THE FORUM

27-Apr-24, 03:06:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 ... 206   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest and Kendal - Toronto/Don Mills  (Read 1321176 times)
Wing Goose
Tiercel

Like Count: 37

View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: 15-Jul-11, 05:19:23 PM »

Date night for Quest and Kendal !  Great. 
Yes, there were perfect baby sitters available.
            good post
             Lola

Quest and Kendal must be having their romantic date night out last night wub2 They should have brought in a baby sitter to help watch over Harlie ...

Wait... Quest and Kendal knew they have sitters, our fledge watch friends  2thumbsup, who better to left Baby Harlie to. The watchers for sure would make sure Harlie is safe and sound.  happy

Lola
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: 15-Jul-11, 07:42:29 PM »

!!! Intense fledge watch is no longer needed. Baby H is out of the woods as we say!!! BUT, the best is yet to come!!
July 15, 2011 - Toronto - Don Mills
Mark Nash Reports:
July 15th - 2011

A quickly update on Baby H’s progress.
Given her incredible progress and strong flight skills thus far, there it is not likely that baby Harlequin will come to the ground and in need of rescue. She has clearly mastered basic flight skills and holding her altitude has not been a problem at all. In fact, she has been able to far exceed the height of all of the surrounding buildings in the neighbourhood and has learned to land without the use of a concrete backstop :-))
With a few bumps and grinds along the way, it is not likely that she will be making any more contact with windows or solid concrete walls any time too soon. Quest and Kendal are giving her their undivided attention all day long,, - (well at least when Quest is not nagging Kendal and he’s not hiding out over at the Westin hotel) 

Intense monitoring is no longer needed, and for the most parts, its up to Quest and Kendal to teach her the ropes so to speak. While monitoring will continue, a dawn to dusk monitoring effort will not be necessary and we can back off. I would still encourage everyone to keep their eyes to the skies, as the best part of the process is about to begin!

As the parents increase their daily training of Baby H, the aerial displays are going to be fantastic to watch. Baby H has allot to learn to prepare her for all of the life skills that she will need for a long migration south come September. She will migrate alone in the fall without her parents.

Quest and Kendal will likely stay and winter over on or close to the nest site - (or at least hopefully in their “Don Mills territory”). Historically, most all of the “urban nesting adults” here in southern Ontario stay on territory all year-round, and never leave. The juveniles are still heavily influenced by the instinct to migrate south. The urban adults have learned to adopt and hold on to their established territories all year long.
In contrast, most ALL of Ontario’s peregrine population, including both the adults and juveniles migrate south for the winter. Only the “urban adults” stay.
Please keep watching as we welcome any and all observation reports that we can continue to post, as Baby H has a huge following, and we’re all interested to know how she doing!!

Sadly, we must divert all available mobile resources that can help - to one final fledge watch that is in need of our assistance out at the Brampton Courthouse where one young hatchling is about to take her first flights. As always, we are still available 24/7 on our mobile phones for any emergencies.

I can’t express my gratitude enough to Donna, Melanie, Patricia and all of the wonderful people at Harlequin who have opened their doors and hearts for us and the birds . To the building management of 220 Duncan Mill Rd, their board of directors, tenants and security staff for your support and understanding,, and to all of the CPF fledge watch team and community members that been there for both the CPF and the peregrines, you to be commended for your support.

Finally, last but not least, to the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and the Aurora district staff that have gone way above the call of duty, before, during and after hours to support us all!

How could we ever fail with such a great team!!!!

In the next few days, I promise that we will get the missing field notes and incredible pictures posted that we are so behind on, so stay tuned for some incredible photos and further updated news of the happenings to follow in the days to come.

Stay tuned…………….

margaret
Falcon

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: 15-Jul-11, 10:16:04 PM »

This was a wonderful report to read from Mark Nash.    Hopefully, we can track this beautiful little family for time to come...even if Quest's transmitter soon falls off.    And with Harlie's celeb status, perhaps others will notice her!
valhalla
« Reply #1398 on: 16-Jul-11, 06:32:48 AM »

2thumbsup
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: 16-Jul-11, 07:12:37 AM »

Toronto Don Mills - Harlequin finding Kendals food on buildings
July 15, 2011 - Toronto - Don Mills
Ann Brokelman Reports:

4:30pm  at the falcon watch Harlequin was on the side of  220 building with Quest just below her. Quest flew towards the valley. Harlequin within a few minutes also flew off - she went to the front of 220 and did a circle around it landing briefly on 240.  She returned to the same spot on 220 with food.  Small package.

She took off again and went around 220 and somehow landed up on top of 250 building.  She was wandering around the top when we noticed she had a large package of food.  She tore out feathers, and ate her fill.  Crop full. She flew off again and landed on the H on the Harlequin Building.

In the distance Bruce and I saw both kendal and quest soaring together.  They were a long distance away.   When Carol and I left Harlie was sitting on the back of 250 building with Bruce watching.

Toronto - Don Mills - Little Harlie clearly seen on ledge
June 26, 2011 - Toronto - Don Mills
Ann Brokelman Reports:

June 26

Stopped by today from 2:30pm to 3″45pm.
Very little activity. Little Harlie came to the front of the ledge a couple of times, see photos.
Quest was crying for Kendal
Kendal was sitting on the NE side of the building preening himself
Quest started to preen also
Little harlie took a nap.

What a beautiful baby.

« Last Edit: 16-Jul-11, 09:30:51 AM by Shaky » Logged

nwfloridafalconfan
Juvie

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: 16-Jul-11, 10:20:02 AM »

Nest Box Visitor right now? (9:19 AM CDT)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: 16-Jul-11, 02:03:44 PM »

Cam friendly "BUG"!

Braveheart2665
Juvie

Like Count: 18

Freyja Always in my Heart

View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: 17-Jul-11, 09:04:35 AM »

She's so beautiful  wub2

Follow me at Thebraveheartfiles.blogspot.com
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: 17-Jul-11, 04:55:52 PM »

Toronto Don Mills - Excitement On Thales Bldg
July 17, 2011 - Toronto - Don Mills
Ann Brokelman Reports:

From Barb and Ken Rippon (thank you Barb for reporing your sightings)
I just got back from my walk - had my coffee at Harlequin and looked around but didn’t see a sign of the falcons or anyone else.  I figured it was too hot for them and left.
When I got to the Thales bldg. on Moatfield Drive I heard them screaming above and there they were swooping, darting and playing.  I gather it was Harlie on Quest’s tale going like the wind maybe looking for a food transfer.  Then Kendal (it must have been him) arrived and the three of them put on a wonderful display of acrobatics in the air for maybe five minutes.  They were well up there but I could easily hear them and see them.
After that Quest and Harlie took off in the direction of The Westin Prince (good taste) and Kendal headed east and all was quiet.  The whole thing was quite exciting.

Ann Brokelman report

Arrived at 11:30 am and saw Harlequin on 240 building resting.  He was on the west side 4 ledges from back and 2nd from the top.  No sign of Quest or Kendal.  Just missed all the action that Barb and Ken saw.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: 17-Jul-11, 08:09:25 PM »

thanx

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: 18-Jul-11, 03:02:34 PM »

Queest, Kendal and Baby H looking to take a room at the Westin hotel?
July 16, 2011 - Toronto - Don Mills
Bruce Massey Reports:

Saturday July 16th - 2011 Updated Report
Because of the High heat & humidity I went home for a few hours. I arrived @ the Don Mills site a little after 1700 Hrs. There was nothing visible in the immediate area of the Nest Building so I went on a walk about. I found 2 Falcons on the Westin Hotel and as I somehow had a feeling the 2 birds turned out to be Quest & Harley. As I was walking South on Don Mills, there was a lull in the traffic and I could hear Harley screaming @ that Distance.
It was at that time I decided to approach Staff @ the Hotel & introduce myself. I spoke to the Chief of Security
Took him outside, showed him the Birds, and Harley even gave a demo of the unsolicited Wake up call a few of the guests may get @ 0500 Hrs if Harley decides to spend the night. Around 1900 Hrs Harley did a beautiful flat Glide back to the area of the Nest Building and I found her on the North East corner of the Harlequin Building. After around 1/2 an hour she flew over and finished the portion of meat she had found yesterday. After another 1/2 hour she headed back in the direction of the hotel, but soon returned to the Nest Building area noisily chasing Quest. They circled the buildings several times and Harley was on the North East corner of 240, Quest on the West Side of the same Building. About 15 Minutes later Harley announced her presence on the North West corner of 255.

No sign of Kendall until I just started typing that in. He appeared on roof of Harlequin with Food, Quest chastised him and as he flew North he was pursued by Harley. After things had quieted down, no sign of Kendall, Harley eating on the top North West Ledge of 240. And Quest on North Face of Harlequin.

Thanx Bruce
Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

Baby H is doing very well indeed!
July 16, 2011 - Toronto - Don Mills
Bruce Massey Reports:

Saturday July 16th - 2011

MidDay Report:

Arrived @ around 1400 Hrs. Harley was briefly on the West side of 240 Duncan Mills & then flew over to the East side of 220. Thirty or forty five minutes later Quest flew in from the West and landed on the same side as Harley. Caroline dropped by and then both the birds disappeared in about 30 seconds as we were catching up with what had happened over the Day.

Anne covered the next hours in her Update (See “Harley Finding”). About the only thing I would add is that it was about 2.5 Hours before Quest came back. During this time Harley amused herself by flying around the 4 main buildings. I must say that she definitely has a smart head on her shoulders, she doesn’t force a landing, if she can’t make it, she will abort and try again.

To illustrate the above point, at the end of those 2.5 Hrs Mom brought in some food and landed on the Nest Building’s. SE Corner. Harley, attempted to land, was unsuccessful and recovered and landed just North at the same level. After watching her mom eat in front of her, she figured she had to fly out over the street to make a successful landing to be fed by Mom.

Again Mom disappeared between the Harlequin & 255 Duncan. After a momentary lapse in concentration, Harley also dissappeared. Given, that she seemed to be prone to following her parents I went in Southerly Direction. I found a bird over on the East side of the Westin and in taking a short cut to the rear of the Westin Property I determined it was Quest. I had a moment when I heard several Robins Alarm calling. It might have been “GROUND HOGZILLA” (A 20-25 Lb Ground Hog) that was in the Vicinity. However, once I got to the rear of the Westin & looked to the SW facade of the Thales Building I found Harley at the Top Roof Level. After I went back to tell Caroline where she was and Mark and Marion arrived we set up to watch if she returned, or attempted to fly to the Westin Hotel. We also @ one point also saw Kendal join Quest on the Hotel. She eventually did fly back to the vicinity of the Nest Building. Mom followed soon after, and I left soon after that.
Bruce

Sent from my BlackBerry device on the Rogers Wireless Network

Everyone still visible and on territory.
July 17, 2011 - Toronto - Don Mills
CPF Postmaster Reports:

Sunday July 17th - 2011
Dropped in at 7:30 pm and left at 8:15 pm.
When I arrived there was either Kendal or Baby H. on the north-west corner on top of the Harlequin building. He/she moved next door and stood on the south-east top corner, flew around with Quest and then out of sight. Quest landed on the 255 and stayed there.

When I left, Quest was at the north-east corner – top railing at 255 Duncan mill, looking south. She had her antenna and no ruffled feathers as we have seen in the last few days.
Caroline Luce.

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: 18-Jul-11, 03:39:13 PM »

Harlie is certainly making great strides in growing up. Thanks for the updates!  heart heart heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1407 on: 18-Jul-11, 04:48:07 PM »

I was wondering about the antenna.  I guess we will know when it falls off.  What a precocious child Harlie is.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wings”
William Blake
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: 18-Jul-11, 07:59:44 PM »

Maybe Harlie, just now. 7:57pm

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: 18-Jul-11, 10:22:20 PM »

Toronto Don Mills - Harlie screaming to be heard
July 18, 2011 - Toronto - Don Mills
Ann Brokelman Reports:

Report by Ken and Barb Rippon

Ken and I had just parked the car in the side lot at 7:50 p.m. tonight and around the corner (I gather from the roof top) came Harlie, screaming her head off.  She tried to land on a window ledge of 245 (the coppery bldg.), but there was no ledge there, so she managed somehow to turn and keep going  to the corner of 240, where she seemed content.
No sign of Kendal and Quest - I guess out hunting.
Barb

Pages: 1 ... 90 91 92 93 [94] 95 96 97 98 ... 206   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: