THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 01:20:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 ... 161   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Canada Falcons: All but those hatched in Rochester  (Read 1009412 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: 17-May-12, 12:03:49 AM »

New Resident Female at Etobicoke Sun Life Identified; A Must Read!!
May 16, 2012 - Etobicoke - Sun Life Centre
Tracy Simpson Reports:

Today was the happiest.  Every once in a while something overly magical happens and you get to have “a moment”.  It’s brilliant.

The last few days I have been out to the Etobicoke Sun Life nest site trying to determine who the new resident female is.  From the photos taken by Mark Nash, it was clear that a banded bird with a Black over Green recovery band was the new resident female.  Now we needed to get to the task of identifying her.  Two previous tries at an identification from Eagle Road and Bloor Street through the scope and she wouldn’t even flinch.  But today I was treated to the most memorable experience I have had in a very long time.

The bird that presented itself on the nest tray was sleeping when I arrived at 3:00pm.  Each and every opportunity I had to see her, she was fast asleep on the edge of the tray next to her 4 healthy and happy hatchlings.  She consistently roosted on her left leg, the one that I wanted to see and possibly photograph.  She sat for half an hour not moving, only sleeping.  This had me a little concerned and confused as this female was so docile with gulls, crows and other activity all around her.  Earlier I had the opportunity to briefly see her fly and she did that well with good landings and excellent control and she roosted in the strong winds with good balance.  She just seemed really tired.  When I thought about it, this is a new female at a new site, with a new male, new chicks and a new territory.  I’m tired just thinking about it.  From all that I have observed, she seems to have everything under control and looks to be flying and feeding well.

At around 3:30pm this afternoon, Jack flew in with a food package for the young ones and she greeted him on the ledge, took the food and then proceeded to feed the kids.  I snapped away with my camera in the hopes of catching a glimpse of her band and recording what my eyes could not see.  My little digital camera has an awesome lens until I go into the digital range and I hoped for a clear photograph in the blustery winds.  After feeding the chicks, she took off of the nest ledge and flew over to a corner perch.  She sat there on the edge of her chosen ledge and watched the world around her quietly, only occasionally calling to Jack with a few chups.   I again set to snapping photographs as fast as my little camera could take them and I struck it lucky with a crystal clear shot.  After blowing the photo up, I was able to clearly and without doubt read her band number and it is Black M over Green 87.  I was speechless and unable to stop a tear from coming to my eye.  It’s O’Connor.

I don’t know whether I’m happy, sad, confused or all of them mixed together but I drove away from the site blasting the music and singing like a silly thing at the top of my lungs.  Between smiles and tears I thought of all of the adventures I have shared with this bird over the past three years watching her and am so excited to see what the season will bring.  I stopped for gas on the way to the barn and at the counter when I was asked if I wanted anything else I said, “Better give me a lottery ticket ‘cause today I feel soooooo lucky!”

More observations and pictures to come!!!

I'm so happy for you Tracy and everyone else who loves O'Connor so much!! Great news huh Carly? 
wave Wink clap

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #811 on: 17-May-12, 12:30:51 AM »

good news  Good news on both sides of the border today or should I say yesterday!?  abs-cheers Cheers to continued good stuff happening! Gotta love ALL our falcons!  heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: 17-May-12, 05:44:53 AM »

Awww...Tracy I'm so happy you've found your girl!  Welcome to Etobicoke Sunlife O'Connor!  And yay for all of us because now you will come visit  notworthy

Wonderful news to wake up to !  abs-cheers
BIGFRANK
« Reply #813 on: 17-May-12, 05:46:37 AM »

Im fairly certain MAK heard Tracy singing across the lake!! While we will all miss Angel, we are glad to see our old friend Oconnor. Im sure there are many adventures left to come.
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #814 on: 17-May-12, 08:02:11 AM »

Im fairly certain MAK heard Tracy singing across the lake!! While we will all miss Angel, we are glad to see our old friend Oconnor. Im sure there are many adventures left to come.

I wondered what that noise was coming from the north!  rofl

-John Burroughs
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #815 on: 17-May-12, 12:33:10 PM »

I'm so happy for all the O'Connor lovers!  This is great news! 

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #816 on: 17-May-12, 09:38:33 PM »

I'm so happy for all the O'Connor lovers!  This is great news! 
I too am Happy for you guys. It makes me hope Mariah is somewhere....
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: 17-May-12, 10:06:41 PM »

good news  Good news on both sides of the border today or should I say yesterday!?  abs-cheers Cheers to continued good stuff happening! Gotta love ALL our falcons!  heart

Who is O'Connor?

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: 17-May-12, 10:28:35 PM »

Who is O'Connor?

She'd been at the William Osler Hospital for a few years.  This year young Chessie from the Central Terminal in Buffalo took over that nest site.  O'Connor had not been seen for quite awhile before she turned up at the Etobicoke nest site.  We all love hearing Tracy's stories of beautiful & fierce O'Connor.  So glad she's been found and at the same time sad for the missing Angel, Dot.ca's mom.

Peregrines know no borders.....
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #819 on: 17-May-12, 10:37:11 PM »

Who is O'Connor?

She'd been at the William Osler Hospital for a few years.  This year young Chessie from the Central Terminal in Buffalo took over that nest site.  O'Connor had not been seen for quite awhile before she turned up at the
Etobicoke nest site.  We all love hearing Tracy's stories of beautiful & fierce O'Connor.  So glad she's been found and at the same time sad for the missing Angel, Dot.ca's mom.

I think I remember her and her mate Hurricane?  What happened to him or is he still there?

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #820 on: 17-May-12, 11:46:49 PM »

Who is O'Connor?

She'd been at the William Osler Hospital for a few years.  This year young Chessie from the Central Terminal in Buffalo took over that nest site.  O'Connor had not been seen for quite awhile before she turned up at the
Etobicoke nest site.  We all love hearing Tracy's stories of beautiful & fierce O'Connor.  So glad she's been found and at the same time sad for the missing Angel, Dot.ca's mom.

I think I remember her and her mate Hurricane?  What happened to him or is he still there?

I believe he is still at William Osler with Chessie.

Peregrines know no borders.....
BIGFRANK
« Reply #821 on: 18-May-12, 05:43:58 AM »

That is correct. They had their first egg May 2.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #822 on: 18-May-12, 07:43:40 AM »

!!! And Then There Were 3
May 17, 2012 - Niagara Falls
Frank Butson Reports:

Our falcon watching friends in Rochester went on a road trip to Buffalo to observe from the US side our nest at Niagara Falls.

Mak and Joyce reported:

The unbanded male, CPF calls Onyx, brought a food package and mom fed the eyases. Joyce was able to determine that there were 3 little fuzz ball heads being fed looking through my scope. So 1 egg hatched since yesterday with 2 remaining. She flew out and cached the leftovers and returned. A while later he flew in to relieve her and take over the incubation duties. I spotted her on a window south of the scrape after she flew around a bit.

A Heart Pounding Pursuit
May 17, 2012 - Toronto - Canada Square Building - Yonge and Eglinton
Frank Butson Reports:

Lyn Reports:

Canada Square report 2012 May 17

A slow beginning to the afternoon’s observations. Three quarters of an hour after I arrived I heard calls but could not find the peregrine. A few minutes later I spotted Stormin leave the nest and fly to RC and settle 6 floors down. A few minutes later he flew to the fourth upright/wall on Canada Square for a few minutes before flying south and disappearing.

Half an hour later, Haven flew to the mast atop 2180 Yonge and had difficulty keeping her perch so she flew to the RC building and perched 2 floors down from the top. I was chatting to someone and watching Haven when I saw her fly off the perch and head towards Canada Square. I thought she was going to the scrape. Not so. She went into a stoop and focused on a pigeon flying towards the TTC garage under the black building. Heart in mouth I watched as she sped towards the wall, chasing the pigeon. The pigeon escaped and at the absolute last minute Haven realised where she was and pulled into a steep climb as she turned away from the wall. My heart was pounding. That was a really close shave!!!!

She flew up over Canada Square and then higher and circled lazily over RC three or four times before disappearing to the east.

Half an hour later when my heart was in a normal rhythm again I spotted Stormin with a food parcel on the RC building 5 floors from the top. Two minutes later, he flew to the nest ledge and two minutes after that he was off again. He flew north around Canada Square and down to the mast at 2180 Yonge and then back up the west side of Canada Square to the NW corner where he sat for a few minutes before flying to the SW corner of the same building. He was in full sunlight and seemed to be enjoying it. Haven flew off the nest over 53 Division with the remains of the food parcel then circled back without the food. Stormin had, in the meantime, flown north around Canada Square and disappeared to the east. When Haven flew back she followed part of his route but came back over Canada Square and then to RC where she briefly perched 3 floors down from the top. A couple of minutes later she flew to the nest ledge and disappeared from sight. Stormin had not returned so I left.

Watching Haven chase the pigeon was practise for those heart stopping moments when the eyases fledge!  MY heart was pounding reading this! See what focusing on a pigeon can do? She at least, came out of her pigeon trance and retreated!   phew

Lyn

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #823 on: 19-May-12, 06:05:51 AM »

http://www.windsorstar.com/news/Windsor+Peregrine+falcon+chicks+named+tagged/6646170/story.html

Windsor's new Peregrine falcon chicks named and tagged. Check out the names!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story/2012/05/18/wdr-peregrine-falcon-twitter.html video

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #824 on: 19-May-12, 07:00:51 AM »

clap

-John Burroughs
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54 [55] 56 57 58 59 ... 161   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: