THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 06:31:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 204 205 [206]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Quest and Kendal - Toronto/Don Mills  (Read 1309487 times)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #3075 on: 23-Dec-14, 02:41:04 PM »

Thanks for the update at last even though it is terrible news for us and especially Kendal. Given a choice, I would prefer euthanasia for an adult falcon that has previously won a mate and produced offspring and therefore knows the kind of productive life he should be living.

Dot in PA

Dot, since everyone else is coming forward with information I will report mine as well. I've wanted to tell you for a long time since you and I have been lighting candles daily for Kendal all this time, but I was sworn to secrecy.  My Canadian source saw the ex-rays of Kendal's severe injuries and actually told me that our beloved Kendal should have been euthanized. He was put through a lot of rehab only to not fly free again... kleenex heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: 23-Dec-14, 02:48:11 PM »

Thanks for the update at last even though it is terrible news for us and especially Kendal. Given a choice, I would prefer euthanasia for an adult falcon that has previously won a mate and produced offspring and therefore knows the kind of productive life he should be living.

Dot in PA

You're welcome Dot. Please keep in mind who the update is coming from, I'm in no way working for any 'official' organization that knows the details of what kind of future Kendal is facing. I'm a falcon fan like yourself.  I just happened to know some people that were going to one of the places that I had heard was involved with him along his journey and asked them to ask for me how is he really doing as I had heard several different things and wasn't sure what was accurate and what wasn't.

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: 23-Dec-14, 03:07:08 PM »

MAK, my reason for not saying anything was because one day I heard what you just posted and then next month he was being released and then I heard nothing...so I realized that rather than put false info out there as I wasn't in 'the know', it was better to publicly keep silent.

I can't speak for anyone else but I'd like to think that it wasn't a case of wanting to keep secrets, it was more of a 'too many cooks in the kitchen' scenario.  One of the things we sorely lack in the GTA is a rehabilitation center dedicated to our beloved peregrines.  Most of the wildlife agencies have to deal on a daily basis with anything from possums, squirrels, geese, raccoons, foxes, peregrines, hawks, sparrows, etc.  They are all non profit so they are constantly struggling with money and resource issues so they are really on a daily basis reacting to do what is best for all the species that come through the door.  None of them are equipped to provide end to end care, in other words you bring Kendal in the door in one place and he stays there throughout his recovery and rehabilitation and when it's done, then a decision is made on his future.  Right now it's we can help get him to Point A, then we have to send him elsewhere to move him to Point B and then if he gets there he can move on to Point C - which is again another place. So it's really something we up here lack and wish we had.  

I know down there you guys at least have the option available to you to send them out of state if required, as was done in Mariahs' case.  As far as I know, that has never been an option here.  Perhaps if it was, more could be done in serious cases?  That's not a knock to the agencies up here but from what I've read, the U.S. has made some great strides in raptor care, - including surgeries that fix exactly the injury that I heard Kendal had. 
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: 23-Dec-14, 07:36:34 PM »

I believe that if the powers to be, whether it be Canada or the US, could update more often then it would quell any misinformation and keep people from getting so anxious and impatient for news. Just my opinion...
falala

-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: 24-Dec-14, 07:57:37 AM »

"I know down there you guys at least have the option available to you to send them out of state if required, as was done in Mariahs' case.  As far as I know, that has never been an option here.  Perhaps if it was, more could be done in serious cases?  That's not a knock to the agencies up here but from what I've read, the U.S. has made some great strides in raptor care, - including surgeries that fix exactly the injury that I heard Kendal had."

In Mariah's case, Brian and I brought her to Gary, a local rehabber (Black Creek Wildlife Station) because no one else was available to take her on that Easter Sunday.  We were very thankful to Terry at Wild Wings for opening the doors for us to bring her there and providing Quail for her.  No one else would take her and we were desperate to get her the care she needed.  I really thought she was going to die.  So many miracles happened that day, including Gary being home and a veterinarian being available to make a house call.

After a few days, the DEC chose to move her to their rehabber, for further care.  That rehabber was also located within New York State.  She was never moved out of state.  

Our DEC contact back then was Mike Allen and he was very willing to send updates to us and even sent pics for us to share.

In Kendal's case, I heard bits and pieces, but never any detail about what was going on or how extensive his injuries were, until now.  I did hear that they were planning to release him, but had to reevaluate his condition.

I truly hope that they find a wonderful home for him!   pray
« Last Edit: 24-Dec-14, 08:03:55 AM by Carol P. » Logged

Peregrines know no borders.....
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: 24-Dec-14, 08:01:43 AM »

Thanks for setting me straight Carol, I thought they sent her out of state - probably getting my falcons mixed up  stupid.  At least there was somewhere to send her and what a great job everyone did!  

I don't think the agencies up here are really aware of the kind of following the faclons have.  Whenever I meet someone new up here and tell them that people as far as Europe watch our cams, they really seem shocked and incredulous to hear that. 
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: 24-Dec-14, 08:06:52 AM »

You're welcome Carly!  The Canadian Peregrine Foundation and all their volunteers do a wonderful job of caring for the Peregrines up there!   clap 2thumbsup notworthy

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: 04-Dec-16, 04:19:51 PM »

https://vimeo.com/181975968  Check this out guys!! It's Kendal!! (VIDEO)

Thanks to Ann and MAK for posting this!!  wub2 wub2 heart heart  He looks great and doing well as an educational falcon!!  angel

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: 04-Dec-16, 05:25:30 PM »

heart heart heart  He's so handsome!  wub2 wub2 wub2
« Last Edit: 04-Dec-16, 05:30:31 PM by carly » Logged
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: 04-Dec-16, 07:37:46 PM »

Kendall  heart heart heart heart

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: 04-Dec-16, 08:24:25 PM »

He's looking great isn't he!? It was so nice to see him!!  heart

-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: 04-Dec-16, 09:19:56 PM »

So nice to see him!  wub2

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: 05-Dec-16, 02:13:34 AM »

Thank you for posting this, Donna! Kendal looks wonderful and very handsome. It's so good to know that he is doing well.  heart  heart  heart
Dot_Forrester
Tiercel

Like Count: 50

View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: 05-Dec-16, 07:20:48 AM »

It was a great and wonderful surprise to see Kendal looking so healthy and handsome. heart But I always wonder if an adult falcon who has tasted the freedom of the skies and has raised a family misses his natural life in the wild. Nobody can answer that, I know, so with great hope I wish Kendal the very best as an education bird. wub2

Dot in PA
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: 05-Dec-16, 08:32:17 AM »

Wow, look at Kendal hangin' with Justin Trudeau!  Two handsome guys!  

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 204 205 [206]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: