THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 10:57:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest  (Read 69235 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: 29-Nov-09, 08:59:38 PM »

Looks like metal to me. wave

I also noticed a back door...I'm not sure if this is right. According to Bob Anderson :

"People often want to modify this design by building an access door on the back. Don’t do
this – it is very, very dangerous for the chicks. If people try to reach in from the back
during banding, they will drive the chicks to the front. If the chicks are panicked enough
and old enough, they can be bumped into premature flight. This is a very bad thing."

I think Lennoxman mentioned it was originally set up as a hack box (Linn was seen at a hack box in Scarborough) and the back door on those is for feeding the eyases before they're released.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: 29-Nov-09, 09:34:11 PM »

Looks like metal to me. wave

I also noticed a back door...I'm not sure if this is right. According to Bob Anderson :

"People often want to modify this design by building an access door on the back. Don’t do
this – it is very, very dangerous for the chicks. If people try to reach in from the back
during banding, they will drive the chicks to the front. If the chicks are panicked enough
and old enough, they can be bumped into premature flight. This is a very bad thing."

Yes, your right Ei...but if Quest decides to use it, will it have to be changed? A hack  box would have a cover on the front, therefore...back door feedings.

I think Lennoxman mentioned it was originally set up as a hack box (Linn was seen at a hack box in Scarborough) and the back door on those is for feeding the eyases before they're released.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 29-Nov-09, 09:42:42 PM »

Yes, your right Ei...but if Quest decides to use it, will it have to be changed? A hack  box would have a cover on the front, therefore...back door feedings.

There are usually removable bars on the front so the birds can see out but not get out until they can fly and they can't see the person dropping a quail in the back door.  I don't remember if the bars were there or not in Scarborough, but they are easily removed if someone decides to use the box for a nest.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 29-Nov-09, 09:48:00 PM »

Yes, the nest box that Linn was/is? being seen at was originally a hack box.  Tybropa-Cree was hacked from that box.  I saw pictures of him and his siblings inside the box with bars at the front.  The bars have been removed.  Like Donna said, they are there to protect the eyases.  To keep them from fledging too early.

Not sure if the box at the Lennox Power Plant is the same or not.

Carol P.

Peregrines know no borders.....
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: 30-Nov-09, 08:22:43 PM »

No wonder Quest hasn't been seen at the power plant...she's on her way to Cape Vincent, NY!  Or on her way back...or she read Chicki's note and she's checking out the ferry!  hyper

chicki
Pipping

Like Count: 3

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 30-Nov-09, 08:46:57 PM »

If she's headed "my" way, it's because there are many migrating birds passing through. Or maybe she has a taste for the little birds we call "snow birds" that are starting to settle in this area for the winter. It would be awesome to have her stop in some weekend for tea with me!
chicki
Pipping

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: 30-Nov-09, 09:01:31 PM »

One concern (if it even is one), Wolfe Island (land mass near Quest) has just brought 100+ wind turbines online.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: 30-Nov-09, 09:23:13 PM »

One concern (if it even is one), Wolfe Island (land mass near Quest) has just brought 100+ wind turbines online.

YIKES!  I certainly hope it's not something to worry about! 

Where are you located, Chicki?

chicki
Pipping

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 01-Dec-09, 07:09:09 AM »

I live and work here in Webster, but I also have a place on Chaumont Bay. My parents live there full time. We are located on Point Peninsula, specifically. All this means we are just 10 miles from Cape Vincent's main street. Wolfe Island is just a stone's throw from town.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 01-Dec-09, 08:23:33 PM »

I live and work here in Webster, but I also have a place on Chaumont Bay. My parents live there full time. We are located on Point Peninsula, specifically. All this means we are just 10 miles from Cape Vincent's main street. Wolfe Island is just a stone's throw from town.

It is quite beautiful there, although I've only driven through in the winter...hopefully there will be a reason for a spring/summer road trip through there next year!

Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 04-Dec-09, 09:03:32 AM »

Quest was back in Canada again.  Now that we have more daytime transmissions, it looks as if she has been ranging all over the lake.

http://rfalconcam.com/imprinting/?page_id=737

Paul
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: 04-Dec-09, 03:18:19 PM »

Did you see what's out there in the water?  On Nov 28 and Dec 2 it looks like she might be hanging around a light house, and a historic one at that!

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=316

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Charity_Shoal_Light

~Joyce

chicki
Pipping

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: 04-Dec-09, 03:41:06 PM »

There is a guy that travels by boat out to the Galloo Islands (near that light house), from a "marina" near me. If I see his boat docked next time I'm up there, I will ask him to keep an eye out for Quest when he's out there. The Galloo's have been home to cormorants, and controversy, in the decade past.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 04-Dec-09, 04:49:06 PM »

Did you see what's out there in the water?  On Nov 28 and Dec 2 it looks like she might be hanging around a light house, and a historic one at that!

http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=316

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Charity_Shoal_Light

~Joyce

What a beautiful Lighthouse...that girl has taste. 

valhalla
« Reply #89 on: 04-Dec-09, 05:05:52 PM »

Wow!  A very different typed of lighthouse from what I'm used to!  They are automated, so people shouldn't be a problem.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: