THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 01:50:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is Quest these days?  (Read 13213 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« on: 08-Oct-10, 11:13:05 PM »

Just wondering where Quest is, if the transmitter is still working and if any updates are coming soon??
« Last Edit: 09-Oct-10, 09:51:32 AM by Kris G. » Logged

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: 09-Oct-10, 10:47:51 AM »

Just wondering where Quest is, if the transmitter is still working and if any updates are coming soon??

The transmitter is still working, and she is still visiting the power plant daily.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10-Nov-10, 07:55:09 PM »

We will be getting a Quest update soon?  Nothing since oct. 19th.  Just wondering.....

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10-Nov-10, 07:57:50 PM »

We will be getting a Quest update soon?  Nothing since oct. 19th.  Just wondering.....

{I think it may be a secret, so don't tell anyone I told you...check her "other maps" up above...  secret2 }

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11-Nov-10, 07:33:31 PM »

{I think it may be a secret, so don't tell anyone I told you...check her "other maps" up above...  secret2 }

Shocked She's always a surprise!  I won't let on that I know..thanks!   whistle

anneintoronto
« Reply #5 on: 17-Nov-10, 05:26:14 PM »

I was over in that area on Sunday, joining some birderwatchers in search of Thickson's Woods' resident Great-Horned Owl.  Quest didn't come by to say hello...  Darn!!  At least the owl was friendly and sat out in the open so we could see him well!  Must send one of my pigeons with a note for Quest next time, so we can arrange to meet!   wave

Anne in Toronto
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17-Nov-10, 07:42:26 PM »

Where is Quest these days?  I can't access anything on the "Other maps" to see and wondered if she's still on the east end of the Lake or returned to the TO area.

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: 17-Nov-10, 08:03:29 PM »

The Other Maps link is working again.

Quest was still on the east end of Lake Ontario yesterday.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17-Nov-10, 09:25:28 PM »

The Other Maps link is working again.

Quest was still on the east end of Lake Ontario yesterday.

Yup, it's working now! Thanks, Shaky!  2thumbsup

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27-Nov-10, 06:29:29 AM »

Quest made on 13th november a trip to Colorado Springs.
A few hours later she was back at Lake Ontario.

http://tinyurl.com/372jwkg
« Last Edit: 27-Nov-10, 08:45:33 AM by Annette » Logged

loheron
Fledgling

Like Count: 23

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27-Nov-10, 07:34:05 AM »

This is a joke, right? Or is this serious? Larry O

Quest made on 13th november a trip to Colorado_Springs.
A few hours later she was back at Lake Ontario.

http://tinyurl.com/372jwkg
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27-Nov-10, 08:42:53 AM »

That's 1,606 miles or 2584 km in about 2.9 hours.  I think, perhaps, a bad data point?

Paul
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 27-Nov-10, 09:18:26 AM »

It looks like the wrong set of coordinates were entered. There are always two solutions to the satellite tracking equations. (Remember those quadratic equations in high school algebra?) These two solutions represent the positions on the Earth's spherical surface that intersect the line representing the direction of Quest's signal as determined by the Doppler shift of the orbiting satellites. At least that's how I understand it.

Anyway, there are always two sets of coordinates, and it is usually the first set that is correct. However,  in this case, the 2nd set was correct, but the 1st set was plotted on the map. Quest's correct position was near Prince Edward Point
loheron
Fledgling

Like Count: 23

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27-Nov-10, 04:29:41 PM »

Thanks for the explanation. Larry O

It looks like the wrong set of coordinates were entered. There are always two solutions to the satellite tracking equations. (Remember those quadratic equations in high school algebra?) These two solutions represent the positions on the Earth's spherical surface that intersect the line representing the direction of Quest's signal as determined by the Doppler shift of the orbiting satellites. At least that's how I understand it.

Anyway, there are always two sets of coordinates, and it is usually the first set that is correct. However,  in this case, the 2nd set was correct, but the 1st set was plotted on the map. Quest's correct position was near Prince Edward Point
Lord G
Juvie

Like Count: 48

Peregrine Paparazzo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 27-Nov-10, 06:14:11 PM »

Well, my working theory is that Quest was abducted by aliens and taken to their base high in the boreal forests of Colorado...

Unfortunately Argos doesn't provide any guidance as to which of the two sets of coordinates are the correct one for any given data set.  Thus far, it has always been the case that the first set are correct, but context is clearly important when plotting the data...

The data point was pretty obviously bogus. Not only does it show Quest hundreds of miles farther west than she's ever traveled, but the nearest data points both before and after the one plotted were back at PEP.  Those data points had very poor Location Class and quality values associated with them.  But she's been so boring lately with her concentration around Prince Edward Point that I thought I'd spice up the map with a little "zinger" courtesy of Argos.

"Even a fool, when he holdeth his peace, is counted wise"
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: