THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 10:34:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1009376 times)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #360 on: 15-Feb-11, 09:16:08 AM »

What a beauty!  Grin

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #361 on: 16-Feb-11, 09:49:13 AM »

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2011/02/sightings/cirrus-and-sir-adam/ Some great pics of Sir and Cirrus

Recently Sue Adorjan got these great pictures near the Liftbridge again. The first shot  is Sir Adam. All others are Cirrus.

Both Adults On Siteā€¦Pigeon Be Gone
- Toronto - Uptown Yonge and Eglinton
Frank Butson Reports:

Reporting for Lyn:

20110215 Yonge-Eglinton Peregrines

I had an exciting day today! I came out of the bank and whilst waiting for the light to change I saw a Peregrine struggle with the reflections in the windows of the Rio-Can building on the east side. The Peregrine had actually flown across the front of the Heart and Stroke building and *softly* into a window, fluttered up and down the window and then flew off over Eglinton Ave. It came back to the same side of the Rio-Can building and did the same thing again before flying across Eglinton Ave and onto the railing on the level below the nest ledge, but on the northeast side of the building. This appeared to be a large Peregrine but not having another one with which to compare it I reserved judgement. The Peregrine sat on the railing for a good ten minutes.
Just as I was about leave for indoors, she took off over the CIBC building on the SW corner of Y&E and along Eglinton east. At a spot one street west of Redpath I saw three pigeons flying above Eglinton Ave and the Peregrine had her sights set on one of them and I saw her grab it!!
I exclaimed aloud *oh wow* which caused two pedestrians to turn around and look along Eglinton but they did not see her. She struggled to fly and gain height to land on top of the CIBC building. She was flying against the wind. As she landed I saw another peregrine fly from the west to land right at the top of the nest building on the NW corner.
I thought I could safely dash home for binoculars as I thought she would eat the peregrine where she was. When I came back she had gone and so had the second peregrine. I searched the two buildings to no avail. However I did find feathers floating on the breeze coming from the west. I searched along Eglinton to the corner of Duplex - no luck! When I looked south from there I found both peregrines on top of the black building over the bus garage. This time I could definitely see the size difference and it was the female who had caught the pigeon. I stood out there in the cold wind for 45 minutes as she plucked feathers and ate, then plucked some more. The male was sitting about 2 metres away from her and periodically he called then settled down again. Eventually, minutes before I left he could bear the strain no longer. He ran along the edge of the building towards the female and grabbed what looked like the pigeonā€™s head and then flew to another perch on the same building. The female never paused. She continued eating. By this time I was frozen and decided to leave. Both peregrines were pecking away at their spoils. It was a great sighting.
Never go to the bank without binoculars!!!
Lyn

!!! Territorial activity full time in St. John New Brunswick.
February 11, 2011 - International, National and Local News
CPF Postmaster Reports:

Further conversations and observations from Gaye, and some research on her behalf, we can confirm that there is in fact at least one territorial pair of peregrines holding a territory in St. John New Brunswick. Thanks to Guye, who was able to resource additional information on the subject,
Gaye writes: Feb. 11th 2011

Hello again! Since we emailed, Iā€™ve been on the lookout for our speedy and elusive friends. I havenā€™t seen any falcons lately, but Iā€™ve chatted with local birders about peregrine sightings and they assure me that we typically do have a few birds which over-winter here in Saint John. Which was exciting newsā€¦
Then, on Saturday, I came across this article and photograph in the ā€œSightingsā€ column in our local newspaper. And there he/she is - what a wonderful photo! I knew youā€™d be excited to see this photo and the information.
Iā€™ve also added a little graphic to give you an idea of where the sighting was and the bridges that the article references.
I keep looking!
Cheers,
Gaye Kapkin

Hello CPF
I recently we saw a raptor chasing a pigeon in the King Square area of downtown Saint John, NB. I work on the 4th (top) floor of an office building adjacent to Kingā€™s Square and I had a great ā€œfront-rowā€ seat. I believe the bird was a peregrine ā€“ I wasnā€™t fast enough to get a camera. This sighting was Thursday Jan. 27th.
Yesterday, when walking my dogs in the same general area, I hear an unusual (ie not the usual gull or crow) bird calls. Looking up I saw two birds ā€“ one of which was calling. Again ā€“ no camera available! But from the silhouette from below, Iā€™m thinking I saw a pair of falcons.
Iā€™m keeping my close at hand. Hopefully, I can verify if these birds are peregrines or not.
Regards,
Gaye Kapkin

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #362 on: 19-Feb-11, 01:50:09 PM »

Nice pics. Thanks Donna! wave

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #363 on: 23-Feb-11, 11:03:15 AM »

Love is in the AIR!!!
February 22, 2011 - Windsor - Ambassador Bridge
Dennis Patrick Reports:

Once again after wintering over on-site for the third consecutive year our dynamic duo are becoming very chummy. Ken Ducharme reports more activity around the nest ledge by Voltaire doing some Spring set up on the nest materials.
Get yourselves a really good big sky view of the Ambassador Bridge sign on the Canadian side and keep your eyes peeled for some fantastic aerial courtship displays. Stooping, close quarter high speed chasing playing and flying past each other at such incredible speeds so close it will put a lump in your throat.
Donā€™t miss out weā€™re counting down to egg time!!!
All last years trained volunteers are requested if interested to contact us.
Dennis and the Falcon Crazy team>

!!! Update on the Saint John peregrinesā€¦and, yes, I can confirm the plural
February 21, 2011 - International, National and Local News
CPF Postmaster Reports:

Hello folks at CPF ā€“ update on the Saint John peregrinesā€¦and, yes, I can confirm the plural.
Spotted two peregrines yesterday at 3:12pm over the Reversing Falls Bridge. The bridge crosses the narrowest point of St. John River where it widens out into the harbour and then flows out to the Bay of Fundy. Incidentally, the Irving Tissue Mill is very close to this bridge. The Falls attracts a lot of sea birds: gulls of all sorts and cormorants (summer), there are lots of rock doves and also different species of hawks, the occasional bald eagle and now the peregrines.
As I was approaching the bridge by car, my attention was caught by a lot of gulls swirling about in the air. I pulled over and parked the car and thatā€™s when I saw two peregrines in silhouette from below. One flew down and levelled out and gave me a very good look at him/her - I could clearly see the ā€œsideburnsā€ on the cheeks and the dark grey colouring on his/her back. I didnā€™t have binoculars or a good camera (Iphone was useless ā€“Apple designers need to correct that deficiency).
I watched them for about 15 minutes - there were two and they were hunting. I watched one bird ā€œstoopā€ and dive in an attempt to catch a gull. He/she missed the gull by inches. Quite something to see! I didnā€™t see the Pefaā€™s close enough together to be able to say for sure they are a male and female pair.
A good digital camera with movie capability is my next step! I will DEFINITELY get photos. Iā€™m hooked.
Gaye Kapkin

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #364 on: 01-Mar-11, 08:36:26 AM »

!!! Not a good place to hang out unless your invited!
February 24, 2011 - Etobicoke - William Osler
CPF Postmaster Reports:

A short update from last week, as we initially responded to a call from the Ross at the hospital to both investigate and pick-up a deceased Screech Owl that was in the wrong place at the right time. Their territorial peregrines are still very much around and obviously still very protective over the territory.

Sad to say that the little Screech owl didnā€™t have a chance and was knocked out of the sky and killed with single blow from a stoop from the resident adult female peregrine. We spent most of the day on site this past Thursday (Feb. 24th) at the request of the Hospital to over see the peregrines and some of the work that they are doing on the west and south elevation walls, and can confirm that both adult peregrines are still very much on territory and sticking close to the nest ledge. While the swing stage staff were virtually ignored throughout the day, a passing Red-tail hawk was not so lucky, and took the wrath of their peregrines. The red-tail was quickly dispatched and chased almost out of sight.

We can confirm that the resident adult male is still non other than Hurricane - (a peregrine that was produced at the Toronto Sheraton centre nest site) given the solid Black band that he dawns, but his mate was not about to show us her bands despite all of our efforts to get a view of her legs.

These falcons are brutal!

!!! Both Falcons on Site
March 01, 2011 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Kathy Reports:

In spite of the snow, rain, winds and whatever else Mother Nature continues to throw at us on any given day - both falcons have been on site and courtship is in full bloom!  This morning both are here and Angel is eating a breakfast brought in by Jack for her.

Most days I see only her and he usually shows up in mid afternoon or I donā€™t see anyone at all.  I havenā€™t witnessed any mating yet however I suspect itā€™s going on as Iā€™ve seen Angel in position for mating with Jack standing nearby waiting for his cue.  Unfortunately work or the inclement weather has prevented me from observing them long enough to confirm what I think is happening.

Past years has Angel laying eggs during the third or last week of March so I expect activity will increase in the coming days.  I also expect in the next few weeks we will  see migrating birds coming through as well so weā€™ll see if Jack can continue to hold on to both territories.  There have been a number of sightings of young tiercels outside the area over the past several months and I expect one or more of them will make a play for their own territory this month!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #365 on: 02-Mar-11, 01:16:27 PM »

SPRING IS MOST DEFINITELY IN THE AIR
March 01, 2011 - Burlington - Lift Bridge

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2011/03/sightings/spring-is-most-definitely-in-the-air/ Pics here

While we were walking we noticed Cirrus fly to the Hydro Tower and she landed right above us.  Before we knew it, Sir Adam Beck approached and we saw them copulate.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #366 on: 02-Mar-11, 01:48:35 PM »

SPRING IS MOST DEFINITELY IN THE AIR
March 01, 2011 - Burlington - Lift Bridge

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2011/03/sightings/spring-is-most-definitely-in-the-air/ Pics here

While we were walking we noticed Cirrus fly to the Hydro Tower and she landed right above us.  Before we knew it, Sir Adam Beck approached and we saw them copulate.

Spring isn't the only thing in the air!  heart gum

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #367 on: 04-Mar-11, 01:14:58 PM »

!! Inspecting The Ledge
February 24, 2011 - Toronto - Uptown Yonge and Eglinton
Frank Butson Reports:

Lyn Reports:

Update Yonge and Eglinton Peregrines 20110224
Returning from shopping on Yonge street, I glanced skyward looking for our pair of Peregrine falcons.
I was in luck. Two of them flew up to the nest building and one landed on that same railing, as before, on the NE corner of the building.  No binoculars again. I hastened to the corner assured myself that it was really a peregrine and dashed home for the binoculars.
On returning to the YE corner I found the peregrine still perched in the same spot. I had a bit of bother getting colour but did finally see the buffy chest (and full crop) and so determined this to be the female. I watched her for a while and also looked around for the male. I did not see him for a few minutes.
As I was walking along Eglinton towards Duplex Av I saw him come from somewhere around the black building over the TTC bus garage. He flew straight onto the nest ledge! I continued walking and stopping to watch for his exit and was rewarded after roughly three minutes. He flew off the nest ledge, straight over Eglinton and my head and landed on the Rio-Can building. I had to move then.
I walked all the way over to the Ambulance ramp near the bus garage and stood there. After roughly fifteen minutes the female flew over to the Rio-Can building and landed one floor above him.
For a long time neither of them did anything. Then the female preened a bit and then just sat. The male just sat the whole time I was out there. He also had a full crop. I also saw the remains of a recent meal where I was standing. A small white feather, spinal column with two ribs attached! Nothing else. I think it may have been blown off the roof of the black building.
The female took flight and flew towards me then curved behind (south side of) the nest building, up Yonge street, across Eglinton ave and landed back on the Rio-Can building about five floors up from the male, who just sat!!!!
After an hour and twenty minutes of observation I left.
Half an hour later I had to go to the bank and when I checked on the peregrines they were in their same spots. The male was just sitting and the female was busy preening.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #368 on: 13-Mar-11, 03:20:02 PM »

What a Pleasant Morning
March 12, 2011 - Windsor - Ambassador Bridge
Dennis Patrick Reports:

At 6:30 A.M. quite a bit of activity going on the nest ledge. Lots of vocalizaion.
6:40 A.M. Freddie flew upon to the Church Steeple and Voltaire flew onto the pipe.
Itā€™s always a pleasure to see the both of them. Easy to see and easy to hear the both of them.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #369 on: 19-Mar-11, 06:59:40 AM »

!!! Finallyā€¦itā€™s time!
March 17, 2011 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Kathy Reports:

After weeks of sporadic courtship between Angel and Jack, egg laying time may be upon us.  This morning for the first time, Angel is on the ā€˜matingā€™ corner waiting for Jack - this is usually where she perches when she is close to and/or laying eggs.   The timing is right compared to past years - barring any interuptions relating to territorial issues like we had last year and a recent one.

Two days ago, a young tiercel was on one of Jacksā€™ favorite perches and was chased out quite vigoursly by Jack.  It all happened so fast that I wasnā€™t able to ID him .  I didnā€™t even realize there was someone there as I was on the opposite side - until I noticed Jack divebombing something and just as I realized it might not be a pigeon a falcon flew down and up and then Jack chased him out of the territory heading south towards the lake.  Angel, after flying around in a panic and waiting impatiently for Jack to return - actually flew southwards to join in and they both returned to the ledge together after about 5 minutes.  Hopefully the poor tiercel was unharmed whoever he was.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #370 on: 20-Mar-11, 07:38:04 AM »

Peregrine falcons return to nest at border bridge

Windsor's peregrine falcons are in the mood for love and their courtship is making for some spectacular air shows.

"They'll fly all over the place and do extreme, extreme flight displays so it's a good big sky time," said Dennis Patrick, site co-ordinator for the Canadian Peregrine FoundationWindsor Watch team.

The peregrine pair hang out at the Ambassador Bridge near Riverside Drive. Last year they raised three chicks from a nest on a concrete ledge under the bridge.

Patrick said the courting ritual offers a chance to see some aerial acrobatics and witness the fastest creature on earth.

Freddie, the male peregrine, will catch a bird for his mate Voltaire, fly to the ledge and bow to her.

"He will fly at 150 miles per hour straight at the nest and go whoop and stop to land. They're phenomenal in their flight displays," Patrick said.

The courtship will be over soon, with eggs likely laid by the end of the month. If the pair follow last year's schedule, that could mean chicks hatching around May 1.

"We're hoping for four," Patrick said.

Last year was the second year the pair produced young. Peregrine Watch volunteers were able to band the three chicks, which were named Bridgette, Lancer and Windsor.

Patrick said he hasn't had any reported sightings of those birds over the winter.

Peregrine falcon populations crashed because of DDT but the falcons are making a comeback and have adjusted to city life by nesting on top of skyscrapers. Windsor was considered lucky to have the cliff dwellers when the pair first produced young under the bridge in 2009.

The local peregrine falcon group is looking for volunteers to watch the peregrines and, hopefully, their young in May. Volunteers will receive training and can respond by emailing wpfw2011@gmail.com.

The Windsor Star

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #371 on: 23-Mar-11, 08:57:11 AM »

!!! Port Colborne Ontario - 2010 Summery
December 15, 2010 - Port Colborne - ADM Mill
Doug Garbutt Reports:

2010 was another frustrating season in Port Colborne. The site produced 8 eggs in 2 clutches with not one successful hatch. The 1st 4 eggs were produced by the territorial female from 2009 ā€œTreasureā€ from Cleveland. We did not have a monitor early in the season but when we did get connected on Mar.27/10 there were 4 eggs under full incubation. By Apr. 10/10 all 4 eggs were gone. An intruding female is on site. The intruding bird is unbanded. Between Apr. 28/10 & May 06/10 the unbanded bird produced 4 eggs. However by May 11/10 there are only 3 eggs. On May 13/10 an adult breaks & consumes an egg. May 14/10 another egg is missing (donā€™t know how), leaving only 1 egg which was totally neglected & on July 25/10 removed from the scrape & dissected. The rotten egg was nothing but a rotten liquid soup. The eggs were not fertilized. The male for 3 clutches of 4 eggs in the last 2 years is the male we call ā€œBuffalo Billā€ from Buffalo NY (2007). In the last 2 years there have been 3 different females lay 4 eggs each yet none have hatched. We think Buffalo Bill may be shooting blanks & with a name like that it really is a shame!

Jeeze!!   Shocked

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #372 on: 23-Mar-11, 07:06:03 PM »

!!! No Eggs Yet.
March 23, 2011 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Kathy Reports:

Well despite the intentions and efforts of Jack the past few mornings,  itā€™s safe to say nothing yet.  I have noticed Angel has been sticking close to the nestbox the past few mornings so I was kind of hopeful however the temperature has gone from plus 10 yesterday to minus 12 with windchill and blowing snow this morning and sheā€™s flying around or sitting on her web cam.  If she had an egg or two in the box, she would be trying to keep it warm in this mess Iā€™m sure.  That being said, Jack could be on duty however itā€™s too blustery to see or stay out there too long so Iā€™ll check again later if it calms down.  I know it seems early but prior to last year, Angel was always the first out of the gate here in Toronto and was at least one week ahead of other nest sites.  I guess with 2 sites and 2 females to attend to - it will be a week later like last year!

From The Hamilton Spectator

John Burman
Even for eagles, itā€™s all about location
A pair of eagles are nesting high in a white pine on the Royal Botanical Gardens lands on the northern edge of Cootes Paradise. If there are eggs in the nest, they may well hatch mid-April.
Bald eagles may be born here A pair of eagles are nesting high in a white pine on the Royal Botanical Gardens lands on the northern edge of Cootes Paradise. If there are eggs in the nest, they may well hatch mid-April.
Ron Albertson/The Hamilton Spectator

If all goes well, Hamilton could soon be home to the first young bald eagles hatched around this side of Lake Ontario in more than 50 years.

And it all comes down to location.

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2011/03/sightings/bald-eagles-nest-in-hamilton/ story and pic

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #373 on: 25-Mar-11, 01:39:55 PM »

!!! We ā€œHADā€ an egg, but itā€™s gone now
March 24, 2011 - Port Colborne - ADM Mill
Doug Garbutt Reports:

On our frigid Wednesday morning this week I arrived at work bright & early to find the resident female warming a single egg amidst the snow banks surrounding her. She stayed on it the entire day. At 9am today (Thursday) the egg was intact & the adult was treating it as normal, incubating & turning it. At 10am I checked the monitor & low & behold both the egg & mother were nowhere to be seen! What the heck? I have no idea if she broke & ate the egg or if something else happened. There is no human or animal access to the box (other than birds). She has since been in & out of the scrape but has not laid another egg yet.

Shocked

!!! Sticking Close to Nest Box
March 25, 2011 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Kathy Reports:

This morning when I arrived Angel was sitting by the nestbox and then she flew over to one of the towers.  I assumed she was on her own but a few minutes later jack jumped out of the nestbox and flew off to head to his other site and Angel immediately flew back to the ledge and got into the nestbox.   I watched a few minutes and then she came back out but sheā€™s been on the ledge right next to the nestbox every time Iā€™ve checked for the past 4.5 hours.    She does seem a bit lethargic this morning and looks like sheā€™s having a bad hair day on top of it all !

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #374 on: 28-Mar-11, 06:57:44 PM »

Still sitting and waiting..
March 28, 2011 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Kathy Reports:

More of the same today with Angel, just sitting by the nestbox on the ledge and waiting..  There was some excitement that was reported to me after lunch that involved Angel screaming her head off from the ledge and Jack chasing someone out of the territory..by the time I was able to get outside and take a look, all was calm.  When I left Angel was..you guessed it..sitting by the nestbox and Jack was on the next ledge over watching the window washers set up for tomorrow.  So the next week will have workmen right next to them - if there is an egg or two up there we should see some interesting behaviour  so I guess that should give me a clue.

I told her today that Rhea Mae at the Sheraton is already 2 eggs ahead but she seems nonplussed about it all Smiley

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: