THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 08:51:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1009353 times)
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 09-Sep-09, 09:42:25 PM »

isn't this where Quest has been visiting?  confused
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: 10-Sep-09, 08:27:03 AM »

Yes,she's in Canada, but she's not on a web cam
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10-Sep-09, 09:50:23 AM »

isn't this where Quest has been visiting?  confused
According to the map she was only there for one day on 8/29 then went back to Port Hope.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11-Sep-09, 07:35:04 AM »

isn't this where Quest has been visiting?  confused
According to the map she was only there for one day on 8/29 then went back to Port Hope.
I just wondered if they could be kacking at her flying around
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 19-Oct-09, 11:27:16 AM »

Finally some some news about something!!!   clap

Sir and Cirrus are Hanging In
October 18, 2009 - Burlington - Lift Bridge
Sue McCreadie Reports:

Bill and I stopped by the Lift Bridge this afternoon to see what we could see.  After searching the Hamilton Hydro Tower and under the Skyway, with no luck, we decided to check out the other favourite spot, the face of the Hamilton Tower.  Low and behold, there sat Mom and Dad just a few feet apart.  (We are assuming it’s Mom and Dad as we didn’t get a look at any bands.)   Mom appeared to be standing guard and Dad was enjoying himself preening.  The pigeons were everywhere, so I guess neither were hungry as there was no hunting taking place.  Looks like the adults are going to stay for the winter.

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 19-Oct-09, 09:35:19 PM »

Oh, so that was Sir and Cirrus.  Beautiful pair.  They remind me a lot of Mariah and Kaver.   yes

Finally some some news about something!!!   clap

Sir and Cirrus are Hanging In
October 18, 2009 - Burlington - Lift Bridge
Sue McCreadie Reports:

Bill and I stopped by the Lift Bridge this afternoon to see what we could see.  After searching the Hamilton Hydro Tower and under the Skyway, with no luck, we decided to check out the other favourite spot, the face of the Hamilton Tower.  Low and behold, there sat Mom and Dad just a few feet apart.  (We are assuming it’s Mom and Dad as we didn’t get a look at any bands.)   Mom appeared to be standing guard and Dad was enjoying himself preening.  The pigeons were everywhere, so I guess neither were hungry as there was no hunting taking place.  Looks like the adults are going to stay for the winter.

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 19-Oct-09, 10:45:46 PM »

Oh, so that was Sir and Cirrus.  Beautiful pair.  They remind me a lot of Mariah and Kaver.   yes

devil

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 20-Oct-09, 09:45:50 PM »

They didn't have to much luck with their offspring this year did they? or am I thinking of a different pair on a bridge?
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 03-Nov-09, 10:31:27 AM »

If you’ve been watching this blog for a while, you know that one of Pittsburgh’s peregrine falcon “sons” has spent the past 11 months in rehab.  Now, at last, Pittsburgh Pete has a permanent home.  This is quite a victory for Pete, and for Judy Bailey who rescued him.

Pete (black/green 3/K) was born at the Gulf Tower in 2006 and nested successfully at the Burlington Lift Bridge in 2008 but he was seriously injured in a battle with a rival that June.  Pete seemed to recover on his own but was found grounded and unable to fly in November 2008.

Since then Pete has been in the care of Judy Bailey, pictured with him here.  Judy is an Animal Control Officer in Hamilton so she could nurse him back to health but is not licensed to keep him.  When it was determined last May that Pete’s seizures prevented him from being released into the wild, Judy had to find him a permanent home.  Otherwise he would die.

Over the summer Mountsberg Raptor Centre in Campbellville, Ontario offered to take Pete as an educational bird if he could sit quietly on the glove and tolerate people near him in an educational setting.  Pete didn’t know these skills so Judy trained him.  Thanks to her hard work and Pete’s ability to learn, he went to his permanent home at the Raptor Centre in late October.  Mountsberg is excited to have him.

Hooray for Pete and a big thank you to Judy Bailey!  She really is Pete’s guardian angel.  clap

Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 04-Nov-09, 01:12:35 PM »

Does anyone know...once a bird becomes an educatinal bird, do they remove the bands?  I saw they were still on Pete in the photo.

Joyce
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: 04-Nov-09, 09:33:36 PM »

I don't think they remove the bands.  There is too much risk of injury to the leg.  At least that is the philosophy in the parrot world.  Unless the band slips off, it stays.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings”
William Blake
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 19-Nov-09, 10:01:40 AM »

Pittsburgh Pete at Mountsberg Raptor Centre
November 17, 2009 - Burlington - Lift Bridge
Sue McCreadie Reports:

Bill and I visited Mountsberg Raptor Centre today to photograph Pittsburgh Pete.  We are happy to report that as he cannot be released into the wild we felt he is in a good place.  He is being well cared for and was sunning himself on a perch in the enclosed ring.  Amy from Mountsberg reports that he is settling in quite nicely, but still has a little way to go to be totally comfortable around people.   As far as she can tell, he has not had a seizure since September.  Below are a couple of photos from our visit.  Amy told us today that he has a distinct scar from his injury and that his crop fills to the side not to the front as normal.

Poor Pete but happy he has a new home and good care.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 19-Nov-09, 10:11:50 AM »

A Meal On A Picnic Table
November 18, 2009 - Burlington - Lift Bridge
Sue McCreadie Reports:

Bill and I dropped by the Lift Bridge this afternoon around 3:00.  After a quick look around, we spotted Sir on the cable arm of the Hamilton Tower and Cirrus on a picnic table.  It wasn’t long before Sir flew to the picnic table and we realized that Cirrus was plucking a recent catch.  A few chirps from Sir would indicate that he was begging for a meal. 

Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 19-Nov-09, 02:12:00 PM »

Thanks Donna for posting!  Carol, Kathy O and I know exactly where that picnic table is.  Burlington is a day trip we are hoping the watchers would like to take on a nice calm weekend day this winter.

Joyce
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 19-Nov-09, 04:38:27 PM »

isn't this where Quest has been visiting?  confused

I won't be surprised if when Spring comes and Quest's hormones start raging that if she can't find a mate in Port Hope - she just may come back here and try for a site with an existing mate like Beauty did.  No doubt she's seen the possibilities here on her little tour and I wonder if her day trips are her way of scoping out future nest sites. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: