Hydro Towers, but he was nowhere to been seen.  After a time of searching Linda Cherriere found him inside a cross beam on the lake side of the Burlington Tower.  He had gotten himself into a predicament.  He couldn’t figure out how to get out.  After a few tense moments and some VERY awkward movements, he managed to get himself from inside the cross beam and onto one of the horizontal beams.  Whew, what a relief.  When we left at 9:30 pm, he was still there.  Mom did a few fly bys and we felt confident that he would be there for the night.

What will tomorrow bring? 

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: 13-Jun-10, 05:55:42 AM »

Two chicks still unflighted
June 12, 2010 - Toronto - King Street
Linda Woods Reports:

King St. chicks are still on the ledge. The weather may have had a good deal to do with that which is a good thing. The longer they wait the better they will be at flying.

Lots of flapping going on.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: 13-Jun-10, 06:39:31 PM »

!!! Weekend Update
June 13, 2010 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Kathy Reports:

Just returned from out nest site and all three boys were on the ledge being fed by Jack!  He’s been present quite a bit the past three days especially in the mornings.

On Friday, both mom and Jack were doing flying displays in front of the ledge while the two older boys cheered and flapped.  Little Mercedes didn’t think much of it all and seems to have a preference for the corner right under the web cam.

Friday at about 2:30 in the afternoon and I went out to check on them and mom was doing fly bys with food in her talons right in front of the nest ledge!  Then she would circle over to the condo corner where she was hoping to entice one of the boys to.  Blackberry was definitely the most developed with barely any white left on him and he was running up and down the ledge as if it was a runway flapping his wings like crazy.

Yesterday both dotca and blackberry were standing beak to beak on the ledge flapping away.   Mercedes didn’t want to have anything to do with it and mom beak fed him in the corner before feeding the other two.

Tomorrow our official fledge watch begins so keep your eyes to the skies as I expect these boys will be going sooner than later.

Cute names:Blackberry, Dotca and Mercedes

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: 15-Jun-10, 08:17:07 PM »

One Big Happy Family!!!
June 15, 2010 - Windsor - Ambassador Bridge
Dennis Patrick Reports:

It’s hard to explain the excitement I feel to see Windsor, Lancer and Bridgette flying around sometimes with Freddie and Voltaire and other times by themselves. This morning Dennis and I got there around 5:30 A.M. still a little dark but we could hear them talking back and forth. As it got light we saw Windsor and Lancer on the ledge and Bridgette sitting on the nest ledge. One parent flew in with a food package and dropped it off. The three of them basically ran over to it. About an hour later we saw them fly off with Freddie, looks like he’s teaching them talon to talon hand off feeding as they are flying around. We want to say a Special Thank You to the Bridge corporation for helping us with the two rescues that we had to do to keep the chicks safe. Special thanks to the University of Windsor Security and all the bridge staff. This comunity spirit has launched this nest site into the treasure of great magnitude and value it deserves!! Great work by the Windsor Falcon Watch Team. There is still much to be seen in the early morning and evening.
Keep looking up, you’ll be amazed by what you’ll see!
Tomorrow evening Dennis and a friend will be adding photos on our site.
Gwen

!!! Malik Takes a Flight!
June 15, 2010 - Toronto - King Street
Harry Crawford Reports:

Malik took his first flight before I got to the watch at 7:40am.
Nothing was visible in the nest area but that is not unusual.  I
checked the web-cam before I left home.  Only one chick was visible.
I then started the standard ground and building search, moving in
ever wider circles.  Vocalising was heard a couple of times.
Eventually, I spotted Malik on the northwest corner of the King
Edward Hotel - the highest part.  Great job Malik!

Paul joined the watch early and we were about to start searching for
Zera and just then, she appeared on the nest ledge.  Both parents
were in the area most of the time.

No Flyers yet…
-
Sarah Washington Reports:

Well the Hamilton Chicks are not in flight as of yet. They will more then likely sneak up and just take off and surprise us all!

Chedoke is still not on the ledge with his siblings. He is getting his darker feathers in which is good and is eating, but he is a little behind.

We hope for exciting things to come!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: 16-Jun-10, 06:58:12 AM »

!!! Malik’s First Sleep Over
June 15, 2010 - Toronto - King Street
Linda Woods Reports:

Malik, the first fledge, will have his first sleep over at the King Edward Hotel. He spent his first day on the roof of the hotel and early in the evening, he made his way over to the base of the chimney.  Zera, still unfledged had a healthy meal around 8:15p.m. and then settled down out of sight for the night. After the feed and as it turned dark, the adult female was seen on the nest ledge.

Malik, was seen lying down at the base of the chimney on the east side of the hotel at dark.

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: 16-Jun-10, 07:20:51 PM »

I thought this was interesting-- this is the apt house with Mom, Jack and sometimes, Milton:

Feedings continue, Jack is here a lot, and Mom is around the ledge most of the time, though she does regularly go to the old nest ledge for a break.

Mom and Jack seem to be getting a little more tense. Mom has been observed "stooping" (diving at high speed) particular dogs on the property. In 2008 Mom disliked one large black dog for some reason, and did the same thing. No contact was ever made. Mom and Jack have also become more agitated by cats grazing directly below the nest. I don't want to alarm anyone but am mentioning this so folks are aware. If you're concerned for your safety, avoid the area, though I personally see Mom stooping as a minor but admittedly intimidating issue.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: 16-Jun-10, 09:53:16 PM »

A nice video in the Detroit News featuring Mark Nash and the Ambassador bridge eyases!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: 16-Jun-10, 10:08:17 PM »

A nice video in the Detroit News featuring Mark Nash and the Ambassador bridge eyases!

What a great video....Mark knows his stuff alright. Thanks Ei!  Love the name Bridge-tte!  2thumbsup

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: 20-Jun-10, 09:02:06 AM »

Pigeons living under the Ambassador Bridge had better beware. Peregrine falcon fledglings Windsor and Lancer were spotted Friday morning feasting on the birds they are learning to hunt.

Dennis Patrick, site co-ordinator with the Windsor Peregrine Watch Team, said this was the first documented talon-to-talon handoff from one of the parents to their off-spring.

"One of the parents caught it in mid-air, then the other three kids gave chase," he said.

"The one that got there quickest, and jostled and sparred the most, got the prize.

"This is the first step in turning the switch on to them getting their first kill on their own. It's major." Patrick said the next step will involve the parents taking a kill high up in the air and dropping it so the fledglings have to catch it.

The parents get their young to fly by zipping past with food and sometimes do talon-to-talon handoffs of food in the air.

The fledglings have been learning to fly since their first jump off the nest ledge under the Ambassador Bridge earlier this month. Lancer left first on June 7 and Bridgette took her first flight to the ground on June 9.

Although Windsor was the last to leave on June 10, he was the more successful flyer at first.

Volunteers can tell the fledglings apart by coloured tape that will eventually fall off. Bridgette has a red band, Lancer has a yellow band and Windsor has a green band.

Peregrine falcons are putting on an aerial show around the Ambassador Bridge where three fledglings survived their first jump off the nest ledge and are just now attempting talon-to-talon grabs of food in the air.

"It puts the Red Bull right in the back seat," Windsor Peregrine Watch Team site co-ordinator Dennis Patrick said this week. "The flying they're doing, it's phenomenal."

Since peregrine falcon chicks usually have an 80 per cent mortality rate in their first year, getting the fledglings successfully through their first step off the nest ledge at the Ambassador Bridge and flying is a big relief.

"Day by day our odds increase of them making it," Patrick said.

Lancer left the ledge first on June 7 and was followed by Bridgette the female on the ninth and Windsor on the 10th. The trio took their first flights earlier than expected.

Although Windsor is the smallest and was the last to get off the ledge, he was the most successful in his first flight. The other two fledglings ended up still on the ground at dusk so volunteers contacted the bridge company and intervened to make sure the fledglings were on higher perches for the night. If the birds are not in imminent danger, the volunteers just watch.

There were a few times when volunteers had to try to keep cars from hitting the falcons on Huron Church Road.

Now the fledglings, which are about 48 days old, are being trained to hunt.

The adult peregrines, Freddie and Voltaire, start weaning the chicks off food to get them interested in leaving the nest. Once their young are flying, the fledglings still get some food such as pigeons dropped off but more and more the parents try to lure them off their perch.

"I'm watching Freddie come by, show them a little glimpse of food. As soon as they engage, he flies away and they have to chase him. Whoever catches him gets fed first. So they're racing each other for food."

Other birds fly and flap a lot, Patrick said. "The peregrine is like your fighter jet -- narrow wings -- and when it comes into a dive it's just unbelievably fast."

Peregrine falcons can reach speeds of up to 320 km/h when diving for prey.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: 20-Jun-10, 10:27:00 AM »

wave   good post    I like all the poop, it looks like melted wax!   Thanks Donna.    gum

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: 20-Jun-10, 10:57:04 AM »

wave   good post    I like all the poop, it looks like melted wax!   Thanks Donna.    gum

2funny scared blue

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: 20-Jun-10, 03:36:24 PM »

!!! One of A Fledger’s worst nightmare! Every one is missing!!
June 20, 2010 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Mark Nash Reports:

A fledge watcher’s worst nightmare. Upon my arrival this morning, there were absolutely no birds in sight including the absence of both resident adults. After walking around the four MEC properties for over 2 hours searching every nook and cranny, every parking lot, and all of the surrounding roadways, nothing was found! Finally around 11AM, the resident adult female flew in from the south and landed on the nest box landing platform. She stopped, looked down into the ledge below the nest box and flew off to the north. Nothing in the nest box itself, but something was obviously noticed below as that was the reason she flew over in the first place,,, to check on someone!

By 11:30am, Marion and Kathy arrived to help in the search. Moments afer their arrival, one juvenile finally popped up from the ledge below the nest box, flapped its wings, rushed along the upper ledge to the corner of the nest ledge and dropped down again out of our sight. Neither Craig or Joe has been sighted since their release back to the nest building roof top last night.

After a two plus search of all parking lots, parking ramps and the surrounding roadways and buildings, trees, and the creek on both sides of Robert Spec parkway, not even a single resident bird of any kind was kind enough to help me with warning or alarm calls that would have tipped me off of a downed fledgling. So the wait continues in the hope that mom or dad will give us some help as to where the fledglings may have grounded themselves.
Stay tuned………

from Last night:

!!! Craig is the second to fledge! Stunned, but unhurt as he comes to the ground.
June 19, 2010 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Mark Nash Reports:

A very quiet day today with just a little rain this morning, and then blistering hot, clear sky and hot and humid. Upon my arrival, the juveniles were actually on the top of the nest box lounging around without a care in the world. Then around 1:30pm, mom came in to the nest ledge and straight into the nest box. If I hadn’t had my eyes fixed onto the nest box at that very moment, I would have missed her for sure. Moments later, the juveniles all jumped down onto the nest box landing platform and entered the nest box. A minute later, mom appeared with the food that she had flown in with and I watched her feed each of the juveniles beak to beak.. A very tender moment indeed. Then I watched her consume the balance of the huge white pigeon that she had been feeding her hatchlings.

At around 3pm, little “Craig” took his first flight. Sadly, with the high winds, he was carried across the street and slammed into the glass about half way up MEC 2, and fluttered down the glass to the side walk area. I was able to quickly scoop him up while he lay dazed on the concrete. Seconds later, he was awake and very alert, with no signs of any serious injuries, just stunned after his impact. A quickly examination for broken bones and serious trauma, and he was put into the rescue carrier for a quick hold over to cool down and de-stress. He will be released back to the nest building if he checks out OK after his second examination.

More...

!!! Two on the roof and two still on the nest ledge.
June 19, 2010 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Mark Nash Reports:

For the most parts, an uneventful evening with the exception of the blustery winds that never let up, right up until darkness. At the close of my shift, the last male “Wade” was still visible on the nest box and his sister “Xuan” - (pronounced Soon) had disappeared into the darkened nest box.

Their falcon follies started later in the evening than usual with Wade running up and down the nest ledge flapping and charging his sister as he threatening to fly on more than a dozen occasions, even as darkness set in. Finally at 9:40pm he finally settled down and allowed me a few stress free moments

Finished the watch at 9:50pm when it was too dark to the nest ledge. Back into the building and one final check of the two boys “Craig and Joe” prior to their release back to the roof of the nest building. A final quick examination and a little water for both juveniles to assist in their re-hydration and it was back to the roof top of the nest building for their release. While I must admit, I was the only one that really needed the re-hydration as the hot humid past 14 hours in the streets had me feeling like a clammy old rag. The cool air conditioned environment where the two boys had been resting in their rescue carriers was far from uncomfortable! Oh my goodness, it was nice to finally get into some cool air!!

Utilization of the cover of darkness for their release made it much easier to get two birds back to the roof without causing them a panic flight at my presence during the release, and for the most parts all when well. Well at least for the birds.

I can’t say that everything went just exactly as I visioned it, as trying to release both birds at precisely the same time (while ensuring that both birds were removed from the rescue carriers exactly at the same time was easy), but the job got done.

(Funny how they fuss going into the rescue carriers in the first place, and fight like heck to stay in the rescue carriers, refusing to come out! After sustaining ripped and torn pants and numerous punctures to both of my legs, during this release, I can tell you that both birds have plenty of fight and lots of energy!

As I quickly departed the roof area and headed for the roof hatch to make my exit, both juveniles seemed very satisfied that they had been successful in “kicking my butt” (which they did), my final observation of them before closing the hatch had them standing side by side mantling and hissing at me like a couple of vipers with looks that could kill. I know that I won’t be on their Christmas card list this winter! I prey that we won’t meet again anytime too soon!

Tons of Talon to Talon Action!!!
June 19, 2010 - Windsor - Ambassador Bridge
Dennis Patrick Reports:

The youngsters tonight were engaging each other in locked talon swing arounds. The wind was right so we had some excellant aerial displays. 30 or 40 feet over head and all around JUST above tree top
I want to say thank you to our watch team whom without I can honestly say this report would be shy a couple of Falcons.
The displays are great late afternoon and evening. Several talon to talon aerial hand offs of food. You can see the youngsters grow in maturity and confidence every day. Voltaire the female really layed down the law tonight and clamped down on the no fly zone. She climbed several times right past a gull and stooped and chased and drove the gull off. Thank you to all the volunteers who came to meet under the Bridge where this first started 3 Years ago. I have many pictures to post and I will try to do so.

!!! 2 Fledges!!
June 19, 2010 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Frank Butson Reports:

Finally 2 of our 3 boys took flight. We are sure one was Blackberry. He flew first as Kathy and I watched. He sailed over the condo on Aberfoyle and went to the roof of One Lomonde. From there he made a good flight gaining altitude landing on the window ledge of the appartment across the road. From there to the rooftop of Kingsway on the Park. From there to the 2nd tower of the Sunlife Centre(over the section where the nestledge is!). Finally Blackberry made a brilliant flight which Kathy witnessed,where he made it back to the nestledge. This is a benchmark at watches as getting back to the nestledge,shows a controlled flight.

The 2nd fledge we arent entirely sure who it is. Kathy thinks it was Mercedes. He flew well and ended up ontop of the Sunlife Centre. He was on the roof  ledge walking along,when a gust of wind took him off. He flew well,but his landing was not so good. He missed 3 attempts to land before coming to rest on a balcony. He is safe for the night there. If he remains there in the morning we will attempt a rescue.  The 2 young on the ledge were fed and we left around 930pm.  Thanks to all our helpers today,including Baylie,Terry and Elizabeth Shiels ,Sandra and Bob and security at Kingsway  On The Park.

No Fly Zone Etobicoke
June 18, 2010 -
Frank Butson Reports:

Once again our 3 boys stayed put on the ledge without flying. Several times they clung perilously to the edge of the ledge,flapping,but just couldnt committ to that last step and leave go.  Mom turned the area into a no fly zone,keeping the airspace clear for take-off. Over the course of the afternoon,she took a serious run grabbing a Ring-billed Gull before letting go,diving at and hitting at least 4 times a passing Turkey Vulture and most amazingly,a Great Blue Heron was seen passing by,by Ian,Marion and I,only to be attacked by Angel. When she got close the Great Blue Heron realized it was in trouble and went into a quick,steep dive itself,hit once by Angel over the intersection of Aberfoyle and Bloor. The Great Blue Heron resembled a “lawn dart” as it dove. None of us had ever seen such a dive!  Kathy,Marion and I left around 830pm,after a feeding took place after 8pm,repeating the fledge watchers lament..tomorrow for sure they fly!  With bad weather coming,we may be speaking those words again Saturday night?

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: 20-Jun-10, 05:08:39 PM »

clap   Exciting stuff!  Soon enough we'll have our own fledge reports. Woohoo!    mbanana

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: