THE FORUM

23-Apr-24, 12:05:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 46   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Peregrine cam in Australia  (Read 293726 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 07-Nov-11, 05:33:19 AM »

Thanks Annette, they are so cute and funny at this stage. Thank goodness mom is on the ball and saved that young one from falling out! I know we are always on edge when they do this! Good idea...a safety net!

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 07-Nov-11, 06:47:54 AM »

wave  My, my aren't they busy these days! I love how they seem to be doing a drunken soldier dance while they're flapping their wings. Funny! Thanks for sharing Annette!  clap

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 08-Nov-11, 07:31:54 AM »

A peregrine tug ‘o war

As a nasty thunderstorm rolls in across Orange three nervous 35/33-day old eyases stand guard at the ledge watching the water stuff fall from the dark sky. When all seems lost for another feed before it sets in Swift arrived with sustenance. With hunger over-ruling manners the tug o’ war began and all four birds wound up in a fierce but not at all aggressive battle for food; amusing at the same time, but it’s all
in seriousness.

The tug o’ war video clip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88xiu_iBOZA#

Three feathery sentinels

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 08-Nov-11, 07:38:32 AM »

Great video, that one big girl reminded me of Callidora! "Gimme that!"

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 08-Nov-11, 08:00:40 AM »

Great video, that one big girl reminded me of Callidora! "Gimme that!"

I agree Donna! Those parents have their hands full don't they? Grin

-John Burroughs
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: 09-Nov-11, 02:07:04 PM »

Swift is bringing food

Big wings
« Last Edit: 09-Nov-11, 02:21:10 PM by Annette » Logged

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 10-Nov-11, 06:06:01 AM »

It’s a personal space thing

With only a couple of days left before fledging is attempted by all three eyases we’re preparing the catcher’s mitt in case of accidents. All three are now growing in confidence to hang their heads over the ledge and indeed one this morning was sitting on the ledge, facing inwards. Frustration through lack of real movement is growing, but this larger eyrie is proving itself more valuable than gold as it’s giving them some space to run, jump, fly and generally annoy each other with the occasional wing in the eye, as well as their own dark corners when they want privacy.

A personal space thing

As you can see from the above sometimes close company becomes a little overbearing and they all need their own space for a short while. At the same time they’re still all quite happy to sidle up to each other when snoozing. We’re not sure if someone has said something the others didn’t agree with here but they’ll remain good friends!

Incidentally the presentation that Cilla and I gave at the Nguluway indigenous staff conference here at Orange campus yesterday afternoon went down very well, with good interest shown and some worthy questions. We thought we may have to burst a few balloons to keep everyone awake but they weren’t needed! We all then went outside for a look up at the tower ledge window from the  grass beneath and were treated to a nervous calling display from Swift up on her feeding branch in the trees.  Great bunch of people and thanks once more to Catherine for inviting us along to spread the birdie wordie! it’s been suggested that we may upload the pdf slide presentation to the website once it’s polished up. Stay tuned.

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 11-Nov-11, 08:09:21 AM »

Peregrine chicks, all three

More video clips here of the 37/35 day old eyases (almost allowed to be called ‘falcons’ and ‘tiercel’). Narrambla, Ophir and Byng  are restless and are either snoozing against each other or causing havoc with high-speed runway testing and climbing the bleachers at the end of the box. The odd head-plant in to the wall doesn’t help but no harm done, it seems. They are the most efficient leaf/feather blowers we’ve seen too; not long ago the eyrie was padded with a layer of feathers but at the moment the gravel is shining through again. With only 4-6 days left (due out at 40-42 days) the catcher’s mitt is all shined up and it will be a tense weekend on the cameras making sure our charges are safe and not taking any risks. We’re not sure the staff in the office wing below the tower and near the trees will appreciate the peregrine din in the surrounding trees for the next 3-4 months though – apologies to them!

http://youtu.be/tr8Fed0L64s

http://youtu.be/2UshpNfmk6w

Inaccessible lunch

Ready to leave

Pensive peregrine

A little peregrine chick love

In a late breaking video clip we get up close and personal with one of the female eyases. Obviously bored out of her mind she and her sister take to annoying the camera, while Byng sits patiently over by the ledge not having any part in their larrikinism. Very funny and a little close for comfort!

http://youtu.be/kuFFuEcu6tY

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 11-Nov-11, 02:47:38 PM »

Flapping with prey

carla
Tiercel

Like Count: 78

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 11-Nov-11, 06:00:42 PM »

Thanks Annette,for posting these great video's.
I love them,they are so funny!

Greetings Carla
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 11-Nov-11, 08:41:20 PM »

clap Thanks Annette! These are wonderful videos!  Grin

-John Burroughs
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 14-Nov-11, 04:44:51 AM »

First female eyas fledges

Apologies for the delay in posting news – indeed, not minutes after I checked the cameras yesterday, the first female  fledged. There was little or no fanfare, both females stretched wings then settled back on to the ledge and then some secret mysterious evolutionary desire told 40-day old Narrambla to go. She flexed her wings, stumbled down the ledge and then at the point of no return opened up and glided down out of sight like an aircraft off an ocean-going carrier. Fortunately she reappeared in the background flying down over the trees before being lost to sight.

I’ve been out this morning searching for her but so far to no avail. The other little faces are staring down, watching activities, but haven’t been keen to go yet. A passive Swift is up in one of the remaining pine trees being unusually quiet but no sign of Narrambla. Let’s hope she’s not done what Solo did to us last year and bolted for a few days!

Apologies to those who are having continual problems in receiving the ledge camera stream. We’ve tested both feeds in a number of web browsers and seem to get the ledge feed (specifically) going most of the time. Internally we’ve had issues with the feed but by the time it reaches the web page it seems to have evened itself out. The initial suggestion would be to try in a different web browser (IE seems to be down the list of successful ones!). Rest assured as soon as we can upgrade the streaming capability this problem will be a thing of the past!!

Spotted!

An anxious Swift

And then there were two

video – 10mins
http://youtu.be/sQ0P6zZUppw

BBQ Breakfast, Thursday 17th Nov

Just to let our local viewers and supporters know, this coming Thursday our wonderful tireless supporters at Nature Conservation Trust are throwing a BBQ Breakfast at their cottage opposite the main gate at CSU Orange campus in Leeds Parade from 8am until noon (-ish). Anyone and everyone who can make it along will be treated to a sumptuous breakfast for a very modest $5. All profits and any extra donations go towards FalconCam project’s objectives to upgrade equipment and to set us up in the near future as a leading wildlife camera operation. Further details can be found on the official PDF flyer.

http://www.gumtreecs.com.au/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/NCT-BBQ-Breakfast-Flyer-17Nov-2011-5-lowres.pdf

A little excitement, and a rescue

Just got a call from Linda down in the Dentistry building to say that a young peregrine had found its way down there, below the trees, near the building. Dental patient Stephen Brooks got more than he bargained for when visiting for treatment and noticed not only the lovely staff ladies but also a wayward peregrine falcon outside the window. A hurried gathering of rescue backpack, a towel, gloves etc and we walked our way down to find fellow staffers Mark and Bruce keeping a close eye on a stranded and scared 41-day old peregrine fledgling looking very lost. We carefully bundled it up and took the opportunity to run up some measurements, weight etc before carefully placing it back in the branch of a tree just underneath the tower. There’s now conjecture as to whether this is a male or female as measurements and weights state this is a male, which brings in to question whether the other two are also males? Nevertheless this one shall remain known as Narrambla, the first fledging of the season. The rescue went off without a hitch and a special gallery has been created over on the right hand side of some of the photos taken of Narrambla. We left the bird in the tree with Swift wheeling overhead hoping for a response, and the other two young looking down from their lofty perch. Thanks to Stephen and others for their fantastic vigilance – one happy peregrine fledgling has been saved, without too much intervention or fuss.

Cilla, Narrambla (c/- H Manning)

No sooner, than…

Just as things began to settle down again the second bird took off. Well, not so much as took off, more like got up, tripped and fell straight out the window! A quick check around underneath the tower confirmed a successful three-point landing on the lawn below the tower. Although only walking and not having made it in to a tree things are hopeful for number 2. Swift was quick to begin her aggressive wheeling and Beau joined in as well, to ensure their 2nd charge was protected. Return calling began and all should be good, although the fledgling was last seen trotting down the hill in the direction of the road. Being mobile and in open space we’d hope it would make for the trees before dusk.

base-jumping peregrine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrZlDlI2e1s#

Safe on the green stuff

Number 2 has landed

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 14-Nov-11, 08:44:57 AM »

2thumbsup Thanks Annette that was very cool to see!  wave

-John Burroughs
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 15-Nov-11, 07:06:21 AM »

A lunchtime walk-around

Checking up on the expanding flock at lunchtime today has confirmed most members are accounted for. Cilla took a good pic this morning of one of the two recalcitrants from last evening, still there in the tree (but gone by lunchtime, it appears):

Possibly Byng

By lunchtime the combination had changed and we were lucky enough to see Beau, Swift and possibly Byng all up in the feeding tree together, with Ophir still in the eyrie and Narrambla on camouflage duty somewhere:

Spot the three falcons

Byng is already being harassed by a local tiny ‘willy wagtail’ up the tree and by now will be experiencing a headache from all the pecking going on earlier. Just yesterday Beau himself was forced to move on after being harassed!

(more photos in General Gallery #8 to the right as well)

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 15-Nov-11, 07:16:21 AM »

Love the "FEEDING" tree. Hope they spot the other soon. Thanks

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 ... 46   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: