THE FORUM

17-Apr-24, 09:24:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Please sign this petition to protect radio collared bears (Lily, Hope, etc.)  (Read 7535 times)
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« on: 04-Mar-11, 10:57:03 AM »

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/protect-research-bears-from-hunters-in-minnesota/

« Last Edit: 04-Mar-11, 05:44:41 PM by Kris G. » Logged

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04-Mar-11, 11:37:00 AM »

Kris, do you know how to put this on Facebook? It deserves a MASSIVE distribution!!! And my FB skills are poor... Anyone??
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 04-Mar-11, 12:09:03 PM »

I doubt that the members of the Minnesota legislature care what I have to say about this matter since their reelection does not depend on my vote.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04-Mar-11, 12:17:58 PM »

Kris, do you know how to put this on Facebook? It deserves a MASSIVE distribution!!! And my FB skills are poor... Anyone??

Bobbie, it's on fb already...the Lily site!

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04-Mar-11, 02:50:20 PM »

Thank you SO MUCH! I just want this to be out there as much as poss... I will check and spread the word!!! Can anyone imagine Hunters + Lily Site in the same sentence?!
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04-Mar-11, 02:51:21 PM »

Thank you SO MUCH! I just want this to be out there as much as poss... I will check and spread the word!!! Can anyone imagine Hunters + Lily Site in the same sentence?!

Everyone! Have you signed??!!!
rushhen06
Fledgling

Like Count: 17

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04-Mar-11, 03:03:52 PM »

Re petition.   I was involed with an on-line petition and when it was sent to the Gov. agency, they informed us that they do not honor on- line petitions.
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04-Mar-11, 03:05:28 PM »

Re petition.   I was involed with an on-line petition and when it was sent to the Gov. agency, they informed us that they do not honor on- line petitions.

Jeeeeeez!!!! How else are we going to voice our opinion??!!
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 04-Mar-11, 04:13:23 PM »

You can still voice your opinion using the petition. Unfortunately, if you want your opinion to count, you have to move to Minnesota and register to vote.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04-Mar-11, 04:44:22 PM »

Sorry to see negative posts about signing of this petition so I am posting some entries that I found on Lily and Hope's FB page. After reading this, I hope our members will realize that we can be a voice for these animals regardless of where we live.  Our petitions may or may not influence anyone but let's not say we didn't try. This is not about stopping the hunting of bears but the protection of research bears.

Feb.23, 2011

We tried to set up a meeting with the new commissioner, Tom Landwehr.  He has a good reputation, and his background with the Nature Conservancy suggests he has a broad view of resource management.  We had high hopes.  The only response we got was a call from an assistant saying he was too busy to meet with us.  We emailed and faxed a lot of material to him and to DNR staff members involved with the protection issue.  No response.

Tomorrow, the DNR has an internal meeting to discuss protection.  We don’t know what to think.  Will they consider the views of the general public?  Of Lily fans?  Will they recognize the values to science and education?  We don’t believe any of them have ever visited the North American Bear Center.  None of them have met these research bears.  The only public comments we’ve heard from officials were concerns that hunters would have to look twice to see collars, and what if a hunter didn’t notice a collar and shot the bear?  We are worried.  We want to think the best of those who manage the State’s wildlife.  We want to work cooperatively with them.  We also want to learn all we can about bears and share it with the public, schools, decision-makers, and the scientific community.  The research bears desperately need protection, considering how many have been lost since 2005.  Do they realize how serious this is?  We hope they do.

Feb. 28, 2011

We had sent the commissioner information showing that we study how bears live, not how they die.  So we were mystified why he would justify his decision by saying, “hunting is a function of their life cycle in a human-dominated landscape.”  Long ago we studied hunter-caused mortality, but studies evolve.  We now study behavior and ecology, and there is little we can learn about that from a dead bear.

The decision did not take into account that we can’t just take a collar off a dead bear, put it on another bear, and continue on.  Short-term data don’t cut it in studies that require long-term data, and replacing a bear that has learned to accept us takes years.

We couldn’t understand why deer hunters are asked to see a 3-inch antler before they shoot but it is too much to ask hunters to spare bears with an array of gawdy ribbons

Action is needed in the form of letters.  The main target is Representative Denny McNamara, Chair of the Environment and Natural Resources committee.  Any bill we introduce in the House would be introduced through his committee, and bills in that committee don’t get heard unless the Chair says so.   And he said he wouldn’t be interested in hearing a bill on the bears unless there is a public outcry.

Julia Attwood in the UK initiated an online petition in support of protection for radio-collared bears that already had over 1500 signatures at 6:33 PM CST—and will have many more by the time this update is finished (Sue is a slow editor…).  Amazing and much appreciated support from around the world!

Here is what one hunter wrote to Commissioner Landwehr:

“This morning, in the Hibbing Daily Tribune, I was appalled to read an AP story stating "Minn. DNR won't protect Radio-Collared Bears."  I must say this:  I don't recall any public statements prior to the will of the people.  It seems like a 'slam dunk' situation here??  

I have been viewing the efforts on line, of the Bear Center, and it seems that they have been in vain?  Would not a special (fluorescent colored) collar help in this situation?  Would not a plea to the hunters attract their attention and awareness?  

Has anyone in your dept., precisely yourself, made a REAL honest effort to sit down and give some time to biologist Lynn Rogers in discussion of this situation?  I personally, in reading daily updates from the Center, have not seen any positive discussion between your dept. and that of the Bear Center in Ely. Maybe I'm missing something here?  

I will not send a hard copy of this e-mail to your office because I feel it just isn't worth it.  The 'will of the people' seems to go upon deaf ears.  Sorry, but that is what is going through my mind and you'll soon be inundated with hundreds, if not thousands of letters and petitions, I would assume, not only from the good people of the Iron Range, but possibly the whole country and other countries as well.  This has become a high point of interest with several children, teachers, sportsmen and us 'older' folk who enjoy the efforts of this research and to view these creatures through our Internet sources.  

I am hopeful, that since I have written a previous e-mail and you promptly replied to it (thank you sir), you will just take a few minutes of your time and read this.  You will probably receive this before my 'hard-copy' sent Sat. is read.  

I end my attempts and do hope, in your better judgment, that you re-visit and research this particular situation a little more thoroughly.  I am only one.”

Finally, there was a radio interview with Lynn, one of the Biologists with the bear project and in the interview, he hit the following points:

There was no public input and no one had time to meet with him.  
The DNR decision didn’t take into account the value of these radio-collared bears to the 67 schools that are following them daily in Minnesota or over 500 schools following them nationwide.  
If one of these bears is killed, we can’t just put the collar on another bear and go forward, we have to start over, and it takes a long time to gain trust of the kind needed for gathering data.  
We are not studying how bears die; we are studying how they live.  
No consideration was given to the many people who are learning from these bears.  
The only thing that seemed to be considered was whether hunters should have to look twice for ribbons before shooting.
It is easier to see the ribbons than a 3-inch antler on a deer.  
The only thing that can make a difference for protection now is a public outcry with people calling their legislators.  
The interviewer asked how long Lynn has been studying bears (44 years, since early 1967).  He asked how many bears are radio-collared at this moment (9).  He asked about Lily and Hope.

« Last Edit: 04-Mar-11, 05:43:48 PM by Kris G. » Logged

Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05-Mar-11, 05:44:55 AM »

Any number of points to comment on here... but how about this one for starters?

The only public comments we’ve heard from officials were concerns that hunters would have to look twice to see collars, and what if a hunter didn’t notice a collar and shot the bear?

You are about to shoot something. And you don't see any reason to look twice to determine what it is??
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: 05-Mar-11, 09:37:42 AM »

We should take what politicians say publicly with a grain of salt. There's always a hidden agenda.

The mere fact that there needs to be a law to make the shooting of research bears illegal says to us that there are people out there who are ready and willing to shoot them, and these are the people who will oppose such a law. They will use whatever influence they have (read: money) to convince the politicians to not pass the bill. Of course the politicians will never publicly say that they will shoot down the bill because they need the money to get reelected and further their political ambitions. Instead, they will come up with some excuse like their concern for poor hunters who accidentally shoot research bears, or the rights of gun owners, blah, blah, blah.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05-Mar-11, 11:09:38 AM »

We should take what politicians say publicly with a grain of salt. There's always a hidden agenda.

The mere fact that there needs to be a law to make the shooting of research bears illegal says to us that there are people out there who are ready and willing to shoot them, and these are the people who will oppose such a law. They will use whatever influence they have (read: money) to convince the politicians to not pass the bill. Of course the politicians will never publicly say that they will shoot down the bill because they need the money to get reelected and further their political ambitions. Instead, they will come up with some excuse like their concern for poor hunters who accidentally shoot research bears, or the rights of gun owners, blah, blah, blah.

You said a mouthful....so true, so true! So sad!

Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 05-Mar-11, 03:23:59 PM »

I agree that where politicians are involved, hunters typically wield a lot of power, and their permit dollars and duck stamps do fund wildlife refuges and some conservation efforts, so that's not all bad.

However, the huge public outcry, both local and national, on the topic of the proposed Sandhill Crane hunt in Tennessee did cause the equivalent of their Fish & Wildlife commission to postpone the hunt for a few years pending more study...so there is a case where a public outcry did make a difference.

My Kentucky bird list folks are gearing up for a similar campaign in Kentucky...but I'll post that information in a separate thread.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06-Mar-11, 01:07:49 PM »

Here or I can has cheezburger thread?  OK...here feels more appropriate today...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: