THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 05:01:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Parrots and Spring: Love is in the air...  (Read 7950 times)
Mirta
Fledgling

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« on: 25-Sep-09, 10:31:32 PM »

Hi! Almost 40 burrowing parrots are visiting my neighborhood every morning, trying to burrow their nest in a brick wall. Those are pictures I have taken to show you how beautiful they are, and how spring fill with love their days  heart
They are very noisy, but I love them anyway.
Only I´m feeling a little  crazy Sunday´s morning at 0500 AM, when they start to shout...
Hope you enjoy them
Mirta
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 25-Sep-09, 10:56:23 PM »

OMG....how cute are they??? I think I would love waking up hearing them.....I think. confused0083
Thanks Mirta...great pics.

Donna

Wing Goose
Tiercel

Like Count: 37

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25-Sep-09, 11:01:33 PM »

Hi Mirta,  wave
The parrots are beautiful.  They look so cuddly.  Are they friendly or skittish if you come near them?  How many babies hatch in their clutch?  Thank you for sharing them.
Lola
 coolphotos

Lola
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25-Sep-09, 11:09:25 PM »

thanx for sharing the pics with us! 
                        Kris

valhalla
« Reply #4 on: 26-Sep-09, 04:59:28 AM »

thanks2 I only have a few cardinals and lots of sparrows left - everyone else has migrated, so this is a nice treat while I wait for the Eagles to return. eagle2
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26-Sep-09, 07:54:48 AM »

Hi! Almost 40 burrowing parrots are visiting my neighborhood every morning, trying to burrow their nest in a brick wall. Those are pictures I have taken to show you how beautiful they are, and how spring fill with love their days  heart
They are very noisy, but I love them anyway.
Only I´m feeling a little  crazy Sunday´s morning at 0500 AM, when they start to shout...
Hope you enjoy them
Mirta

Mirta, do the Parrots make the holes or are the holes already there? I remember Ei sent a pic of a bird nest in a wall..(hang on, let me find it)  stupid Ok, I uploaded the pic, which I think is  hysterical but I  heart that pic, (thanks Ei). Also, in your last pic, is that 2 adults or adult and baby? Hope you send more pics Mirta.
thanx

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26-Sep-09, 09:26:41 AM »

thanks2 I only have a few cardinals and lots of sparrows left - everyone else has migrated, so this is a nice treat while I wait for the Eagles to return. eagle2

I have Mourning Doves (LOTS AND LOTS), few Sparrows, few Goldfinches but my Downy Woodpeckers have returned to feed.
  clap

Helen in MD
Eyas

Like Count: 76

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26-Sep-09, 06:16:09 PM »

You should have doves, titmice, chickadees, house finch, goldfinch all visiting your feeders.  And robins are eating all the berries on my dogwoods plus a scarlet tanager has been visiting my birdbath.  And keep your hummingbird feeder up to feed and entice migrating birds.
valhalla
« Reply #8 on: 27-Sep-09, 07:25:51 AM »

You should have doves, titmice, chickadees, house finch, goldfinch all visiting your feeders.  And robins are eating all the berries on my dogwoods plus a scarlet tanager has been visiting my birdbath.  And keep your hummingbird feeder up to feed and entice migrating birds.

Thanks Helen!  hummer The hummingbird feeder is still up and will remain up until you tell me to take it down.  Seriously, all of the goldfinch are gone.  As for the house finch,  finch only a very small handfull remain and the titmice and chickadees are also in small numbers (I know they will grow soon).  I guess we are in a lull period.  Haven't seen a robin in weeks.  A squirrel is visiting my birdbath  happy
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27-Sep-09, 07:40:48 AM »

The Starlings are in full-bloom...yesterday I stepped out onto my front porch and directly across the street is a tree with little red berries. Well..I swear over 100 starlings flew out. It's an amazing sight and happens every year. Last year the trees around here didn't change colors until the end of Oct and we were raking in Nov. We are also blessed with those huge Black crows.  mini-bird. I think they are neat looking.

Mirta
Fledgling

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27-Sep-09, 08:13:18 AM »

Mirta, do the Parrots make the holes or are the holes already there? I remember Ei sent a pic of a bird nest in a wall..(hang on, let me find it)  stupid Ok, I uploaded the pic, which I think is  hysterical but I  heart that pic, (thanks Ei). Also, in your last pic, is that 2 adults or adult and baby? Hope you send more pics Mirta.
thanx
[/quote]

Nop, In that wall, they are trying to make bigger the preexistent holes, but they can´t. On natural cliffs they can, that is why the common name is burrowing parrots. Their nests are very deep and big, more than 1 meter deep.

Here we live at 180 km from the biggest parrot breeding colony on the world. There are more than 30,000 nest of burrowing parrots in about 12 km of cliffs. Youo can visit this link in english to know more aboout them : <http://www.orn.mpg.de/masello/PAGES/home-english2.html>
Most of the parrots here were born there, in El Condor Colony. It is an amazing sight when early in the morning or at sunset thousands of parrot are close of the nests! yes

Mirta 
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27-Sep-09, 08:25:44 AM »

Nop, In that wall, they are trying to make bigger the preexistent holes, but they can´t. On natural cliffs they can, that is why the common name is burrowing parrots. Their nests are very deep and big, more than 1 meter deep.

Here we live at 180 km from the biggest parrot breeding colony on the world. There are more than 30,000 nest of burrowing parrots in about 12 km of cliffs. Youo can visit this link in english to know more aboout them : <http://www.orn.mpg.de/masello/PAGES/home-english2.html>
Most of the parrots here were born there, in El Condor Colony. It is an amazing sight when early in the morning or at sunset thousands of parrot are close of the nests! yes

Since 1998, we have been conducting a study of the breeding biology of Burrowing Parrots at the largest and most important colony of this species. The colony is located west of the village El Cóndor (or Villa Marítima El Cóndor or Balneario Massini or La Boca), close to the Río Negro
Lighthouse (41º3'S 62º48'W), 30km southeast from Viedma, in the province of Río Negro, Patagonia, Argentina. The colony covers 12km of sandstone cliffs. The habitat in the surroundings of the colony is primarily Patagonian steppe.

During 2003, we finished counting the nests in the colony: we found 35000 active nests along the 12km of Atlantic coast. Remarkably, after an extensive literature review on parrots breeding biology, this population was found to be the largest known colony of Psittaciformes (parrots & cockatoos) in the world.

Thanks Mirta, good info there and I LOVE this pic.........so many, I'd be in heaven seeing that.

Mirta
Fledgling

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27-Sep-09, 09:08:02 AM »

Those are pictures I´ve taken from my house roof.
Thay are only just a part of the hundreds that fill our sky these days
 Smiley
Mirta
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27-Sep-09, 11:05:22 AM »

Wow!  They must be amazing to watch.  Burrowing parrots are called Patagonian Conures here and often kept as pets -- beautiful, but I have heard that if you have one, you don't need an alarm clock.  I've enjoyed watching wild parrot flocks in San Francisco, but the burrowing parrot colony must be incredible to experience.

Paul
« Last Edit: 27-Sep-09, 11:18:16 AM by Paul Hamilton » Logged
valhalla
« Reply #14 on: 28-Sep-09, 06:33:51 AM »

Thanks Mirta - Vey Cool!   cool-045
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: