THE FORUM

03-Oct-24, 07:16:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rare bird recuperating from life-saving surgery  (Read 4479 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 28-Nov-09, 09:08:17 PM »

Rare bird recuperating from life-saving surgery
Peregrine falcons rare in Florida

A rescued immature peregrine falcon rests in an incubator. Photo Courtesy of HAWKE
A young peregrine falcon, which are only rarely seen in Florida, is recuperating after major life-saving surgery.

Staff at St. Johns Veterinary Clinic operated Friday on the bird, which was found injured earlier this week in Volusia County.

Dr. Mark Gendzier, a veterinarian, said pins were placed in the radius in its left wing, and the tibiotarsus in the bird's right leg.

"This bird was in quite good shape for having two fractures," he said. However, the healing rate for fractures in birds is lower than in humans and other animals because avian bones are hollow.

There also isn't much blood supply to bones, which is essential for healing.

Peregrine falcons were endangered for years after wide-spread use of DDT lowered its reproduction rate, and they had few nests east of the Mississippi, according to the Audubon Society. Now, peregrine falcons migrate through Florida on their way to habitat in South America.

The bird, resting on its breast Friday afternoon in an incubator set to 90 degrees, is expected to pull through.

Melanie Cain-Stage of H.A.W.K.E., a wildlife rehabilitator, said the bird probably would not recover enough to be released into the wild.

"Eventually, he'll get the wrappings off and some rehab like physical therapy" and would become an education bird, she said.

Stage said the bird was too young to be reliably identified as male or female because its flight feathers had not yet come in.

In males, "wing feathers are slate blue," she said, while females have brown wing feathers.

If it's a male, she'll name it Ken after longtime friends Ken Pacetti and Ken Moffitt, she said in an e-mail. Pacetti passed away Monday, she said.

In the meantime, she said she'd make up a sling to protect the bird's foot, and would keep it "clean, calm and fed."

That entails administering painkillers and antibiotics, Gendzier said.

And Stage said she'd use calipers to feed the sharp-beaked bird small pieces of quail three times a day.

"They're upscale birds," she said with a laugh. "They won't look at a mouse."

"You have to know how to handle them," she said.

Gendzier didn't know how the bird, found somewhere in Volusia County, was injured, but Stage said it might have been hit by a car.

Or, it might have collided with something during a high-speed dive.

It definitely wasn't hit by a predator, she said.

"Nothing messes with a peregrine," she said.

"They're hyper birds, but they're real smart," she said.

Cool Facts

* The name "peregrine" means wanderer, and the Peregrine Falcon has one of the longest migrations of any North American bird. Tundra-nesting falcons winter in South America, and may move 15,500 miles in a year.

* People have trained falcons for hunting for over a thousand years, and the Peregrine Falcon was always one of the most prized birds. Efforts to breed the Peregrine in captivity and re-establish populations depleted during the DDT years were greatly assisted by the existence of methods of handling captive falcons developed by falconers.

* The Peregrine Falcon is a very fast flier, averaging 25-34 mph in traveling flight, and reaching speeds up to 69 mph in direct pursuit of prey. During its spectacular hunting stoop from heights of over 0.62 mi, the peregrine may reach speeds of 200 mph as it drops toward its prey.

* The Peregrine Falcon is one of the most widespread birds in the world. It is found on all continents except Antarctica, and on many oceanic islands.

* Populations crashed in 1950-1970 because of DDT poisoning; eastern population destroyed completely. It was declared an Endangered Species, and extensive efforts were made to re-establish birds in East, beginning with the work of Tom Cade in 1970 at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology, which eventually developed into the Peregrine Fund. The species recovered enough to be removed from the Endangered Species List in 1999.

Source: Cornell Lab of Ornithology

About H.A.W.K.E.

The Humane Association of Wildlife Care and Education (H.A.W.K.E.) is a not-for-profit organization licensed by the State of Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. The organization does not receive state or federal support and depends mainly on donations from members, fund-raisers and support of the community. Curator Melanie Cain-Stage has been helping wildlife in northeast Florida since 1979. Go to www.hawkewildlife.org to join online with a credit card or to donate. For information, call 692-1777.

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28-Nov-09, 11:33:49 PM »

If this little one's flight feathers haven't come in, how did it fly?

What a sweet little face!  So glad he was rescued

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29-Nov-09, 06:32:11 AM »

Who knows...everyone has their own theory on Falcons and is it true that blue winged falcons are males and brown winged  are females? Is it that easy to tell??? ???

Annette
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29-Nov-09, 08:08:31 AM »

Hi Donna,

blue-winged falcons are adults and brown-winged falcons are juvies.

Greetings
Annette

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29-Nov-09, 09:51:20 AM »

Who knows...everyone has their own theory on Falcons and is it true that blue winged falcons are males and brown winged  are females? Is it that easy to tell??? ???

I don't know...last time I looked, Mariah had slate blue wing feathers.  I have heard some say that the female's feathers have a brownish cast where the male is more blue, but I personally don't see it.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29-Nov-09, 10:52:27 PM »

Injured falcon on road to recovery

ELKTON -- A bird not usually seen in this area that swoops in on its prey faster than a Daytona 500 competitor is recuperating from life-threatening injuries after being found last week in Ormond Beach.

For the first time since its Friday surgery to repair fractures to its left wing and right leg, the peregrine falcon was able to put weight on its broken leg Saturday. The surgeon, Dr. Mark Gendzier of St. Johns Veterinary Clinic, was optimistic.

"It looked very good on his post-op X-rays," said Gendzier, who does pro bono work for wildlife rehabilitators.

The juvenile bird's caretaker, Melanie Cain-Stage of the Humane Association of Wildlife Care and Education (HAWKE Inc.) in this rural town west of St. Augustine, says she's not sure whether the bird is male or female -- and doubts it will be swooping in on prey in the wild again.

"If they aren't perfect, they are going to die" in the wild, she said, explaining that peregrines migrate up to 11,000 miles, with some of them covering the expanse from summer homes in Alaska to wintering grounds in South America.

The juvenile that an Ormond Beach woman reported "falling out of the sky" into her backyard eight days ago was likely migrating to its winter residence, according to Michael Brothers, manager of education and exhibits at the Marine Science Center in Ponce Inlet.

This species, likely of the subspecies peregrinis flaco anatum, generally appears in this area in mid-November as it makes its way to points south, although Brothers said he's seen a number of them roosting in this area all winter, he said.

But they are hardly ever brought in for rehabilitation. Brothers estimates that since the Mary Keller Seabird Rehabilitation Sanctuary opened in 2004, only one or two of the 5,500 birds that have come through the sanctuary have been peregrine falcons. The bird rehab facility is part of the science center.

"It's exciting to see this bird up close," he said.

The Ormond Beach woman who found the bird at first brought the injured animal to the Ponce Inlet facility, Brothers said. But then Cain-Stage, who has a permit to handle peregrine falcons for education, was called on to find the appropriate care for the bird.

Cain-Stage said she believes the bird was probably hit by a car. As it recuperates, Cain-Stage is feeding it beef and quail. Already the bird is getting the hang of its new life in the hospital portion of Cain-Stage's sanctuary, which also houses eagles, otters, turtles and owls. As Cain-Stage approached the bird's incubator with chunks of meat, it stopped making a slight hissing noise and opened its slightly hooked beak.

"Already she knows I'm not going to hurt her," Cain-Stage said. "And that, when she sees me, I'm going to bring her food.

"She's been a very good patient."

A recent experiment showed the bird is the fastest living creature on the planet, able to reach speeds of 200 mph as it zeroes in on its prey. Cain-Stage said this bird -- in the likely event it can't be released -- will be used to teach children about the effects of the pesticide called DDT, which decimated the peregrine population from the 1950s to the '70s.

When birds ingested the pesticide, they laid eggs that were too fragile for parents to sit on to warm the developing chick. With the discontinuation of its use, though, peregrine falcons made a comeback -- and were taken off the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service's endangered species list in 1999.

NoraH
Juvie

Like Count: 26

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29-Nov-09, 11:47:48 PM »

stupid Unless I missed it, they didn't say if it's banded or not.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30-Nov-09, 07:37:58 AM »

stupid Unless I missed it, they didn't say if it's banded or not.

Janet, in the first article, it said they can't tell if it's M/F. So my guess would be unbanded.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: