THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 07:11:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1009330 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #675 on: 05-Dec-11, 08:36:31 AM »

Lakeshore Power plant...why is that ringing a bell?  Is one of "ours" nesting there?  Or offspring of? 

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #676 on: 05-Dec-11, 09:51:35 AM »

Lakeshore Power plant...why is that ringing a bell?  Is one of "ours" nesting there?  Or offspring of? 

Was that where Archer's sister Millie ended up?  I can't access all my notes on the family tree from here...she had eyases with Swifty in Oregon, OH in 2006 & 2007.  She then went on to Leopold in Monroe MI in 2009 & 2010.  Hmmm....

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #677 on: 09-Dec-11, 07:15:35 AM »

Winter Behaviour
December 08, 2011 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Kathy Reports:

It’s been a ghost town here the past 2 weeks.  Angel was around and visible quite a bit early last week during the warmer than usual weather.  She could be seen sunning herself on her favorite perch most mornings.

Since the colder weather has arrived this week there has been no sightings of her .  I havent’ spotted Jack for almost 2 weeks now either.  Even the pigeons are in hiding!

This is not unusual at this type of year.  No doubt they have taken shelter out of the wind and cold and likely also have to travel further out to find a meal.   Sun is finally in the forecast for later today so I’ll keep my eyes peeled and hope she makes an appearence on her favorite perch.

!!! Like Clockwork!
Kathy Reports:

Haha..I swear this pair reads our CPF blogs.   The sun is coming up and shining brightly and sure enough both Angel and Jack just showed up on the nest ledge!

Jack is by the nest box and Angel is on her perch sunning herself.  They both have full crops and there are feathers all over the ground so likely they were on the roof having breakfast!  Great to see them both again, it just makes my day when I see for myself that they are safe and healthy  Smiley

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #678 on: 09-Dec-11, 08:26:04 AM »

!!! Like Clockwork!
Kathy Reports:

Haha..I swear this pair reads our CPF blogs.   The sun is coming up and shining brightly and sure enough both Angel and Jack just showed up on the nest ledge!

Kaver always did-no reason Angel & Jack should be any different!  gum

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #679 on: 09-Dec-11, 08:48:23 AM »

2thumbsup Thanks Kathy and Donna for sharing!  wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #680 on: 11-Dec-11, 03:43:24 PM »

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2011/12/sightings/peregrine-tommy-thompson-park/ Some more pics of the Red/Black Juvie from the US

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #681 on: 18-Dec-11, 06:21:04 PM »

Was that where Archer's sister Millie ended up?  I can't access all my notes on the family tree from here...she had eyases with Swifty in Oregon, OH in 2006 & 2007.  She then went on to Leopold in Monroe MI in 2009 & 2010.  Hmmm....

The resident male at the Lakeshore Power Plant is Michelin, banded black/green B/94. He was born at the I-480 Valley View Bridge nest site in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, in 2008. His mate is Sparky, banded S/75, from the Oregon-Bay Shore Power Plant in Toledo, Ohio, also born in 2008. In 2010, Michelin was also the resident male, and Sparky was probably the resident female, although her bands were only partially read at that time. I don't know of any connection to the Rochester peregrines.

Millie, banded black 81/K, was at the Monroe Power Plant nest in Monroe, Michigan. In 2010 she and Leopold had four chicks, one male and three females. Three of the juvies spent time in rehab and were banded; two females, Lindsay, black/red 75/E and Randi, black/red 76/E, and one male, Dave, black/red 07/C. Leopold was found on the ground on June 16, 2010 and died on the following day of a skin-eating bacteria in the crop.

In August, 2010, the remaining juvie, who was unbanded, was found in very poor condition, extremely emaciated. She was not named, but was banded black/red 77/E. She was expected to be released by the end of September 2010, but I have not seen any further updates on her.

I haven't been able to find 2011 updates on Millie so far.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #682 on: 18-Dec-11, 07:40:50 PM »

Lakeshore Power plant...why is that ringing a bell?  Is one of "ours" nesting there?  Or offspring of?  

Was that where Archer's sister Millie ended up?  I can't access all my notes on the family tree from here...she had eyases with Swifty in Oregon, OH in 2006 & 2007.  She then went on to Leopold in Monroe MI in 2009 & 2010.  Hmmm....

The resident male at the Lakeshore Power Plant is Michelin, banded black/green B/94. He was born at the I-480 Valley View Bridge nest site in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, in 2008. His mate is Sparky, banded S/75, from the Oregon-Bay Shore Power Plant in Toledo, Ohio, also born in 2008. In 2010, Michelin was also the resident male, and Sparky was probably the resident female, although her bands were only partially read at that time. I don't know of any connection to the Rochester peregrines.

Millie, banded black 81/K, was at the Monroe Power Plant nest in Monroe, Michigan. In 2010 she and Leopold had four chicks, one male and three females. Three of the juvies spent time in rehab and were banded; two females, Lindsay, black/red 75/E and Randi, black/red 76/E, and one male, Dave, black/red 07/C. Leopold was found on the ground on June 16, 2010 and died on the following day of a skin-eating bacteria in the crop.

In August, 2010, the remaining juvie, who was unbanded, was found in very poor condition, extremely emaciated. She was not named, but was banded black/red 77/E. She was expected to be released by the end of September 2010, but I have not seen any further updates on her.

I haven't been able to find 2011 updates on Millie so far.

Funny, I forgot to check more when I got home that night.  It must have been the Bayshore that was ringing the bell, not Lakeshore.

Thanks for the research.  I knew Millie had 4 eyases with Leopold the year he died, but I didn't have names or band numbers.  

But, there may be a connection after all.  My records are showing Sparky is the 2008 daughter of Millie (Archer's sister) and Swifty-I have her (Sparky's) band as P/75, hatched Bayshore Power plant.  If one of us has an incorrect band listed and Sparky was still the resident female, then Centennial does have a Rochester connection...great-great-grand-eyas of M&K via Freedom (& Purity).  And related to Beauty too...Swifty was the son of Roosevelt (& Freedom) who was the brother of Erie, Beauty's father.  

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #683 on: 18-Dec-11, 08:09:18 PM »

Just checked the midwest database-I think they have Sparky listed at the wrong nest site.  The band is B/G S/75, but they have her hatched at Hilliard Rd.  3 are listed as hatched & banded at Bayshore, but only 2 birds are shown.  

And notes from CMNH forum:

C&C: MIFan: We were told by DOW that her bands are S/75, although the data doesn't match up in the archives. The archives say it's "Sparky" from '08 Hilliard, which isn't accurate-- that was the year of Mystic (S/22) there. S/74 is Ravine from '08 I-480 nest, and S/76 is "Pelligrina" from '08 Toledo, so this female's ID remains a mystery.

MIfan:C had & Chris: Thank you so much for responding and thanks for the banding info ... I've updated my records with it.

My notes show Sparky S/75 is from 2008 Oregon-Bay Shore Power Plant (Toledo), so maybe we do know who she is!
----------------------------
I'll update my bands in the family tree...
« Last Edit: 18-Dec-11, 08:14:50 PM by Dumpsterkitty » Logged

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #684 on: 20-Dec-11, 07:17:38 AM »

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2011/12/sightings/cirrus-and-mackenzie-on-site/ Great photo of MacKenzie from Burlington Lift Bridge.

Thanks BF for posting

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #685 on: 21-Dec-11, 06:55:33 PM »

Just checked the midwest database-I think they have Sparky listed at the wrong nest site.  The band is B/G S/75, but they have her hatched at Hilliard Rd.  3 are listed as hatched & banded at Bayshore, but only 2 birds are shown.  

And notes from CMNH forum:

C&C: MIFan: We were told by DOW that her bands are S/75, although the data doesn't match up in the archives. The archives say it's "Sparky" from '08 Hilliard, which isn't accurate-- that was the year of Mystic (S/22) there. S/74 is Ravine from '08 I-480 nest, and S/76 is "Pelligrina" from '08 Toledo, so this female's ID remains a mystery.

MIfan:C had & Chris: Thank you so much for responding and thanks for the banding info ... I've updated my records with it.

My notes show Sparky S/75 is from 2008 Oregon-Bay Shore Power Plant (Toledo), so maybe we do know who she is!
----------------------------
I'll update my bands in the family tree...

I am beginning to wonder if Sparky is actually the female at the Lakeshore nest. She definitely was not from Hilliard. I can't seem to find any records of what actually happened in 2008 at the Bayshore Power Plant.

One addition to the information on Millie's 2010 chicks; the female who was found on the ground in poor condition, banded black/red 77/E, was given a name - Atira. It sounds as if she was released:

From the Midwest Peregrine site:

Bird was collected on ground in August - emaciated but no other injuries. Banded before release.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #686 on: 21-Dec-11, 07:09:03 PM »

I am beginning to wonder if Sparky is actually the female at the Lakeshore nest. She definitely was not from Hilliard. I can't seem to find any records of what actually happened in 2008 at the Bayshore Power Plant.

One addition to the information on Millie's 2010 chicks; the female who was found on the ground in poor condition, banded black/red 77/E, was given a name - Atira. It sounds as if she was released:

From the Midwest Peregrine site:

Bird was collected on ground in August - emaciated but no other injuries. Banded before release.

I'm pretty sure it is the same Sparky-her sister that year was named Electra and the male named Chance. For such a huge database one typo is understandable.

I was surprised the 2008 nest wasn't reported more.  They made the papers in 2007 with Ted & Lucas hatching on and falling off an active conveyor belt.  2008 started in the same place with a relocation to a proper box.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #687 on: 24-Dec-11, 02:40:06 PM »

!!! Green Christmas
December 22, 2011 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Kathy Reports:

As I write this, it’s a balmy 7 celcius outside and with the sunshine, it feels even warmer outside.  Angel and Jack were both sunning themselves on the ledge when something caught their eye and off they went together towards the lake.

Across the street there are literally hundreds of pigeons lined up on the rooftops basking themselves in sunlight and I can see flocks of Starlings flitting from tree to tree.   It feels and looks more like Spring than Winter!

Let’s hope when Spring does officially arrive it won’t be looking and feeling like Winter as it has the past 2 years!  Happy Holidays to everyone!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #688 on: 29-Dec-11, 09:23:21 AM »

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2011/12/sightings/cirrus-wont-share/  Some great pics

Cirrus Wont Share
December 29, 2011 - Burlington - Lift Bridge
Frank Butson Reports:

Vince Filteau and Sue Adorjan’s  great photos of Cirrus and Mackenzie. These were taken earlier in December. The first 2 photos are from Vince. Sue has graciously provided the rest. Thanks again for sending your sighting and wonderful photos to us and allowing them to be used!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #689 on: 29-Dec-11, 10:50:22 AM »

notworthy Fantastic photos!  thanx

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: