THE FORUM

21-Sep-24, 03:54:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wildlife Center of Virginia in the news  (Read 39984 times)
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 13-Nov-12, 10:17:19 PM »

Not good!  Sad

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 04-Dec-12, 03:45:26 PM »

Northern Saw-whet Owl #12-2562

Admission Date:
November 15, 2012
Location of Rescue:
Lynchburg, VA
Cause of Admission / Condition:
Caught in a mist net
Prognosis:
Good
Patient Status:
Current Patient

On November 15, a Northern Saw-whet Owl was admitted to the Wildlife Center as patient #12-2562. The small owl had captured in a mist net at a bird banding station in Lynchburg on November 13 and upon release was unable to fly. In most cases, birds that fly into these nets remain unharmed. However, birds that struggle against the net may sustain injuries to their muscles.

The initial rescuer kept the bird overnight and attempted a second release the following day. The owl was still unable to fly, prompting the rescuer to bring the bird to the Wildlife Center for continued care.

Upon admission, the owl was bright, alert and feisty with excellent body condition and good general health. A physical exam revealed no obvious injuries, and blood work showed no abnormal findings. When the owl was flight-tested, however, it appeared that the bird was unable to fly straight. Instead, it seemed to be tilting sideways and was having difficulty lifting its left wing.

The veterinary team further examined the bird and noted some subtle soft-tissue swelling in the owl’s left shoulder, indicating that there is a minor soft-tissue injury.

The owl is on cage rest and will be given an anti-inflammatory to reduce the soft tissue swelling. The veterinary team plans to flight test the bird again in several days and will continue to monitor the owl’s wing use. At this time, the prognosis is good for this owl, and long-term care is not anticipated.

#12-2562 is only the second Northern Saw-whet owl we have seen as a patient at the Wildlife Center in several years. Read about the first Northern Saw-whet Owl patient we received just last month – patient #12-2481.

Updates

December 3, 2012
Rehabilitator Amber reports that saw-whet owl #12-2562 is flying very well.  For the past five days, the small owl has been exercised in the hallway of the aviary and is exhibiting good altitude, maneuvering, and silence during flight.  The staff will continue to monitor the owl over the next two days, to ensure that the owl's original injury has resolved, but Center staff anticipate that the owl will be released soon.  Because the saw-whet owl was only hospitalized for a short amount of time [less than a month], and no eye injuries were present, the rehabilitation staff will likely not provide live-prey testing for the owl.

So adorable

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 04-Dec-12, 06:21:34 PM »

They are my favorite and the cutest of all owls! I hope they both return to the wild where they belong!  heart

-John Burroughs
AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 04-Dec-12, 09:03:16 PM »

What a beautiful little owl! Hoping for a successful release and return to the wild.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 06-Dec-12, 10:07:38 PM »

http://wildlifecenter.org/critter-corner/critter-cam "Buddy" Cam   Too dark right now

Look at the new Ambassador "Buddy" So grown up!

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 06-Dec-12, 10:39:15 PM »

Buddy is very handsome!  wub2

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 10-Dec-12, 05:31:16 PM »

Bald Eagle #12-2631

Admission Date:
December 9, 2012
Location of Rescue:
Surry County, VA
Cause of Admission / Condition:
Neurologic symptoms
Prognosis:
Poor
Patient Status:
Current Patient

On December 8, a mature Bald Eagle was found on the ground at the edge of a cow pasture in Surry County, Virginia.  A man rescued the eagle and took it to the Peninsula Emergency Vet Clinic where it was then cared for by a permitted wildlife rehabilitator for a night.  On the morning of December 9, a volunteer transporter drove the Bald Eagle to the Wildlife Center.

Dr. Dana Tedesco, the Center’s veterinary intern, examined the eagle when it arrived at the Center.  The eagle, likely a male, was not able to stand or hold up its head.  The eagle was also exhibiting neurologic symptoms – twitching and bobbing its head.  Dr. Dana and several veterinary students performed a quick physical exam, which included drawing blood for lead analysis.  At this time of year, lead toxicity is high on the list of potential problems for eagles exhibiting neurologic symptoms.   Dr. Dana found that the eagle’s lead levels were “low”, indicating that this was likely not the cause of admission.

Dr. Dana placed an intraosseous catheter [into the bone] to deliver several types of medications to the debilitated eagle.  The eagle’s heart rate was slow, so Dr. Dana provided a dose of atropine through the catheter.  She also provided supportive care consisting of antibiotics, anti-inflammatories, fluids, and oxygen therapy. 

The Center staff are not sure what is causing the severe neurologic symptoms in the Bald Eagle, though without high lead levels, the veterinary team suspect organophosphate [OP] toxicity.  Organophosphate poisoning most commonly is caused by exposure to pesticides or insecticides.  On December 10, additional blood was drawn so that an OP test could be sent to an outside laboratory.  Other causes of admission include head trauma, West Nile Virus, or a different type of toxicity.

The team will continue to monitor the eagle closely – the status of the eagle’s neurologic symptoms over the next several days will likely determine if this eagle will be able to recover.   Sad

AlisonL
Falcon

Like Count: 41

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 10-Dec-12, 08:29:56 PM »

I hope the Wildlife Center of Virginia will be able to find the cause of the eagle's problems and help him. Hoping for the very best for this poor eagle.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 14-Dec-12, 04:37:28 PM »

http://youtu.be/0uGPMJSKxjY A beautiful Eagle release!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 14-Dec-12, 06:38:28 PM »

thumbsup clap

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 01-Jan-13, 04:43:17 PM »

The first patient of 2013 was admitted this afternoon -- #13-0001 is a Red-shouldered Hawk. This hawk was very likely hit by a vehicle, at this point, it's condition is poor based on spinal and head trauma.

Sad Not what I wanted to read!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 01-Jan-13, 11:04:35 PM »

The first patient of 2013 was admitted this afternoon -- #13-0001 is a Red-shouldered Hawk. This hawk was very likely hit by a vehicle, at this point, it's condition is poor based on spinal and head trauma.

Sad Not what I wanted to read!

crying

-John Burroughs
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 25-Jan-13, 09:53:58 PM »

A peregrine falcon found injured in Chesapeake in 2010 needed to be euthanized today.

The falcon, named Chayton, was first admitted to the Wildlife Center of Virginia in February 2010. He was found in Chesapeake with a broken wing, a center news release said.

Because of the injury, Chayton couldn’t fly well enough to be released. As a result, he became an education falcon. He appeared in 113 programs and met more than 2,400 people, the release said.

Chayton suffered from pododermatitis, or “bumblefoot,” an inflammatory condition of the feet. He needed surgeries in 2010, 2011 and 2012.

Today, veterinarians found Chayton’s left foot to be significantly worse, the release said. With a large lesion and swollen foot, the team decided to euthanize him.

Chayton received his name in 2012, from a fourth grader at Camp Allen Elementary School in Norfolk. The Sioux word for falcon is Chayton.

Fly Free   Sad

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 25-Jan-13, 11:12:53 PM »

Fly free, little one. You taught so many about peregrines and will live on through those you touched Sad

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 25-Jan-13, 11:25:24 PM »

Fly free, little one. You taught so many about peregrines and will live on through those you touched Sad

ditto

-John Burroughs
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: