THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 05:48:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Indy Falcons  (Read 86788 times)
valhalla
« Reply #15 on: 28-Apr-11, 12:48:38 PM »

2nd hatch today 8:50am   clap

Yay!   2thumbsup
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28-Apr-11, 01:12:16 PM »

hatch1 hatch1   2thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 08-May-11, 10:46:52 PM »

Something is wrong at the Indy nest. 1 baby died on May 3 and the other does not look well. He's hanging in there but has some sort of red rash all over him. Something bacterial maybe. OMG this is so sad.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 09-May-11, 05:19:20 PM »

Seems silly, but the first thing that enters my mind when I wake up is if that little chick is still alive.  And each day I’ve been rewarded.

I still think it is looking better day by day and it seems to be a little more active in the nest box – that is if KathyQ isn’t hovering over it constantly.  She’s velcro-ed to it I believe!  I am hoping with the warmer temperatures we are expecting that she won’t feel the need to pull the wing veil over it.  I’m not saying we are totally out of the woods yet - I just want you all to keep that in mind.  It definitely is one well fed little falcon.  And by gosh, it is one tough little falcon!  I know it has tons of folks rooting for it.

I will have to admit that this will be one for the books for me in terms of a falcon season.  I have had so many experiences with these birds over the years and there are so many highlights from each year but this one will be seared in my mind forever!

The chick will be banded if it survives but it will be a low-key and hopefully a low stress event.

Lone eyas, the fighter.

By Laura

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10-May-11, 07:43:17 PM »

Well here we are at 1 week and 5 days old.   Every day is a gift.

It was very warm in Indy today, temperatures in the 80s.  I don’t know whether that motivated the little one to finally escape the confines of KathyQ’s wing curtain or it is just trying to assert some independence.  Probably a bit of both.  But it is moving around more and more.  At times, it seemed squashed up against one wall or the other and appeared pretty still but it could be it is just gathering its strength.  Even with more chicks in the box, we’ve seen that behavior before from one or more of them – the old game of playing dead.  So don’t panic and think there is some bad news – just be patient and look for subtle moves.

Since this little one is by itself, it may not be as active without the companionship and interplay provided by siblings.  I don’t know.  There is usually a little bit of horseplay among the chicks while they are constrained by the box.  I will learn along with all of you.

I caught this pic of mother and child looking into the camera this evening.  Love the shot.

By Laura James-Reim

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10-May-11, 07:56:08 PM »

Well here we are at 1 week and 5 days old.   Every day is a gift.

It was very warm in Indy today, temperatures in the 80s.  I don’t know whether that motivated the little one to finally escape the confines of KathyQ’s wing curtain or it is just trying to assert some independence.  Probably a bit of both.  But it is moving around more and more.  At times, it seemed squashed up against one wall or the other and appeared pretty still but it could be it is just gathering its strength.  Even with more chicks in the box, we’ve seen that behavior before from one or more of them – the old game of playing dead.  So don’t panic and think there is some bad news – just be patient and look for subtle moves

Since this little one is by itself, it may not be as active without the companionship and interplay provided by siblings.  I don’t know.  There is usually a little bit of horseplay among the chicks while they are constrained by the box.  I will learn along with all of you.

I caught this pic of mother and child looking into the camera this evening.  Love the shot.

By Laura James-Reim

What a little fighter!  I'm so glad it's doing better!

valhalla
« Reply #21 on: 11-May-11, 05:12:34 AM »

yes "Every day is a gift" - wise words from Laura - words that we need to remember with all of OUR Falcons and their eggs.  Heck!  Every day is a gift to every one of us - enjoy it  yippee
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 11-May-11, 05:59:39 AM »

yes "Every day is a gift" - wise words from Laura - words that we need to remember with all of OUR Falcons and their eggs.  Heck!  Every day is a gift to every one of us - enjoy it  yippee

For sure sister!  bow

margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 11-May-11, 07:33:22 AM »

For sure sister!  bow

Absolutely True!  ditto
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11-May-11, 12:16:30 PM »

yes You got that right Janet!  Grin

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 12-May-11, 06:57:39 PM »

Okay falconheads, I think the word of the day should be….

Dote.

As defined by the online free version of  the Merriam-Webster dictionary:

To  be lavish or excessive  in one’s attention, fondness, or affection – usually used with on as in doted on her only child

Yes, I think that would aptly describe KathyQ’s behavior.   She is a doting mom, but not in her dotage.

Is it because she has only one chick to concentrate on and has never faced this situation before?

I am only surmising that’s the reason for her constant hovering, looking at and sometimes poking the little one, following it from corner to corner.  And it often does not seem to be too thrilled with her over doting!

And boy does she like to feed it.  She’ll feed it til the cows come home – I mean until it is so full it doesn’t even want to look at her beak full of proffered food.

But this is all good in my eyes.  As I said before, I think they often know or sense the well-being of their offspring on a level we don’t know or contrary to what we may see on screen.

So I continue to dote along with her and still watch this little family everyday with much fascination and yes, joy.

By Laura today

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 12-May-11, 07:13:25 PM »

Such good news!    2thumbsup

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12-May-11, 07:43:02 PM »

Grin

-John Burroughs
chlosmom
Juvie

Like Count: 12

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 12-May-11, 09:56:05 PM »

hopefully it's all this doting that has helped this baby to thrive and survive--you
go mom! heart
valhalla
« Reply #29 on: 13-May-11, 05:35:00 AM »

So I continue to dote along with her and still watch this little family everyday with much fascination and yes, joy.

By Laura today

Laura has been watching the Indy falcons for something like 20 years, so she actually spent time watching all be herself.  For a few years, she'd let others explain what they were watching, as she had told the story so many times.  This is one really bright lady and her gut and logic holds some real weight in my book.  Think about it - all of those years of watching AND there is still something new to learn!  educated 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 ... 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: