THE FORUM

26-Apr-24, 02:35:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 21   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Atlanta Zoo Pandas  (Read 153265 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 18-Dec-10, 07:40:59 PM »

I captured this video of Lun Lun and her cub Friday afternoon...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dlj5metsPU8

Ei

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: 19-Dec-10, 12:27:39 AM »

Very cute!
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 03-Jan-11, 04:19:46 PM »

He's growing!  panda Recent pic posted on Atlanta Zoo site shows his eyes are now opened!

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 03-Jan-11, 06:37:10 PM »

What a cute little boy he is! Thanks Kris.

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 03-Jan-11, 09:56:48 PM »

He is adorable! I found this also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JkCDdohLW8&feature=related

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 04-Feb-11, 03:36:18 PM »

The Giant Panda cub will be 100 days old on Feb. 15th and then he will be given his name!

Wednesday, February 2
Yesterday while I was collecting behavioral data on Lun Lun and her cub, I saw a few moments of play-fighting. Play-fighting is the most common type of play exhibited by young giant pandas, and it has been an interest of mine for many years. Play-fighting is what it sounds like – play behavior that resembles fighting. In giant pandas, this takes the form of wrestling, biting, paw swatting, and chasing. It’s also sometimes referred to as rough and tumble play. You have probably seen dogs, cats, or even children (usually boys) engage in this kind of play. The boys comment isn’t a joke. Play-fighting is more common in young males of some species than it is in young females. This is true for humans and giant pandas. Lun Lun’s new cub is a male. So, I am not surprised to see the early development of play-fighting in him. And I look forward to seeing a lot more of it in the coming months. Play, especially between mother and offspring, is my favorite behavior to watch. I think most people feel the same. Get ready. We have a lot of enjoyable play watching to come!
Rebecca Snyder, PhD
Curator of Mammals

Friday, February 4
The cub had his exam yesterday and he weighed 4.55 kg. He’s been working hard lately at getting all four of his paws underneath him so that he can stand up. He took some time during his most recent exam to practice. He’s not stable, but he is making good progress on this goal and will soon be an accomplished walker. During the exam, vet staff noted small bumps along his gums, which means his teeth will likely erupt very soon. 
Megan Wilson, Ph.D.
Assistant Curator of Mammals

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 15-Feb-11, 12:00:42 PM »

Zoo Atlanta and Dreamworks Animation Announce Panda Cub’s New Name
Tue February 15, 2011

100 Day Celebration Features Appearance by Actor Jack Black from “Kung Fu Panda” and “Kung Fu Panda 2”

ATLANTA – February 15, 2011 ― Officials at Zoo Atlanta and DreamWorks Animation SKG, Inc. (Nasdaq: DWA) have issued a joint announcement that the only giant panda cub born in the U.S. in 2010 has a name: Po. The name is a tribute to the lead character, Po the panda, in the upcoming DreamWorks Animation film, Kung Fu Panda 2, which will be distributed by Paramount Pictures starting on May 26, 2011.

The announcement was made this morning by representatives from Zoo Atlanta and DreamWorks Animation, the official sponsor of the 100 Day Giant Panda Cub Celebration and the naming of Po. Actor Jack Black, who voiced the iconic character of Po the panda in Kung Fu Panda – which grossed over $630 million at the worldwide box office – and who will reprise his role in the upcoming sequel, was present for the naming of the newborn panda cub.

“Today’s announcement is the beginning of an amazing alliance between Zoo Atlanta and DreamWorks Animation. Our organizations share a commitment to giant panda conservation, particularly at the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding,” said Raymond B. King, President and CEO of Zoo Atlanta. “We are proud and honored to share this moment with Jack Black, who has already helped to bring the importance of saving this species to a new generation of conservationists.”

Giant pandas are among the world’s rarest mammals, with fewer than 1,600 believed to remain in the wild. The giant panda program at Zoo Atlanta supports conservation programs at the Chengdu Research Base of Giant Panda Breeding and in nature reserves in China.

In the Kung Fu Panda films, Po is an unlikely hero challenged by preconceived notions of what a kung fu warrior should be. Following the likeable but clumsy Po and his allies on a series of adventures, the films celebrate the power of self-worth and the ability of an individual to affect positive change.

These themes are equally fitting for the giant panda cub. He is an ambassador for his species, helping to draw attention to the plight of giant pandas in the wild. Born to Lun Lun on November 3, 2010, the 3-month-old now known as Po is already proving to be a great ambassador. Followed by thousands of fans on the world-famous PandaCam presented by EarthCam, the cub is expected to make his public debut in late March or early April. View PandaCam at zooatlanta.org/panda_cam.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 23-Feb-11, 02:35:57 PM »

Posted on Atlanta Zoo website:
Wednesday, February 23
Po has been very busy over the last week! In addition to getting a name, he has worked out how to climb in and out of the nest box and yesterday Lun Lun took him out into the dayroom for the first time. I gave Lun Lun access to the dayroom around 8:30, where she spent about an hour eating, and by 9:45, she decided to carry Po out and sit with him in the hammock. Po nursed and then slept in the hammock while Lun Lun ate bamboo. Lun Lun left Po in the dayroom most of the day. She is such a confident mother now that she did not mind leaving Po in the dayroom while she ate in the dens later in the day. Lun Lun likes to keep us guessing, so I do not know if she will take Po out every day, but his first trip to the dayroom was very successful.
Heather Baker Roberts
Carnivore Keeper II

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 23-Feb-11, 06:39:26 PM »

That is the most "precious" picture. Thanks for posting Kris. Love the hammock!

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 23-Feb-11, 06:44:58 PM »

I actually got to watch them in the hammock for a few minutes yesterday.  Lun Lun was so cute holding her arms along the edges to keep him from rolling off.

(And I just need to say it & get it off my chest.  While I KNOW the price China charges the zoos for the Giant Pandas is beyond exorbitant, I am very disappointed that Zoo Atlanta sold the naming rights to Hollywood.)

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 23-Feb-11, 07:38:03 PM »

I actually got to watch them in the hammock for a few minutes yesterday.  Lun Lun was so cute holding her arms along the edges to keep him from rolling off.

(And I just need to say it & get it off my chest.  While I KNOW the price China charges the zoos for the Giant Pandas is beyond exorbitant, I am very disappointed that Zoo Atlanta sold the naming rights to Hollywood.)

I watched Po sleeping in the hammock yesterday-such a cute butterball!  As for the name, a lot of people were literally angry with the name Po and how it came to be, Ei. On FB, the comments were not very nice and many were upset with not being part of the naming process. It just seemed like a hyped up Hollywood event!  I know the zoo got a lot of money from Dreamworks and also money went to Chengdu but... BTW-Dreamworks also named a Giant Panda at the Madrid Zoo Po. The Chinese are going to be getting a lot of Pos back to China when they're returned if this keeps up.

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 23-Feb-11, 07:43:56 PM »

I was quite surprised that this babe was named by Dreamworks.  I guess the money helps but I was really shocked

Anatole France
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: 23-Feb-11, 07:55:05 PM »

I was quite surprised that this babe was named by Dreamworks.  I guess the money helps but I was really shocked

The day it happened, we were all shocked.  Last year, we could vote on Chinese names picked by zoo people but this year the zoo kept saying that it was going to be a great event on naming day with an "international star".  Jack Black was the "star" as in Kung Fu Panda. Whole thing was cartoonish-just my opinion.  People did say tho that the zoo would be helped by Dreamworks with the $500,000 annual fee that the Chinese charge for keeping the Pandas.

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 23-Feb-11, 09:04:41 PM »

I saw Jack Black on Good Morning America the day of the naming.  It did seem pretty glitsy rather than the usual naming procedure.  The money will help though. 

Anatole France
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 04-Apr-11, 03:48:15 PM »

Po is now 5 months old and has become quite the climber!   panda

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MS-t3oeaBhE#ws

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 21   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: