THE FORUM

28-Apr-24, 12:16:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest  (Read 69252 times)
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 22-Nov-09, 11:04:38 AM »

She's been out that way a couple of times,
Makes you wonder what lures her west

she probably thought the watchers were coming up again to try and see her  rofl
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 28-Nov-09, 11:53:36 AM »

Don't forget to check the comments in Imprints.  Lennoxman has such a sense of humor and his last post included pics from a peregrine's eye view from the top of the Lennox Power Plant where the nestbox is. 

Here are his last 2 posts:

November 27, 2009 at 12:28 pm
Here are some pictures that I promised from my last post. They give you an idea of Quest’s environment right now.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/44816090@N06

November 26, 2009 at 10:47 am
Happy Thanksgiving neighbours! You all know the term “it’s like searching for a needle in a haystack”. Well, I’m going to change that to “it’s like searching for a Quest near a smoke stack”. According to her transmitter, Quest has been frolicking around here the last couple of days. I’ve looked high and low but my searches are fruitless. I think I’ll make an appointment with my Optometrist to get my eyes checked  There’s a lot of waterfowl activity in the wetland these days so I’m sure Quest is indulging in this all-you-can eat buffet. Since I can’t provide you with any pictures of Quest yet, I’ll provide you with some images that could be viewed through her eyes while she is at Lennox. I’ll post them later today.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 28-Nov-09, 11:56:22 AM »

Don't forget to check the comments in Imprints.  Lennoxman has such a sense of humor and his last post included pics from a peregrine's eye view from the top of the Lennox Power Plant where the nestbox is. 

I've been checking there too...but a good reminder!  She definitely inherited her Daddy's stealth ability!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 28-Nov-09, 12:47:51 PM »

I think Quest has the ability to bring countries together-- course it will be due to frustration  Grin

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 28-Nov-09, 03:12:53 PM »

It looks as if there's a door in the front that has been fastened shut.  How on earth would Quest recognize this as a nest box??  Or am I looking at the back of the nest box in these photos?  I'm easily confused ...  stupid

Dot in PA

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 28-Nov-09, 03:21:30 PM »

Hi Dot,

this is the back of the nestbox.

Greetings
Annette

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 28-Nov-09, 04:18:19 PM »

It looks as if there's a door in the front that has been fastened shut.  How on earth would Quest recognize this as a nest box??  Or am I looking at the back of the nest box in these photos?  I'm easily confused ...  stupid

Dot in PA

Hey Dot, that's the door they use to retrieve the eyas's for banding...(hopefully, there will be a full nest in the Spring). hatch1 heart spinning hatch1 heart spinning hatch1 heart spinning hatch1 heart spinning

Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 29-Nov-09, 01:14:50 AM »

Don't miss Carol's report of our 2nd quest for Quest...

FalconWatch:  http://rfalconcam.com/falconwatching/?p=353

Forum: http://rfalconcam.com/forum/index.php?topic=821.0
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 29-Nov-09, 06:27:19 AM »

Don't miss Carol's report of our 2nd quest for Quest...

FalconWatch:  http://rfalconcam.com/falconwatching/?p=353

Forum: http://rfalconcam.com/forum/index.php?topic=821.0

Really nice pics and OMG....those crows...I'm still in  Shocked

Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 29-Nov-09, 08:54:28 AM »

That is some beautiful country. Love the islands. Wonder what it would be like in winter though? The CROWS  Shocked wow now those are huge birds wonder what kind of food they have been eating to get so big.

Question about Lennoxman's pictures. It looks like the nest box is metal, is it? Wouldn't it get too hot in the full sun?  confused
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 29-Nov-09, 05:32:13 PM »

That is some beautiful country. Love the islands. Wonder what it would be like in winter though? The CROWS  Shocked wow now those are huge birds wonder what kind of food they have been eating to get so big.

Question about Lennoxman's pictures. It looks like the nest box is metal, is it? Wouldn't it get too hot in the full sun?  confused

Good question.  I really thought it was made of wood when we looked at it from below.  I just check Lennoxman's pictures and it sure does look like it's made of metal.  I think I'll send a question off to Mark Nash (CPF), to ask what he thinks about that.

Carol P.

Peregrines know no borders.....
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 29-Nov-09, 07:39:27 PM »

Looks like metal to me. wave

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 29-Nov-09, 07:53:15 PM »

Looks like metal to me. wave

I also noticed a back door...I'm not sure if this is right. According to Bob Anderson :

"People often want to modify this design by building an access door on the back. Don’t do
this – it is very, very dangerous for the chicks. If people try to reach in from the back
during banding, they will drive the chicks to the front. If the chicks are panicked enough
and old enough, they can be bumped into premature flight. This is a very bad thing."

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 29-Nov-09, 08:09:39 PM »

I just found this on Bob Anderson's site:

http://www.raptorresource.org/build.htm

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 29-Nov-09, 08:36:25 PM »

I sent an email to Mark Nash at the Canadian Peregrine Foundation to ask about the nest box at the Lennox Power Station and included a link to Lennoxman's pictures.  I'll let you know when I hear back from him.

Peregrines know no borders.....
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: