THE FORUM

18-Apr-24, 12:23:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1015439 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #645 on: 24-Sep-11, 04:40:28 PM »

!!! Renewed Peregrine Activity!
September 03, 2011 - London - TD Tower
CPF Postmaster Reports:

Sept. 3rd - 2011
Good Morning:
I work at the City Center/ TD Towers in London Ontario, so far this summer there has been a peregrine hanging around the tower all summer. Sadly I have only seen one all summer not like last year there was two.
Good news , I have seen two this morning(Saturday September 3, 2011) sitting close to the nest, now I believe it’s late in the season for mating. I thing is they may just be sizing each other up, I don’t have binoculars to see who is who. Well make sure I bring some to work on Sunday and with luck both will still be there. Will report back on Sunday if I find out anymore news.

Eric Cornelis

!!! Chester is very active.
August 24, 2011 - Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton
CPF Postmaster Reports:

Today Wednesday August 24
I heard Chester squawking so I went out and sat in my usual spot after I had checked all likely perches in the neighbourhood. No-one was around. One of the peregrine followers came up to me and said he had just seen the youngster sitting on the front of the CIBC building on the Yonge street entrance. When I finally got there he had moved to the balcony level on the northwest side of the Canada Square building. I watched him for a bit and then he flew up Yonge street and was gone. I walked up Yonge for a bit but did not see him. On my way back to Y&E I saw a large peregrine fly onto the west face of the Heart and Stroke building. I wasn’t able to get colour then. When I was back at the Y&E corner I found a second peregrine six floors below the top bird. I managed to get colour on both birds at that point. I saw both the female and adult male. They must have been watching and as soon as Chester disappeared they returned to some of their favourite perches. It was very windy out and I guess the west face of the building afforded them the best protection.
They are still around!

!!! Three Pefa’s Active on site!
September 12, 2011 - London - TD Tower
CPF Postmaster Reports:

Sept. 12th - 2011
Good Morning Again:
It’s Monday, September,12 2011 and on my morning rounds I spotted 3 Peregrines this morning. This maybe be a family reunion at the TD Towers before head south for the winter. Sorry still no binoculars so I can’t tell who is who>
Eric

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #646 on: 01-Oct-11, 09:32:09 PM »

Catching Up with Etobicoke Sun Life Family
September 26, 2011 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Tracy Simpson Reports:

First off, let me apologize for the late posting as I have been unable to access the internet lately.  That said, I have had the distinct pleasure of delivering our Project School Visit to Etobicoke schools this past week and took the opportunity to drop in on the Sun Life family for a check in.  It was later in the afternoon on Sept. 23rd and Sept. 26th when I was at the site, and as expected I wasn’t able to locate either Angel or Jack, the resident adults, nor was I able to see either of the juvenile boys, Hera and Skye.  Now that we are entering high time for migration of the young birds, the adults are less defensive of the nest ledge and travel further afield then they would have a short few months ago.  The window washing team that was working on the nest building were able to work away without any interference from either adult the entire few hours that I spent on site which clearly indicates that “nesting” is now complete for the year.  The adults will still use the building and ledge as a night roost and rest spot but it looks like Skye and Hera have the migration jitters and will be gone south very soon.  We wish them the best on their journey and look forward to seeing Jack and Angel continue to call the Sun Life building home.

William Osler Adults in a Bonding Moment
September 26, 2011 - Etobicoke - William Osler
Tracy Simpson Reports:

During my tours in the Etobicoke area delivering Project School Visit, I was able to drop in on the William Osler Hospital site and check in on Hurricane and O’Connor, the resident adult pair.  The three juveniles, Rain, Wind and Storm, were not to be seen but the adults were both in attendance when I arrived.  O’Connor, the female, was in the hydro tower keeping vigilant and Hurricane was inside the nest tray located behind the “H” sign looking like he’d lost the house keys ( or something to that effect )!!  Hurricane was looking down into the tray, then around it, then back at O’Connor in the tower and finally down at his feet.  He looked as though if he didn’t find what he was looking for and quick, that he’d be sleeping in the dog house tonight!!  It would seem that this resident male really gets “empty nest syndrome” quite strongly and with a mate like O’Connor ( all business and tough as nails! ) he wouldn’t ever want to misplace one of the kids!!  It would seem that he has forgotten that he and his mate successfully raised three young this year ( with the help of the CPF volunteer Fledge Watch team during the rescues of Wind and Storm ) and that they have already reached independence!

Almost as if to reassure him, O’Connor left the tower 5 minutes after Hurricane began his search and flew two recon flights of the hospital roof before landing on the sign above him.  He greeted her with a series of ee-chups and bows at which time she joined him on the ledge where they sat together for a good ten minutes.  As I left, both adults had left the ledge and were now perched opposite one another on the east facing “H” of the hospital.  Both adults at this site are still regularly using the hospital as a night roost and rest spot and will continue to hold the territory long after the young have migrated.  Although they won’t defend it as vigorously as a few months ago, I suspect that O’Connor and Hurricane will remain a strong presence for now.  I look forward to seeing more of these two as my school program bookings continue to keep me very busy in the west end of the city.  Congratulations to the William Osler Hospital for another successful year and a heartfelt thank you to all of the staff at the hospital and in security for making it possible!!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #647 on: 01-Oct-11, 10:38:45 PM »

wave  Hi Tracy great to hear from you! Always like hearing you report about O'Connor!
Miss Feisty Falcon!  Grin

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #648 on: 06-Oct-11, 06:41:06 PM »

Quiet and Uneventful
October 06, 2011 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Kathy Reports:

All is well here at the Etobicoke Sunlife nest site.  Both Jack and Angel have been around alot the past few days and are in rebonding mode!   

Last night when I left both were on the nest ledge chupping to each other and this morning when I arrived, Angel was on her hunting perch and Jack was guarding the nest box  Smiley

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #649 on: 06-Oct-11, 10:33:11 PM »

thumbsup

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #650 on: 15-Oct-11, 06:48:19 PM »

Statler Falcon female at MEC

!!! Putting a Name to a Face at MEC!!!
October 15, 2011 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Tracy Simpson Reports:

After many days and lots of long, hard looks Frank and I have now confirmed, without a doubt, the band number of the resident female at the Mississauga Executive Centre!!  This female wears a Black 8 over Red 8 band on her left leg; both top and bottom digit being rotated 90 degrees to the left.  Following up on our discovery, we contacted Barbara Loucks of the New York DEC and she identified her conclusively as a having hatched at the Statler Tower building in Buffalo, New York in 2008.  We immediately shared the news with Connie Adams, the bander of the chicks that year in Buffalo, and found that although banded, she was not named.  As we sat having lunch today with our friends from Rochester that we affectionately refer to as “the girls”, we were remarking how the horizontal 8 was just like a symbol for Infinity; and thus she was named!!

From our documentation, Infinity arrived at the MEC site in spring of 2010 as nesting season was starting.  The resident female, Tessie, who was the victor in the battle last year that prompted the fostering of the 3 chicks ( see MEC 2009 for the full story), and an unbanded male were deep in the throes of courtship   The two adult females locked talons over several days and Infinity won the site that year.  She paired with the unbanded male and produced 4 healthy young; three males and one female.  This year, she continues to be the resident female at this site and has again paired with the unbanded male, easily recognized by his paler back and white chest.  They were not succesful this year in producing any young from their three eggs but continue to reassert their bond with one another with next year’s nesting season in mind.  As more information about this Statler Tower female who we now call Infinity comes in, we will be posting it here so check back soon for all of the details!!

« Last Edit: 15-Oct-11, 09:25:44 PM by Donna » Logged

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #651 on: 15-Oct-11, 09:03:18 PM »

So THAT'S where everyone is today!

“The Girls” from Rochester Meet the William Osler Pair!!
October 15, 2011 - Etobicoke - William Osler
Tracy Simpson Reports:

Today we had lunch with “The Girls” and as they were heading back home, they wanted to stop in and visit peregrines on their way.  We gave them directions to the William Osler Hospital site and after all of the tales we’ve shared with them about this fabulous pair, they wanted to see them for themselves.  They report:

When they arrived on site, both O’Connor and Hurricane were on the east facing “H” sign of the hospital, each on a corner facing one another.  The two of them sat in the lee of the winds enjoying an evening roost without the kids.  Carol remarked on how sweet and pretty O’Connor looked up there with her dapper male, Hurricane.  Needless to say, I have insisted they come back for the 2012 Fledge Watch to see this pair in action and witness what wonderful peregrine parents they are!!

The three young have been away from the nest site for quite some time, fine tuning their skills in preparation for their great flight south.  As Frank has reported to me from his hawk watch, many peregrines are on their way and I suspect that Wind, Rain and Storm have headed towards the border by now.  We wish them a good journey and look forward to seeing them possibly raising families of their own someday!
Posted on October 15, 2011 7:08 pm

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #652 on: 15-Oct-11, 09:28:00 PM »

Gee, I thought I posted that, then I look and posted the same post twice! Oktoberfest....yeah baby. It's the Beer!!  wave beer Gotta blame something!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #653 on: 15-Oct-11, 09:45:39 PM »

Gee, I thought I posted that, then I look and posted the same post twice! Oktoberfest....yeah baby. It's the Beer!!  wave beer Gotta blame something!

hysterical 

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #654 on: 15-Oct-11, 10:45:58 PM »

So THAT'S where everyone is today!

“The Girls” from Rochester Meet the William Osler Pair!!
October 15, 2011 - Etobicoke - William Osler
Tracy Simpson Reports:

Today we had lunch with “The Girls” and as they were heading back home, they wanted to stop in and visit peregrines on their way.  We gave them directions to the William Osler Hospital site and after all of the tales we’ve shared with them about this fabulous pair, they wanted to see them for themselves.  They report:

When they arrived on site, both O’Connor and Hurricane were on the east facing “H” sign of the hospital, each on a corner facing one another.  The two of them sat in the lee of the winds enjoying an evening roost without the kids.  Carol remarked on how sweet and pretty O’Connor looked up there with her dapper male, Hurricane.  Needless to say, I have insisted they come back for the 2012 Fledge Watch to see this pair in action and witness what wonderful peregrine parents they are!!

The three young have been away from the nest site for quite some time, fine tuning their skills in preparation for their great flight south.  As Frank has reported to me from his hawk watch, many peregrines are on their way and I suspect that Wind, Rain and Storm have headed towards the border by now.  We wish them a good journey and look forward to seeing them possibly raising families of their own someday!
Posted on October 15, 2011 7:08 pm

I told Tracy that she just makes up all those stories about how crazy O'Connor is.  That she's really a very sweet girl that is just misunderstood.    laugh

Peregrines know no borders.....
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #655 on: 16-Oct-11, 06:53:59 AM »

I don't know about that Carol cuz when Joyce and I were visiting the site O'Connor was as Mark Nash says "bitching" at Hurricane!  laugh

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #656 on: 28-Oct-11, 07:15:18 AM »

!!! Something in the Air!
October 27, 2011 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Kathy Reports:

Seems something is in the air here these days too.  Today I went out for a break and heard two birds making happy sounds, they sounded like the juvenile falcons when they play so I looked up and to my surprise it was Jack and Angel.  They were playing tag and doing some cool flying maneuvers together.

At one point, it was almost as if they were one bird as they covered each other and flew around together doing loops..it was very cool to watch.  They were making sounds I can’t really describe, it wasn’t the usual echupping sequences I hear between them..it sounded almost like happy chirpping…silly birds Smiley

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #657 on: 09-Nov-11, 05:41:50 PM »

Both Adults On Site
November 06, 2011 - Burlington - Lift Bridge
Frank Butson Reports:

I was emailed a report from Rob and Ann Smith,Tuesday that they saw both McKenzie  and Cirrus at the Burlington Liftbridge. It’s great news to get reports all through fall and winter,just to let us know the falcons are on territory.  We are thankful to our many out of town volunteers and observers for monitoring their Peregrines in “off seasons”.

The Peel Birding Class reported to me that Nov 6th they enjoyed great views  of a Peregrine Falcon sitting in the sun,relaxing on the first tower.

Out for the Afternoon at the Courthouse
November 05, 2011 - Brampton - Courthouse
Tracy Simpson Reports:

Round number four on our list was the Brampton Courthouse to check in on Truss and Milton.  Last time I had dropped in here I was treated to a sighting of both adults roosting on the east side of the building, but today I was to be skunked.  Frank and I checked all sides of the courthouse and found nothing but a bunch of very relaxed pigeons.  We headed north into Brampton and as we reached the train station just north of Queen Street, we found a flock of pigeons wheeling around and so we stopped to look for the cause.  We were unable to get a sighting of either adult but we could certainly see why they would come up this way hunting.  As we drove north on Hwy. 10, each ornate lamppost that lined the older streets of Brampton were decorated with 20 or more pigeons each, just sitting on the arc of the lamppost in the sun.  We made one last check of the courthouse on our way to the Raptor Centre but it would appear that Truss and Milton had other plans this afternoon other than relaxing at home.  I will continue to make the west end rounds throughout the winter and will have more updates for you so keep checking back!!

Dynamic Duo Out Shopping at William Osler
November 05, 2011 - Etobicoke - William Osler
Tracy Simpson Reports:

During our west end nest site rounds, Frank and I popped in to see O’Connor and Hurricane at the William Osler Hospital today.  We searched all four sides of the building and their favourite hydro tower but were not to be seen today.  It was a great day to be out hunting and I am sure that the two adults were taking advantage of the fine weather.  Both Hurricane and O’Connor are being sighted at the hospital off and on throughout most weeks and usually spend a couple of full days on site reaffirming their commitment to one another.  I wil be keeping an eye out for the two of them throughout the peregrine “off season” as last year I was treated to Hurricane hunting right behind our Raptor Education Centre in the open field and at the storm water pond at Rutherford and Weston Rds.  Frank and I will continue to drop in on them so check back soon for more updates!!

Another Sunny Peregrine at MEC
November 05, 2011 - Mississauga - Executive Centre
Tracy Simpson Reports:

During our rounds today, Frank and I also stopped in at MEC.  After searching all four buildings, we found Infinity sitting one section over from the nest box enjoying the afternoon.  There was no sign of her mate while we were there but it would seem from our time at this site that he is usually off hunting in the late afternoons and at times even bringing home some leftovers for her.  It really is different behaviours we see in the adults when juveniles are not present, they don’t have nesting on their mind and territorial defense is not at the same critical level.  It’s almost as if the true “personality” of each individual adult can shine through.  Infinity looked so at ease as she sat overlooking her domain.  It was very nice to see.   

Thank you BF & Tracy!!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #658 on: 09-Nov-11, 05:49:06 PM »

wave  Good work guys!  2thumbsup

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #659 on: 10-Nov-11, 06:35:07 AM »

Both Adults Are On Site
November 09, 2011 - Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton
Frank Butson Reports:

Lyn sent me this report today.

Wednesday November 9th 2011
I was out today just before the drizzle started and noted a peregrine atop the wall north of the nest ledge. I also saw a dot on the TVO antenna.
I dashed home for my binoculars and returned to check on the Peregrines. Fortunately they were still in their same places. I had the female on the Canada Square building, on the wall north of the nest, and assume that the dot on the TVO antenna was the male.  The female had just finished eating. Whilst I was watching them it began to drizzle and both birds hunkered down right out in the open!
I have seen one or other of the Peregrines over the past few months. So it was nice to see the two of them albeit some distance apart.
Cheers
Lyn

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 [44] 45 46 47 48 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: