THE FORUM

22-Oct-24, 02:36:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two falcons shot in Oakland, state game wardens looking for suspects  (Read 26617 times)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 07-Dec-12, 10:18:53 PM »

clap  A sweet ending for this Peregrine!   

heart   S2  heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 07-Dec-12, 10:33:03 PM »

Another update on Haya this evening:

Sortie

Before dawn, Haya moved from her downtown Richmond hangout to the Richmond cranes near the yacht harbor; a flight of about one and a half miles. This is interesting in part because the flight is one of a pretty good distance, and in part because it is a known peregrine territory (non-breeding) occupied by one of the 2010 PG&E young, “Ari”, and his sweetheart from the far north (we assume since she evaporates each spring) known as “Smudge.” At about dawn, Smudge came in to defend her territory and engaged Haya in an aerial combat of sorts. There was some rolling with feet extended before Haya left the area and returned to her downtown haunts.

Jim and several of the Canyoneers (Mary, Ann & Cheryl) witnessed the altercation, and later saw Haya ALMOST take another pigeon from the air. All of these observations by dedicated volunteers are heartening to all of us who know of Haya’s history. And we should emphasize that these observations are possible because of Jim’s foresight to generously donate a radio telemetry transmitter–a transmitter that we (Predatory Bird Research Group donors) WILL replace for Jim.

Looking ahead, the addition of radio telemetry tracking for selected rehabilitated raptors at release could be something to seriously consider. It takes a little bit of money and a serious commitment by volunteer observers as we have seen occur this week. We will discuss it among other topics at the clinic to be kindly hosted by the Alexander Lindsay Museum on January 26. For more information see the California Council of Wildlife Rehabilitators site.

http://stewartfalcon.wordpress.com/author/stewartfalcon/
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 10-Dec-12, 03:54:39 PM »

Today's Haya update!   christhumbs

http://stewartfalcon.wordpress.com/2012/12/10/haya-prediction/

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 10-Dec-12, 05:30:29 PM »

What an awesome girl she is! Thanks

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 10-Dec-12, 06:21:54 PM »

bravo  Gotta love the happy endings!  yes

-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 10-Dec-12, 08:23:28 PM »

It is so great to see Haya with a full crop and doing so well on her return to the wild. May she continue to stay safe and thrive.

I can't help thinking that S2 should have been soaring the skies as Haya is . . .
carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11-Dec-12, 07:47:35 PM »

Just posted over at BCAW!

Haya, The Saga Continues
by stewartfalcon

On her eighth day in the wild, this shot & recovered falcon decided to leave her local area and fly straight to her old nesting territory at the Fruitvale Avenue Railroad drawbridge spanning the narrow waterway separating Oakland from Alameda. Upon her arrival, she was summarily beaten by the new resident female and driven into the water below the bridge. She swam to shore. Jim picked her up and transported her to the Alexander Lindsay Museum veterinary hospital where she had a check-up, and now she is back in her mews eating and healing.

Jim plans to release her again on Saturday at downtown Richmond.

It was not unexpected that Haya would return to her territory. There is plenty of information on nest site tenacity. Tundra peregrines migrate 10,000 miles to South America and 10,000 miles back only to re-claim last year's nesting territory. The California condors that were trapped in the mid-80s for breeding and then released twenty years later returned to the same perches they had enjoyed decades earlier. Peregrine falcons that are trapped and moved hundreds of miles from Southern California eyries to protect least tern and snowy plover colonies--return sooner than the drivers who transport them.

We cannot do anything to protect a rehabilitated raptor from intra-specific mayhem. Should we keep Haya in captivity to protect her from harm? Heck no! She and other rehabilitated raptors need to work these things out on their own. But we are getting a peek into the true needs, results, and ramifications of doing wildlife rehabilitation, aren't we? There are many steps; many variables.

For perspective on what may be next, it is probably useful to reference our recent experience with the tiercel peregrine, "EC" at the San Jose City Hall territory. He was driven from his territory by a new male. EC knew that he had been bested by the intruder and retired from his duties as a breeding male. He turned over territory ownership to the new bird.

EC's experience is a sample of one, but since I am making predictions this week, I think it is likely that Haya too has learned from her experience at the Fruitvale Bridge. Her former territory is occupied by a new falcon. She will make a choice and it is our job to give her a chance to make that choice. There is a good chance that she will step back as EC did and avoid further confrontations.

Personal survival trumps even reproduction as a motivator.
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 11-Dec-12, 07:51:03 PM »

I was just posting this too-also saw it on BCAW.  Hopefully she learned a lesson and will move on to another area.

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 11-Dec-12, 07:53:52 PM »

I was just posting this too-also saw it on BCAW.  Hopefully she learned a lesson and will move on to another area.

The positive side - it's not breeding season so she's not hopped on hormones and will have a clear mind to determine she likes being free more than being in rehab - I hope  confused.  So happy they were watching out for her and were there to rescue her again.  handshake
AlisonL
Falcon

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 11-Dec-12, 07:57:39 PM »

I think it was a good decision to provide Haya with a tail-mounted transmitter when she was released. Otherwise, the outcome today might have been different. I'm glad she is safe and being well cared for until she is ready for release again.
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 11-Dec-12, 07:59:04 PM »

I think it was a good decision to provide Haya with a tail-mounted transmitter when she was released. Otherwise, the outcome today might have been different. I'm glad she is safe and being well cared for until she is ready for release again.

I agree, that was good planning  wave
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 11-Dec-12, 08:03:41 PM »

Wow, that's amazing! Lesson learned, I hope. Glad she's OK. Thanks for posting all!    phew

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 11-Dec-12, 08:33:56 PM »

Not unexpected for sure.

We've seen it here...twice. The first time Beauty won and Mariah stepped back.

The second time...well, we don't know precisely what happened, but Beauty was released and showed up on camera looking pretty beat up a few hours after Unity was killed. As many of you know, I have my personal opinion what happened.

I'm glad Haya survived and I hope she did learn.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 11-Dec-12, 09:00:47 PM »

phew A close call for Haya! Stay safe please!!  Roll Eyes

-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 18-Dec-12, 06:31:53 PM »

Haya settling? An update:

http://http://stewartfalcon.wordpress.com/2012/12/18/haya-settling/

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: