THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 06:37:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1009481 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #735 on: 12-Feb-12, 10:09:10 AM »

Just to clarify, here's the scoop on Erin and Windwhistler.

PHEW!!  Hope that helps to sort it all out!!  Very confusing at times but that is the straight skinny on the pair.

Thanks for the full scoop!  It's amazing to me how many families are linked together!  clap

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Windwolves
Pipping

Like Count: 6

View Profile
« Reply #736 on: 12-Feb-12, 10:20:05 AM »

I almost forgot to mention, not only is Erin sister to Chantal from Market Tower, Indy but also Mary Ellen at the LG&E plant in Kentucky her first year and then moved to the Miami Fort Station plant in Ohio with River Ace.  She was replaced and did not return in 2009.  Erin is the last surviving young of the 1998 Froedtert Malt clutch and is still going strong.  With her and WW now both being 14 years old, I expect to scope the ledge and see them sitting in rocking chairs and reading the paper!  Just kidding.  I've seen WW lately and he is as spry as he ever was.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #737 on: 12-Feb-12, 10:23:26 AM »

All I can say is...UNREAL!! Thanks   Shocked

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #738 on: 12-Feb-12, 10:42:44 AM »

I almost forgot to mention, not only is Erin sister to Chantal from Market Tower, Indy but also Mary Ellen at the LG&E plant in Kentucky her first year and then moved to the Miami Fort Station plant in Ohio with River Ace.  She was replaced and did not return in 2009.  Erin is the last surviving young of the 1998 Froedtert Malt clutch and is still going strong.  With her and WW now both being 14 years old, I expect to scope the ledge and see them sitting in rocking chairs and reading the paper!  Just kidding.  I've seen WW lately and he is as spry as he ever was.

I had seen a note from Juanita on CMNH that she was a clutch-mate of Mary Ellen, but I didn't know anything about Mary Ellen-thanks!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #739 on: 12-Feb-12, 10:45:12 AM »

I almost forgot to mention, not only is Erin sister to Chantal from Market Tower, Indy...Erin is the last surviving young of the 1998 Froedtert Malt clutch and is still going strong.  

I had seen a note from Juanita on CMNH that she was a clutch-mate of Mary Ellen, but I didn't know anything about Mary Ellen-thanks!

And, if memory serves me correctly (I'm at work so researching is tough), Chantal (Kathy Q) was displaced by a Toronto bird...

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: 12-Feb-12, 10:56:56 AM »

You guys did an outstanding job in piecing all of this complicated history together.  How wonderful to know that an offspring of Alberta - who was fostered in Ontario all those years ago with the hopes of helping to bring the falcon population back has succeeded beyond anyone's hopes I'm sure.  Everyone can be truly proud of this accomplishment!

That WW is still alive and going strong with an equally strong mate who herself comes from such good lineage is outstanding.  And if that's not enough, they live next door to their son who is paired with the offspring of another legendary pair Mariah and Kaver! 

I am so thankful we have a banding program at times like this!   notworthy
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #741 on: 12-Feb-12, 11:14:24 AM »

Amazing history!  Just for clarification, is it Ponce-Kingsley or Pounce-Kingsley? I have read both and wondered which is the correct spelling.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: 12-Feb-12, 11:16:13 AM »

Amazing history!  Just for clarification, is it Ponce-Kingsley or Pounce-Kingsley? I have read both and wondered which is the correct spelling.
I've seen it both ways, but most often Pounce-Kingsley.  There is a story behind the name which escapes me at the moment...

Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: 12-Feb-12, 11:34:08 AM »

I have a Canadian Peregrine foundation videotape, Life on the Ledge, filmed in July of 1998.  It follows the Etobicoke nest, with a young Windwhistler and his siblings, one of whom, Angel, also went on to a long and remarkable career as a territorial falcon. At one point the camera centers on Windwhistler and Angel as the narrator explains that most juvenile peregrines do not survive their first year.  

Life on the Ledge is from a time when urban peregrines were a new development, and has the best footage I've seen of the behavior of juveniles.  It's a shame that it is no longer available.  I really should burn a DVD from my copy.  Maybe CPF could raise some money by reissuing it on DVD (or even Blu-Ray, if they have a good master copy).

I'd been wondering what became of Windwhistler and Mandy.  It turns out that, as is typical of peregrines, they were hiding in plain sight.

Paul
Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« Reply #744 on: 12-Feb-12, 12:25:29 PM »

I have a Canadian Peregrine foundation videotape, Life on the Ledge, filmed in July of 1998.  It follows the Etobicoke nest, with a young Windwhistler and his siblings, one of whom, Angel, also went on to a long and remarkable career as a territorial falcon. At one point the camera centers on Windwhistler and Angel as the narrator explains that most juvenile peregrines do not survive their first year.  

Life on the Ledge is from a time when urban peregrines were a new development, and has the best footage I've seen of the behavior of juveniles.  It's a shame that it is no longer available.  I really should burn a DVD from my copy.  Maybe CPF could raise some money by reissuing it on DVD (or even Blu-Ray, if they have a good master copy).
Paul

I have that videotape as well, and thought it was entertaining and educational...I'd definitely vote for a re-issue!

Patti
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #745 on: 12-Feb-12, 03:06:39 PM »

And, if memory serves me correctly (I'm at work so researching is tough), Chantal (Kathy Q) was displaced by a Toronto bird...

Forgive me-take that back-Chantal/Kathy Q is still resident female in Indianapolis with Kinney.  I was thinking of Durand (2009 Sheraton Hamilton, ON) who arrived at Rhodes State Office Tower Columbus OH after Scout was killed.

KapiVT
Eyas

Like Count: 9

View Profile
« Reply #746 on: 12-Feb-12, 03:26:22 PM »

I've seen it both ways, but most often Pounce-Kingsley.  There is a story behind the name which escapes me at the moment...

If I remember correctly, it is Ponce...for Ponce de Leon.  And the Kingsley is a street name...where he was bred?  first seen?  Not sure about the connection.
Kapi
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #747 on: 12-Feb-12, 03:33:22 PM »

Speaking of Victoria & Pounce-Kingsley...just rummaging through the photo archives at CPF and I ran into this one...

...which I recognize from the Sheraton home page.  This is the caption:

May 1999 -- Victoria stands guard over her less than week-old chicks, while Pounce-Kingsley watches from the slots along the Sheraton Hotel nest ledge.

(Photo by Marcel Gahbauer)

So...was Victoria & Pounce-Kingsley's original nest at the Sheraton and they moved to 18 King St.?  Or did they alternate?  For some reason I thought King St. was always where they nested with one switch to the King Edward Hotel across the street once.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: 12-Feb-12, 04:31:55 PM »

Amazing history!  Just for clarification, is it Ponce-Kingsley or Pounce-Kingsley? I have read both and wondered which is the correct spelling.
I've seen it both ways, but most often Pounce-Kingsley.  There is a story behind the name which escapes me at the moment...

If I remember correctly, it is Ponce...for Ponce de Leon.  And the Kingsley is a street name...where he was bred?  first seen?  Not sure about the connection.
Kapi

I found this article from the Reading Eagle November 2000...

Letter to Bill Uhrich

It appears to be a response regarding Victoria, who hatched nearby (my records say Philadelphia-Reading is near there).  Marcel says he was named Pounce where he was hatched in Akron, OH.

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #749 on: 12-Feb-12, 05:30:27 PM »

Looking through the archives just now for something else, I happened upon this article on Pounce-Kingsley and Victoria that I thought you might all enjoy and might answer some questions you've been asking here.  Please enjoy and ..oh...there is a mention of Cabot-Sirocco at the end as well..small world isn't it  handshake

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/talontales/ttprofile.html
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 48 49 [50] 51 52 53 54 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: