THE FORUM

19-Apr-24, 02:29:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Indy Falcons  (Read 86775 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: 25-Jun-14, 03:25:00 PM »

Hold on to your hats...we think Will has been displaced. We caught a male bird in the box today with bands 36/R. This bird is the offspring of KathyQ and Kinney from 2012 and is named Sesenta - in honor of Kinney's 60th offspring. Yes, you read correctly. We know nothing more - whether Will is permanently displaced (or perhaps dead), whether Sesenta will hang around or just what will happen. And the bonding picture I posted yesterday was likely between KQ and Sesenta. This mother/son scenario has played out before. Falcon Crest has nothing on these guys. STAY TUNED.

Shocked

from fb

patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: 25-Jun-14, 03:39:02 PM »

Hold on to your hats...we think Will has been displaced. We caught a male bird in the box today with bands 36/R. This bird is the offspring of KathyQ and Kinney from 2012 and is named Sesenta - in honor of Kinney's 60th offspring. Yes, you read correctly. We know nothing more - whether Will is permanently displaced (or perhaps dead), whether Sesenta will hang around or just what will happen. And the bonding picture I posted yesterday was likely between KQ and Sesenta. This mother/son scenario has played out before. Falcon Crest has nothing on these guys. STAY TUNED.

Shocked

from fb
Eeeeuuuuwww!

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: 25-Jun-14, 04:29:58 PM »

Shocked

from fb

nausea

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: 25-Jun-14, 04:42:05 PM »

June 25th, 2014 | by Laura James-Reim | 0 Comments

Is Will Gone? What is Going On? Oh MY!

Wow, my head is still spinning. Big news today in the Market Tower falcon world. It looks like Will has been displaced. Whether that means he is dead, I truly can’t answer.

There are lots of questions surrounding this story that I won’t be able to answer.

When I looked in this morning, I noticed that I saw a “6″ on the band of the bird that was right in front of the camera. Will’s band is 02/P. KathyQ’s is B/C. Logical conclusion? This bird was neither one of them. So I called on the peregrine patrol to keep their eyes on the camera to see if we could see the whole band number. And luckily this afternoon, Susan N. captured this pic:

The band clearly reads 36/R. A check in the Midwest Peregrine Society shows this bird to be….(drumroll and you may want to put down any liquid you might be drinking so you don’t spit it out)…Sesenta. This bird is the son of KathyQ and Kinney from 2012. Yes, you read that correctly. He is KathyQ’s son. The son of legendary Kinney. BTW – Sesenta means 60 and is in honor of Kinney’s 60th chick.

What? Why? How? Can’t answer any of that. But this is not an anomaly in the bird world as I understand it but not the usual way pairing up in the falcon world. I can’t answer anything about what birds do or don’t remember or who they may or may not recognize.

This may be a permanent stop for Sesenta or it may not. We just have to see how this plays out over time. Perhaps Will is not dead and there may be future changing of the male guard in this nest.

But wow, isn’t this just incredible? It is for me and I’ve been watching for a whole lot of years! Falcon Crest (a really old soap opera) has nothing on these guys!

I leave you with this picture…this is Sesenta on the perch and gosh darn, if it doesn’t remind me of my old love Kinney sitting there.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: 25-Jun-14, 06:22:14 PM »

Polly & Algo are brother and sister and they produced a beautiful female Samantha. In the human world, not a good idea but in the animal, bird world, it's probably more common! Still, it kinda weirded me out also but pooh happens!!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: 25-Jun-14, 06:45:06 PM »

Polly & Algo are brother and sister and they produced a beautiful female Samantha. In the human world, not a good idea but in the animal, bird world, it's probably more common! Still, it kinda weirded me out also but pooh happens!!

Look at Dorothy with her grandson, E2!  Know it happens but kinda creepy..jmo

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: 12-Jul-16, 03:46:17 AM »

I found the legendary KathyQ at home in the nest box today. Born in Milwaukee in 1998, she turned eighteen years old on May 17 of this year.

Sesenta, her last son with Kinney, is still her mate, although KathyQ has now retired from raising chicks and has laid no eggs for the last two years.

Her sister, Erin, from the same clutch, also turned eighteen on May 17. Erin is the long-time resident female at the King Street nest in Toronto. She and KathyQ are a remarkable pair of sisters.

KathyQ is still the Queen of Indiana, and is as beautiful as ever.

http://www.indystar.com/story/life/falcon-blog/2013/10/28/falconcam/3289199/?from=global&sessionKey=&autologin=
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: 12-Jul-16, 06:50:52 AM »

18 is a long, healthy life for a Peregrine!

OK, so help me out here, she has a mate for 2 years, no eggs, no babies but he stays with her. I thought males just want to have (sex) and make babies!!  wub2

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: 12-Jul-16, 07:30:36 AM »

OK, so help me out here, she has a mate for 2 years, no eggs, no babies but he stays with her. I thought males just want to have (sex) and make babies!!  wub2

Not if it's the absolutely most prime nesting spot in the area. Territory is far more important than offspring.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: 12-Jul-16, 09:15:50 AM »

Erin has been with Stormin, Rhea Mae and Tiago's son, for a couple yrs now.  Sad for him as he's 7 years old and is with a mate that will never give him a family.  He did foster kids with Haven and I believe they had their own the next yr.  After that, Haven moved on with someone else and poor Stormin ended up with Erin.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: 12-Jul-16, 09:39:05 AM »

Erin has been with Stormin, Rhea Mae and Tiago's son, for a couple yrs now.  Sad for him as he's 7 years old and is with a mate that will never give him a family.  He did foster kids with Haven and I believe they had their own the next yr.  After that, Haven moved on with someone else and poor Stormin ended up with Erin.

Poor fella, they all deserve to have babies!! Maybe it is  heart who knows!!!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: 12-Jul-16, 11:39:18 AM »

OK, so help me out here, she has a mate for 2 years, no eggs, no babies but he stays with her. I thought males just want to have (sex) and make babies!!  wub2

Erin has been with Stormin, Rhea Mae and Tiago's son, for a couple yrs now.  Sad for him as he's 7 years old and is with a mate that will never give him a family.  He did foster kids with Haven and I believe they had their own the next yr.  After that, Haven moved on with someone else and poor Stormin ended up with Erin.

Poor fella, they all deserve to have babies!! Maybe it is  heart who knows!!!

I read that Stormin has protected Erin against intruding females so he does show a devotion to her. Could be love, who knows.

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: 31-Mar-17, 01:51:46 PM »

Reported on BCAW that a deceased Peregrine is in the Indy box..no ID yet but maybe Kathy Q.  crying

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: 31-Mar-17, 06:31:09 PM »

Reported on BCAW that a deceased Peregrine is in the Indy box..no ID yet but maybe Kathy Q.  crying

OMG......how awful and so sad!!!   Sad

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: 31-Mar-17, 06:53:25 PM »

OMG......how awful and so sad!!!   Sad

The pic on BCAW is awful..looks like it's been there a while.  Someone was supposed to retrieve it for an ID.

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 [12] 13   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: