THE FORUM

19-Mar-24, 02:09:14 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Not another one!  (Read 9896 times)
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 177

View Profile
« on: 01-Apr-11, 09:29:37 AM »

Just found this webcam of a California hummingbird - not sure which sp - from the Zen Birdfeeder. There seems to be a commercial - wha'? But wait til you see this little one!

http://wildbirdsunlimited.typepad.com/the_zen_birdfeeder/2011/03/hummingbird-nest-cam-2011.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+TheZenBirdfeeder+%28The+Zen+Birdfeeder%29
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01-Apr-11, 09:40:58 AM »

Seems if you let it run, the stupid commercial disappears... and she is feeding even littler ones!!! Ohhhhh, noooooo! ANOTHER one to be going on with. Glorious bird - what species, anyone?

Nice chirpy birdsong in the background too...

I think I might be sorry I did this...
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01-Apr-11, 09:58:22 AM »

Guys! You gotta watch this one! I don't know which is more beautiful - the birds or the nest they built.
Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 01-Apr-11, 10:12:50 AM »

Just found this webcam of a California hummingbird - not sure which sp

Hey Bobbie, thanks...

I think it's Anna's Hummingbird...there aren't that many hummers in California, and this one seems to match -- red throat patch on the female (if you catch her on camera at the right angle), black bill, no rufous coloration, white eyebrow.
Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 01-Apr-11, 10:19:20 AM »

Guys! You gotta watch this one! I don't know which is more beautiful - the birds or the nest they built.

Oh, and one more comment...in hummingbirds the females do ALL of the work, from nest building to brooding to feeding; the males only provide one thing and their job is done!  So your phrase "the nest they built" was overly generous to Mr. Anna's Hummingbird.  I'm amazed that a bird with such a high metabolism, who has to eat almost constantly, can feed herself and two young ones all alone!
« Last Edit: 01-Apr-11, 10:57:26 AM by Patti from Kentucky » Logged
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01-Apr-11, 10:28:20 AM »

Oh, and one more comment...in hummingbirds the females do ALL of the work, from nest building to brooding to feeding; the males only provide one thing and their job is done!  So your phrase "the nest they built" was overly generous to Mr. Anna's Hummingbird.  I'm amazing that a bird with such a high metabolism, who has to eat almost constantly, can feed herself and two young ones all alone!

I am PC run riot, Patti! Thanks for the info. I would love to be "Anna" and have this wonderful bird named after me. She is simply gorgeous. I was guessing I had seen both parents, but it was probably the angle. Her throat feathers are splendid - and that nest! Any info on that? The colouring is as beautiful as she is. Do you know what she uses? And what sort of plant is the nest in? I suppose I could google but it is more fun to chat to people who know!
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01-Apr-11, 10:33:29 AM »

Better pic of Hummingbird here...

WORLD OF HUMMINGBIRDS!

(WHAT have I done!?)
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01-Apr-11, 10:41:37 AM »

Nest info... very interesting, as it seems this is her THIRD brood of 2011! Does not mention species in this. So v happy the Patti did!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=131758716840583
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01-Apr-11, 10:43:46 AM »

hummer Those babies are precious Bobbie!  We are ALL addicts!!!  Grin @Patti I too am amazed that the females can keep up that pace. Nature is a wonder!!!   yes  Thanks to both of you for sharing knowledge and videos!   clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 01-Apr-11, 10:44:18 AM »

Oh, and one more comment...in hummingbirds the females do ALL of the work, from nest building to brooding to feeding; the males only provide one thing and their job is done!  So your phrase "the nest they built" was overly generous to Mr. Anna's Hummingbird.  I'm amazeding that a bird with such a high metabolism, who has to eat almost constantly, can feed herself and two young ones all alone!

I am PC run riot, Patti! Thanks for the info. I would love to be "Anna" and have this wonderful bird named after me. She is simply gorgeous. I was guessing I had seen both parents, but it was probably the angle. Her throat feathers are splendid - and that nest! Any info on that? The colouring is as beautiful as she is. Do you know what she uses? And what sort of plant is the nest in? I suppose I could google but it is more fun to chat to people who know!

Corrected my typo above...I really need to slow down!  I thought I knew the answer, but needed to look it up to make sure.  They use plant down, held together with spider silk, and then decorated on the outside.  Here's a pretty good link: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Annas_Hummingbird/lifehistory

Had you seen the male Anna's Hummingbird your eyes would have fallen out of your head, so it's probably good that you didn't.
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01-Apr-11, 10:55:26 AM »

Thank you so much, Patti - suffice to say - I am in love! Again!

I will google that info you sent... If I love HER, what will happen when I see HIM? (The lazy lad!)
Bobbie Ireland
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01-Apr-11, 10:58:59 AM »

Wow! But... Glam as he is - "Handsome is as handsome does!" She is simply so subtly beautiful with those throat feathers... and her matching nest! I am undone!
Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 01-Apr-11, 07:16:39 PM »

I just caught a feeding...and it looked like she has three little ones in there!  I thought two was usually the limit for hummers, but perhaps I'm wrong.  Hopefully she's in her prime and the California bugs and nectar are plentiful!
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01-Apr-11, 07:24:00 PM »

I just caught a feeding...and it looked like she has three little ones in there!  I thought two was usually the limit for hummers, but perhaps I'm wrong.  Hopefully she's in her prime and the California bugs and nectar are plentiful!

The one with 3 in the nest has a foster baby.  Someone accidentally cut down the branch with the nest & a rehabber took it to this nest since they had tiny ones.  I'll find the FB page in a bit...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01-Apr-11, 11:19:46 PM »

The one with 3 in the nest has a foster baby.  Someone accidentally cut down the branch with the nest & a rehabber took it to this nest since they had tiny ones.  I'll find the FB page in a bit...

Facebook page for Emma the hummingbird

And a blog OurHummingbirdNest with more of the story

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: