THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 05:51:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 203 204 [205] 206   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest and Kendal - Toronto/Don Mills  (Read 1309478 times)
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #3060 on: 04-Jun-14, 07:33:37 AM »

Is there any further word on Kendall and how he is recuperating? It's as if he's been completely forgotten these days, and that's sad.

Dot in PA

He's not forgotten.  OWL Foundation doesn't publicly make statements about any of their birds in rehab - they focus on the birds recovery so you don't hear much until a bird is ready for release. I'm sure MNR are kept up to date as to his progress and would forward any significant info onto CPF as deemed appropriate.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: 04-Jun-14, 07:35:47 AM »

Is there any further word on Kendall and how he is recuperating? It's as if he's been completely forgotten these days, and that's sad.

Dot in PA

We don't hear much on Kendal but from last report, he is doing well in a bigger flight cage but still has a long recovery. As far as being released, that's up in the air right now! He had some severe damage and even if he was released, not sure if he could defend himself. That's all I know for now. I don't know why things are kept hush hush with falcons!!

He will NEVER be forgotten, we love Kendal!!

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3062 on: 04-Jun-14, 08:11:07 AM »

I don't know why things are kept hush hush with falcons!!

Because there are people in this world with more money than sense. They want to own a falcon and keep it in a gold cage. They will pay poachers $$$$$ to nab one or two for breeding, or just steal eggs from a known unmonitored scrape.

Because there are nut jobs who think it would be fun to shoot a falcon.

Because there are people who go cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs whenever a falcon is spotted nearby and rush out to see it without regard for themselves, their fellow motorists, pedestrians, property owners, etc.
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: 04-Jun-14, 08:54:58 AM »

Thank you all for your answers to my question about Kendall's recovery. Now I understand why information is not given out freely to protect the falcons.

Dot in PA
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: 04-Jun-14, 09:09:21 AM »

Dot in PA

Dot, you know I haven't forgotten him, as we both light candles for him every day. How about more of you light some candles for Kendal-here's the link if you would like to.

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=Q%26K

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: 04-Jun-14, 09:15:33 PM »

Because there are people in this world with more money than sense. They want to own a falcon and keep it in a gold cage. They will pay poachers $$$$$ to nab one or two for breeding, or just steal eggs from a known unmonitored scrape.

Because there are people who go cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs whenever a falcon is spotted nearby and rush out to see it without regard for themselves, their fellow motorists, pedestrians, property owners, etc.

No, I understand that part, it's just nice to have updates on the injured ones...like with Beauty, Mariah, Jemison etc. That can't hurt! They have FANS!!!!

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3066 on: 04-Jun-14, 10:40:19 PM »

No, I understand that part, it's just nice to have updates on the injured ones...like with Beauty, Mariah, Jemison etc. That can't hurt! They have FANS!!!!

The probably don't have a way to report it publicly.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: 04-Jun-14, 11:07:12 PM »

The probably don't have a way to report it publicly.

They can hire my big mouth!!

Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: 23-Dec-14, 08:55:53 AM »

Someone had offered a while back to contact Mr. Nash for a Kendal update. I never saw any such update but recently one of the posters mentioned that Kendal is not releasable. I feel so sorry for a wild falcon who has tasted the adult life flying free in the sky but is now stuck in a cage somewhere. Why are there never updates???? I personally think that's very wrong and very unfair!

Dot in PA
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: 23-Dec-14, 09:10:33 AM »

Someone had offered a while back to contact Mr. Nash for a Kendal update. I never saw any such update but recently one of the posters mentioned that Kendal is not releasable. I feel so sorry for a wild falcon who has tasted the adult life flying free in the sky but is now stuck in a cage somewhere. Why are there never updates???? I personally think that's very wrong and very unfair!

Dot in PA

As much as we don't like having updates, Kendal is not in the direct care of CPF so Mark Nash does not have direct access to reports on him.

I'm not even sure where he is at the moment. He was initially in the care of the Toronto Wildlife Centre for his acute injuries, but he was transferred to rehab care at a later point.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: 23-Dec-14, 09:25:17 AM »

Dot in PA

As much as we don't like having updates, Kendal is not in the direct care of CPF so Mark Nash does not have direct access to reports on him.

I'm not even sure where he is at the moment. He was initially in the care of the Toronto Wildlife Centre for his acute injuries, but he was transferred to rehab care at a later point.

Carly posted on BCAW a few days ago that friends of hers went to OWL (must be Ontario Wildlife?) where Kendal is and were told they are looking for a home to place him in due to his not being able to be released.  His wing injury must have been too severe to heal properly..so sad for him.

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: 23-Dec-14, 09:33:28 AM »

Dot in PA

Carly posted on BCAW a few days ago that friends of hers went to OWL (must be Ontario Wildlife?) where Kendal is and were told they are looking for a home to place him in due to his not being able to be released.  His wing injury must have been too severe to heal properly..so sad for him.

I did contact Mark about Kendal's condition and asked if he could post an update on CPF, that we could share with everyone, when he had a chance.  I let him know that Kendal had many fans here in Rochester.

The updates we had on Mariah, Jemison, and Beauty were given to us directly from the DEC.  This is a whole different situation.

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: 23-Dec-14, 10:15:54 AM »

I mean really, why are things with Falcons so secretive??? I can see where they nest if there are no cams but in a rehab??? People care and would like to know once in a while. I was being informed about Kendal from a reliable source but was told "not to say anything", so I didn't. It killed me to keep it in but I did! Now that it's out, I feel awful and sick that he can never be released because he will be too weak to fight off intruders! Poor Kendal!!

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: 23-Dec-14, 01:20:29 PM »

Hiya, sorry was out getting groceries this morning and just got home.  Kendal is currently at OWL Foundation, they specialize in owl rehabilitation but do take other raptors as well.  I never knew if it was spelt O.W.L. - in other words an acronym for something else or was it OWL.  Checked their website and it is officially OWL Foundation.  Here is a link to them:  http://www.theowlfoundation.ca/

I think many people have been perplexed about the lack of updates on Kendal, myself included.  His situation was complicated by the fact that he was being cared for by 3 different organizations and of course as he was injured - it's the MNR (our version of DNR) that in a sense has 'ownership' of him.  Sadly they don't do updates because they are also responsible for many other species care as well.

I also think there was a lot of hope behind the scenes that Kendal would be releasable.  It's not always easy to tell how a bird will heal especially with his type of injury.  That being said - many of us heard tidbits here and there but were unsure how to proceed with the info and I finally just decided what the heck - I had friends go visit there last week and ask and I figured since the information was freely given to them, it must be okay to say so publicly.

I'm sorry I didn't come here and share it, it was a spur of the moment thing on my part as I really felt badly for all the fans of his who so desperately have wanted to hear something, anything about him.  anyway with everything else that's happened the past week in the falcon world with Chesapeake, Skye, then BB - I forgot to relay the news here as my mind was going a mile a minute.  My sincere apologies, I know how much he means to all of you.
« Last Edit: 23-Dec-14, 01:29:47 PM by carly » Logged
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: 23-Dec-14, 02:21:29 PM »

Thanks for the update at last even though it is terrible news for us and especially Kendal. Given a choice, I would prefer euthanasia for an adult falcon that has previously won a mate and produced offspring and therefore knows the kind of productive life he should be living.

Dot in PA
Pages: 1 ... 201 202 203 204 [205] 206   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: