THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 07:59:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 23   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jersey City  (Read 161368 times)
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: 18-May-13, 05:10:24 PM »

Food was brought in and the little chick was fed:

Looks as if he/she has a nice full crop:

I hope to hear good news of the little chick who is ill.

Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: 18-May-13, 05:25:20 PM »

Looks like both adults brought prey.  The new eyas has a bulging crop. See Allison's photo.

Updates are coming on Sunday.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 18-May-13, 07:43:49 PM »

That is so sweet that they've accepted it and are taking such good care of the little one.  Good decision!

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: 20-May-13, 08:48:10 PM »

That is so sweet that they've accepted it and are taking such good care of the little one.  Good decision!
I agree completely.

A new update on the site today:

May 20, 2013 - Morning Update

Staff, along with division volunteers and dedicated falcon observers Mike Girone and Bonnie Talluto, have been closely monitoring the webcam since the chick swap on Friday afternoon. While the chick transported to The Raptor Trust did not appear healthy, the Sea Isle City chick is behaving normally, feeding well and most importantly, has been accepted by the adults. Both adults are staying close to the nestbox, brooding the chick during the cool damp weekend and providing plenty of food. We're waiting for an update on the condition of the original chick, but it does appear to have some serious issues.

Hopefully the drama of the past week is behind us as we watch the new chick grow. We'll determine its sex the first week of June when biologists return to Jersey City to examine and band it. Meanwhile, we'll keep watching.

I am still hoping that The Raptor Trust will be able to help the little sick one.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 20-May-13, 08:58:46 PM »

This is great news and sad news, poor little one. Go Bonnie, glad your helping out.

Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: 20-May-13, 09:14:02 PM »

Should find out about the nestling soon, but poor nutrition early on is terrible.

William Blake
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 20-May-13, 11:03:55 PM »

I was just reading a post by Bonnie on BCAW that "Legs" from 2011 passed away last yr. He was the Pefa that had splayed legs, was never releasable and became an educational bird.  Sad to hear this.

AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: 24-May-13, 04:51:44 PM »

I was just reading a post by Bonnie on BCAW that "Legs" from 2011 passed away last yr. He was the Pefa that had splayed legs, was never releasable and became an educational bird.  Sad to hear this.
It is very sad that "Legs" had a short life. Poor little guy - he was a fighter, and tried his very best to survive.
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: 24-May-13, 04:55:43 PM »

Today's update from the site:

May 24, 2013 - Feeding and Growing

As we head into the Memorial Day Weekend things are going well in Jersey City.

The foster chick from the Sea Isle City nest is thriving as the sole focus of the adults' attention and care. Unlike the lone hatchling from the pair's clutch of four eggs, this chick is feeding enthusiastically, moving about and behaving normally.

Sadly, despite the efforts of staff at The Raptor Trust, the Jersey City chick was humanely euthanized due to its abnormalities, both physical and behavioral. We hope to determine its exact problem(s) post mortem.

Adult and new chick Unhealthy offspring and other obstacles to healthy populations of wildlife occur in nature - it's part of the scheme of things. With endangered wildlife, such as our New Jersey peregrines, biologists may intervene when possible in the interest of helping a species recover. Fortunately, circumstances allowed us to perform last week's "chick swap" to keep the Jersey City pair active and likely benefiting the Sea Isle pair with one less mouth to feed.

During the first week of June biologist will return to Jersey City for the annual chick banding - see the 2009 banding PDF (800kb) or PowerPoint version (18.5mb) for an overview of the procedure. We'll report back then, and sooner if anything noteworthy occurs. Meantime, assume no news is good news - and enjoy your peregrine viewing!

I have been watching the cam, and Athena and Six have been doing a great job of caring for their foster chick, who is being very well fed.

I am so sorry that the people at The Raptor Trust were not able to save the sick little one, but I do appreciate that they made the attempt.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 24-May-13, 05:03:13 PM »

So sad for the little one at Raptor Trust. I have been there, they are great people. Glad the replacement chick is doing well. Glad the parents have 1 to raise as their own! Thanks Alison.

Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: 05-Jun-13, 04:00:05 PM »

Got to attend the banding of the eyas this morning.  Enjoy!  NJ Fish&Wildlife and Conserve Wildlife Foundation of NJ desperately need a new cam here.  Donations are greatly appreciated.  Sorry, I don't mean to take money away from Rochester, however.

http://www.bonnietalluto.com

William Blake
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 05-Jun-13, 05:53:14 PM »

Great pics, Bonnie, and love the name-he's so cute! I'm glad that everything worked out well for all.  Athena and Six did a great job fostering this little one! Kudos to all!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 05-Jun-13, 06:38:34 PM »

The Boss is adorable! Fabulous pics as always Bonnie!!  clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: 05-Jun-13, 08:01:11 PM »

heart "The Boss", very cute name and great report Bonnie!!  wave

Bonnie
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: 14-Jun-13, 09:53:55 PM »

Big news to report.  The female we named Athena has been 99 percent verified as being 18 years old.  My friend Mike got enough band numbers to put with the other numbers we have to get enough of the band to get her banding place and year. 

She was hacked outside Maiden Creek, PA in 1995.  She has been in Jersey City since 2001 or so.

William Blake
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 ... 23   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: