THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 03:17:49 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1009432 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #690 on: 05-Jan-12, 07:00:56 AM »

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2012/01/sightings/centennial-spotted-again-at-bluffers-park/

Centennial Spotted Again At Bluffers Park
January 04, 2012 - International, National and Local News
Frank Butson Reports:

Back in October,CPF volunteer and friend,Ann Brokelman got photos of a Peregrine Falcon we later found out from contacts in Ohio where she was hatched at the East Lakeshore Power Plant, that her name is Centennial. We got the band number back then from photos Ann took at The Rosetta McClain Gardens Raptor Watch in Scarborough Ontario Canada(east end of Toronto).
Well today Pat and Nancy Anderson were at a park only 2.5km away from Rosetta McClain Gardens called Bluffers Park. It is at the Scarborough Bluffs.  Pat and Nancy sent me their photo and a report of what they observed. They saw the juvenile Peregrine hunting ducks and pigeons. She successfully caught a pigeon near the restaurant. Clearly,Centennial’s black over red band 79/H can be seen in the photo.

Its doubley exciting when a bird that has been rescued makes it. CPF and my Rosetta McClain Raptor Watch friends will be keeping an eye open for more sightings of Centennial.

Thanks to Pat and Nancy Anderson for use of their photo.

We heard from folks in Ohio that plant workers were thrilled to hear about Centennials 2 sightings,and that she is alive and well. It turns out she had been rescued after being blown out of her nest or fledged prematurely. I received 2 messages from Ohio.

From Chad and Chris(who work with the Peregrines in that state and were at Centennials banding.) “Thanks again for the information and pics,  Frank! You thrilled many with it!”

And from Amy C who said “To BIGFRANK,Ann and The Canadian Peregrine Foundation:” Thanks for the info on Centennial - I was at her banding at Lakeshore Power Plant, and then back as a raptor rescuer when she got blown off the nest/took a premature flight a few week afterwards. I’ll let my contact @ the plant know. Chris told me about your post….it made my day”

Here is a photo Amy sent along of Centennial on the day she was rescued.

Thanks to Amy for her photo.

Once again we see that banding helps us ID Peregrine Falcons and track them even across international borders. Working together with our friends to the south we find out where our birds end up and what they are doing

This is awesome news BF, thanks! What a pretty girl. Love the name too!!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #691 on: 06-Jan-12, 03:52:23 PM »

!!! Both Adults on Site
January 06, 2012 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Kathy Reports:

Angel and Jack have been enjoying the mild weather today.   Angel, of course, on her favorite perch and Jack either by the nest box or over on the next ledge.  Neither of them seem to be inclined to do much other than bask in the sun and enjoy the warm air after several days of cold Arctic air.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #692 on: 06-Jan-12, 08:36:53 PM »

!!! Both Adults on Site
January 06, 2012 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Kathy Reports:

Angel and Jack have been enjoying the mild weather today.   Angel, of course, on her favorite perch and Jack either by the nest box or over on the next ledge.  Neither of them seem to be inclined to do much other than bask in the sun and enjoy the warm air after several days of cold Arctic air.

Jack needs to give Archer some tips! lol  devil

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #693 on: 07-Jan-12, 09:36:26 PM »

A Great Day at King Street
January 07, 2012 - Toronto - King Street Tracy Simpson Reports:

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2012/01/sightings/a-great-day-at-king-street/

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #694 on: 07-Jan-12, 11:25:38 PM »

thumbsup

-John Burroughs
BIGFRANK
« Reply #695 on: 08-Jan-12, 08:30:28 AM »

We did have a fun time at King St. Harry actually came upon us by accident. He saw folks in the street with binoculars and realized it was us. We bumped into a few interested passersby including a reporter who is interested in doing some sort of article on Peregrine's.   We also made a quick stop yesterday to check on the Osler pair but neither was present. Chatting up Linda as well as seeing my good friend Ann was a nice treat. Weather was ridiculously good for a first week of January!
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #696 on: 09-Jan-12, 06:28:23 AM »

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/w/2012/01/sightings/happy-2012-falcon-watchers/ report and pics

Happy 2012 Falcon Watchers
January 08, 2012 - Burlington - Lift Bridge
Sue McCreadie Reports:

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #697 on: 10-Jan-12, 10:26:33 PM »

!!! Good news from London Ontario
January 10, 2012 - London - TD Tower
CPF Postmaster Reports:

We have just received some interesting news from a falcon spotter in London Ontario that may spell some very good news regarding London peregrines. It would appear that two falcons have been spotted yet again in downtown London Ontario. Given the time of year, seeing two adult peregrines still hanging around together could spell a bonded pair holding down a territory. If they stay, we very well might see a nest in the making this spring. Fingers crosssed!

Ed writes:
Two adult falcons seen in London on King and Colborne. Flying between the buildings trying to confuse to pigeons for a little snack.
Ed Purcell

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #698 on: 11-Jan-12, 06:11:48 AM »

Meanwhile..back at Jack's 'other' nest site  Kiss pray

Jan 2, 2012 - Happy 2012!!

Even in the winter months there's activity on site so I figured I'd give a quick update for those wondering.

If I didn't know better I could swear on the weekend I saw a bit of what could seem like early courtship, likely brought on by some of the warmer weather we were experiencing. Thankfully the cold returning will subdue the hormones and keep the falcons quiet for another few months.

That said, Jack is still on site regularly, I often see him flying over from his other home around 715AM, and I also see both falcons hanging around on the ledges near the flagpole, so there are definitely two around at least some of the time.

Over the holidays I went to Nanticoke and thought I might have some luck finding our offspring Marla who now resides around the powerplant. I didn't have any luck catching her but I did snap some other birds of prey with the camera, if you're interested check my photo blog here.

Other than that it's probably going to be quiet for at least a couple of months and then I'd expect the annual mayhem to ensue once again. Updates to follow whenever things pick up.

All the best for everyone in 2012!!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #699 on: 11-Jan-12, 08:05:21 AM »

wave Thanks Carly and all the best to you too in 2012!  Grin
 foxbinocs

-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #700 on: 11-Jan-12, 05:17:42 PM »

Happy New Year Carly!  Thanks so much for your updates.  I'd like to see your pictures.  Please feel free to post the link to your photo blog here.   wave

Peregrines know no borders.....
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #701 on: 11-Jan-12, 07:20:36 PM »

Mississauga, Ontario

From the Canadian Peregrine Foundation:

The resident pair at this nest has been Infinity, born in 2008 at the Statler Tower in Buffalo, and her mate Eternity. In November Infinity was found injured after a collision with a building, but made a remarkable recovery and was released.

Now there is bad news from Mississauga; Infinity is missing. I hope she is safe somewhere and that she will turn up soon.

Two Days at MEC Infinity is gone . . . the rogue is back!

January 10, 2012 - Mississauga - Executive Centre

Tracy Simpson Reports:

I don’t even know how to begin this report as so much has happened the last two days. I guess the beginning is best.

I decided on a recon mission yesterday of the GTA west end sites. The “dynamic duo” at William Osler were out hunting. At Brampton, there was no one home. My last stop was MEC. When I arrived, I found the female to the right of the nest box on MEC 1 and the male sitting on the corner of MEC 1 two ledges to her right. Something was really odd. This female was extremely uneasy and looked over her shoulder every 30 seconds or so.

This was not the Infinity that I had come to know. The male was unconcerned, sitting on the corner digesting a rather large crop. The female leaned forward to stretch and I couldn’t see the bands that would have indicated that this was Infinity. The bird took off after 15 minutes and headed over to MEC 4 and landed on the Jevco sign. Having watched this site closely over the last few years I have never seen Infinity sit on that sign, EVER. A moment later, off she went to the east with a distinct purpose. There was no chase or challenge, just a swift exit. I knew I had to come back and confirm what I believed I was seeing.

Today Frank and I arrived at the site just before 11:00am and found a single bird on the south side of MEC 2. We were able to confirm right away that this was the male we call Eternity. We left him on the building and went in search of a second adult bird. The male took off of the building at 11:45am and headed across the street to the Morguard building, landing on the “D” He has a stash up there that he begins to eat. Frank and I head over to the building and watch him eat, getting photos of him on the sign. After 10 minutes, he looks up and stares back at the MEC buildings and begins to call. Out of nowhere from behind MEC 3, a female fllies in and joins him on the sign briefly. He takes off with the food and heads back over to MEC 3, disappearing on the north side with the female following. Frank and I race back to MEC 1 where the two adults have finally settled. The male was sitting on the Symcor sign and the female was on the south corner eating the food that the male was carrying.

The female looked very familiar. This was the interloping rogue that was present at the site when we brought Infinity back from rehab for release. She continued to eat the food while the male quietly watched from the sign. By 2:00pm, both birds had taken to the air and there was a great deal of flying displays, mostly by the female, for the next 45 minutes. We left the site with the male sitting on the southeast corner of MEC 3 and the female still aerial displaying around all 4 buildings.

It is unknown where Infinity is or what has happened here. Did she migrate? Will she return in the spring? After a meet with security, we know that no injured bird has been found on the grounds of any of the MEC buildings. We will have to wait and watch this site closely as spring approaches to know the final outcome. Wherever Infinity is now, all of us at CPF wish her good winds and blue skies and we hope to see this beautiful female again one day.

The pictures below are from both yesterday and today of the adults present at MEC.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #702 on: 11-Jan-12, 11:20:27 PM »

Sad

-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #703 on: 12-Jan-12, 05:49:33 AM »

Happy New Year Carly!  Thanks so much for your updates.  I'd like to see your pictures.  Please feel free to post the link to your photo blog here.   wave

Heh..they are Mathew's updates from his blog.  Sorry shouldn't have assumed everyone knew that!  Here is the link to his blog site! 

http://www.asic.ca/peregrinefalcons/
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #704 on: 12-Jan-12, 05:21:40 PM »

Well, thanks for sharing Matthew's updates Carly.   Wink

It is very sad that Infinity is no longer at Mississauga.  We visited her and her mate Eternity last year.  They are a beautiful pair.  The fact that she was a Buffalo gal made her special to us.  Although they are ALL special.  We even helped name her when we had dinner with the CPF gang.  Her band has a sideways 8, which is of course the sign for Infinity.   happy

I truly hope that she is ok and just chased out of the area or on migration.  Be well Infinity wherever you are.   wub2

Peregrines know no borders.....
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 [47] 48 49 50 51 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: