THE FORUM

01-May-24, 06:06:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beauty Found Injured - Downtown Rochester (2/10/12)  (Read 109116 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 13-Feb-12, 07:08:39 PM »

Some blood-curdling fights! I take that back what I said about Canadian falcons.  Shocked This is such scary stuff.

Thanks Alison.

carly
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 107

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 13-Feb-12, 07:20:54 PM »

Carly, I believe you intended to refer to biologist Gordon Court in Alberta.

Lol..yes that's who I meant...gah..at least I got his first name right.  Thank you Alison, you're a sweetheart  2thumbsup
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 13-Feb-12, 08:43:42 PM »

Today I received a message from a concerned citizen, I am not saying who but this person brought up some good questions that maybe someone can or try to answer. Thank you!

I am confused about the idea that Beauty was fought by Unity.  Did anyone see the fight? Are her wounds consistent with a fight?  How is it that Beauty nearly killed Mariah and beat her up badly and yet this experienced fighter loses to a bird nearly her same age.  Is Unity showing any signs of the fight?  Is it possible Beauty fought with owl or eagle rather than Unity?  Was there any reports of Beauty showing signs of her fight with Mariah back 3 years ago?  I am really finding it hard to believe Unity and Beauty fought.

Any takers?

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 13-Feb-12, 08:58:02 PM »

Today I received a message from a concerned citizen, I am not saying who but this person brought up some good questions that maybe someone can or try to answer. Thank you!

I am confused about the idea that Beauty was fought by Unity.  Did anyone see the fight? Are her wounds consistent with a fight?  How is it that Beauty nearly killed Mariah and beat her up badly and yet this experienced fighter loses to a bird nearly her same age.  Is Unity showing any signs of the fight?  Is it possible Beauty fought with owl or eagle rather than Unity?  Was there any reports of Beauty showing signs of her fight with Mariah back 3 years ago?  I am really finding it hard to believe Unity and Beauty fought.

Any takers?

I totally believe Unity and Beauty fought but obviously there's no way to know for sure. Check out my insights and the possible scenario on my watch report from today on the falcon watch blog.  heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 13-Feb-12, 09:35:03 PM »

They can likely tell by the nature of her injuries, size of any lacerations, puncture wounds, etc..  Given that another female was seen right away in the territory tends to lean credence to the watchers conclusions and given the history between Beauty and Unity already I'd say it's plausible. 

Keep in mind, not all battles are seen.  Some are over quickly and others take place very high up or out of view and we don't find out until we hear an injured or deceased bird has been found.

~Sage~
Juvie

Like Count: 38

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: 13-Feb-12, 10:18:33 PM »

Remember when Yankee took over the University of Buffalo nest from the first male, Smoky?   I think this is Smoky trying to regain his nest when there were already three eggs laid. (Yankee & BB)  BB came back and tried to protect her eggs but one broke in half.
  BB at far left

Shortly after the fight at UB, we saw a tiercel we think was Smoky attempt to engage the male, Stash, at Central Terminal but he screeched from the perch and Stella came out of the nest box and together the scared away the intruder.

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 13-Feb-12, 10:18:33 PM »

Any takers?

Did anyone see the fight? - Last Sunday Brian H witnessed aggression between Beauty and another female Peregrine Falcon.  I have not heard that anyone witnessed a fight on Friday, the day Beauty was found on the ground.

Are her wounds consistent with a fight? - No one, except the vet and rehabber, have examined her wounds, so I cannot answer that one.

How is it that Beauty nearly killed Mariah and beat her up badly and yet this experienced fighter loses to a bird nearly her same age?  - When Beauty fought Mariah, she had help from Archer.  The day Brian H and I found her, both Beauty and Archer were attacking her.  Every time Mariah tried to fly away, they knocked her down, until we were able to rescue her.

Is Unity showing any signs of the fight?  I watched her very closely through the scope while she ate on the roof on Saturday.  I could see no outward evidence of any injuries, but that doesn't mean there aren't any hidden injuries beneath her feathers.  She seems to be ok.

Is it possible Beauty fought with owl or eagle rather than Unity? - Anything is possible, but we know that Brian H witnessed her fighting with another female the weekend before and now there is a new female on territory.

Was there any reports of Beauty showing signs of her fight with Mariah back 3 years ago? - No, Beauty did not appear to be injured at that time.  But again, it is impossible to see injuries covered by their feathers.

I am really finding it hard to believe Unity and Beauty fought. - Although we cannot be 100% sure (until we positively ID this bird) that Unity is the new female downtown, we know for sure that both Beauty and Unity were seen fighting on the Kodak Tower last year.  A security guard was able to get some pretty intense pictures of the fight.  Also, Kathy O and I saw Beauty at Kodak Park with Archer, checking out the nest site.  Thankfully Unity was not there at the time.  So they were definitely aware of each other.

These are all very good questions.  To whoever asked these questions through Donna, thanks.  It really helps to piece together what happened leading up to Beauty's going to rehab.  It helps to understand what may have happened.  

Peregrines know no borders.....
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: 13-Feb-12, 10:41:25 PM »

Thank you Carol, good answers considering we really don't much of what happened on that Friday. Sometimes I think, is this really happening?  Sad

Guru
Fluffball

Like Count: 6

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 13-Feb-12, 11:50:41 PM »

Goodness, I remember someone posting photos of a brawl between Beuty and Unity at Kodak office last year.  Am I correct?
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: 14-Feb-12, 04:49:50 AM »

Do other raptors fight to the death like peregrines?  This has been bothering me for quite some time now. Most of the back yard birds I'm familiar with usually settle their battles before any serious injury occurs. How will the peregrine population ever increase if one simply replaces another through serious injury or death? Perhaps this is happening because of so many nests in cities?? Sometimes it almost seems as if peregrines are determined to keep their population low. It's extremely frustrating to watch. I sure hope someone can post some good information on this subject for me to read.

Dot in PA

Good questions Dot and hope we get some good answers. The Canadian falcons seem to get along, know their boundaries. Unity went way off her boundary. Maybe some are more aggressive? I can't imagine the pigeon supply dropping at Kodak Park, so what made her come to Beauty's territory?

His name is Archer
My thought was Beauty has a penthouse and all Unity has is a pile of pigeon poop
carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: 14-Feb-12, 05:59:18 AM »

Goodness, I remember someone posting photos of a brawl between Beuty and Unity at Kodak office last year.  Am I correct?

Here is the link to the Imprints article and photos of said altercation:

http://rfalconcam.com/imprinting/?p=1498
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 14-Feb-12, 09:34:43 AM »

Here is the link to the Imprints article and photos of said altercation:

http://rfalconcam.com/imprinting/?p=1498

Bad memory! Be well Beauty. heart

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: 14-Feb-12, 11:33:21 AM »

June Summers of GVAS will be calling into the Lonsberry show on WHAM at 11:45 to talk about the Rochester falcons. You can listen online.

http://www.iheart.com/#/live/1505/
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 14-Feb-12, 11:41:49 AM »

June Summers of GVAS will be calling into the Lonsberry show on WHAM at 11:45 to talk about the Rochester falcons. You can listen online.

http://www.iheart.com/#/live/1505/

I'm in thanks!

11:45 Or there about!  Cheesy  heart
« Last Edit: 14-Feb-12, 12:03:22 PM by Donna » Logged

carly
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 14-Feb-12, 11:51:58 AM »

Blocked here, let us know what she says and if she gives an update on Beauty!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: