THE FORUM

16-Apr-24, 06:28:28 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wood Duck cam in NC  (Read 3476 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 26-Feb-11, 06:30:42 AM »

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/woodiecam1#id5382090 so far 8 eggs.

I have a total of 48 Wood Duck boxes on Holt Lake. In 2010 I hatched out 226 young Wood Ducks from 25 boxes. I also have 100 Prpthonotary Warbler boxes and had 21 nests with 82 young Warblers to leave the boxes.

Holt Lake is 2.5 miles long and is 600 acres rimmed with cypress trees.

UPDATES: Sign up for e-mail updates. send an e-mail to woodiecam1@nc.rr.com

Predator Guards: Wood Ducks are a prey animal. I have made every effort to protect the nesting hens by putting predator guards on all of my Wood Duck boxes. Be aware that it is still possible for Raccoons and Black Snakes to get around the guards but it is rare.

valhalla
« Reply #1 on: 26-Feb-11, 08:15:46 AM »

Wood ducks another cute duck!  I got to see the brand-new babied and mama with the "broken wing" routine a few years back up at Greenwood Lake.
marytyson
Eyas

Like Count: 17

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26-Feb-11, 04:25:40 PM »

When we lived in Connecticut there was a large flock of mallards that came to our back yard to be fed.  Every year it seemed that there was a bachelor of another species that attached himself to the flock.  The last two years it was a Wood Drake, who developed a positively possessive attitude toward one particular mallard duck.  He would not let any other males near her, and would fly at them, pecking and uttering his sharp, rather soprano quack.  She never strayed, and I often saw them grooming each other.  Strange bedfellows, indeed!

Mary  in Charlotte (NC)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 26-Feb-11, 04:49:15 PM »

When we lived in Connecticut there was a large flock of mallards that came to our back yard to be fed.  Every year it seemed that there was a bachelor of another species that attached himself to the flock.  The last two years it was a Wood Drake, who developed a positively possessive attitude toward one particular mallard duck.  He would not let any other males near her, and would fly at them, pecking and uttering his sharp, rather soprano quack.  She never strayed, and I often saw them grooming each other.  Strange bedfellows, indeed!

Mary  in Charlotte (NC)

Nice story Mary. Happy to see you on! Hope your well.

valhalla
« Reply #4 on: 27-Feb-11, 07:26:07 AM »

Nice story Mary. Happy to see you on! Hope your well.

yahoo  ditto  Mary!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: