THE FORUM

28-Apr-24, 12:31:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pale Male  (Read 86608 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 17-Aug-12, 07:08:19 AM »

http://youtu.be/QBufBWOYhvY and look what he's eating. Sad

Pale Male in the late summer and early fall seems to fall into a routine in the late afternoon.  Hunting near the Great Lawn, eating a meal, and then going to roost.  He's begun that pattern once again.

Urban Hawks

http://youtu.be/s1_WZOqQM20 The healthy fledgling

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 17-Aug-12, 07:14:38 AM »

Oh no!!!!  He never used to eat rats Shocked

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: 17-Aug-12, 07:18:44 AM »

Oh no!!!!  He never used to eat rats Shocked

Not good!

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: 17-Aug-12, 12:37:06 PM »

I don't want him to get ill or die for a big change to happen.  I didn't see the link to the petition on the site

Anatole France
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: 17-Aug-12, 01:06:20 PM »

I don't want him to get ill or die for a big change to happen.  I didn't see the link to the petition on the site

The Pale Male site has been black for 2 days.   Here's the link to the petition:

http://www.change.org/petitions/new-york-state-department-of-environmental-conservation-stop-the-murder-of-our-red-tail-hawks-in-nyc

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 17-Aug-12, 11:10:02 PM »

Pale Male's Baby Hawks Can't Come Home Until Rat Poison is Removed - DNAinfo.com New York

http://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20120813/upper-west-side-morningside-heights/pale-males-baby-hawks-cant-come-home-until-rat-poison-removed.

jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 18-Aug-12, 01:00:35 AM »

Thanks, Kris for both posts.  Sheesh.  This is just so sad. 

Anatole France
NoraH
Juvie

Like Count: 26

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 18-Aug-12, 11:43:27 AM »

And the boathouse taken care of by the Parks Dept. of all people still uses it  Undecided

About ten years ago I had a rat problem as many people did that year.  I didn't want to use rat poison because of my dogs and cat, but couldn't get them in traps and they were multiplying.  My feed store guy told me about E-Raze.  It's made by the company that uses the third category.  Their poisons contain zinc phosphide which produces a gas in the stomach and kills the rats.  Less danger to cats, dogs, and such because they can throw up, rats can't, and it's not a systemic poison.  What I'm wondering if something like this would pose a lower threat to the hawks than the anticoagulant types.  The way I understand it that is doesn't get/stay in the tissues of the rat.  ???  I will say I had quite the "herd" out there and within 24 hours not one.  I'm sure it killed some, some was probably taken to their home and killed more, but when the rats have a death problem the others will leave the area.  I was amazed.

I found this telling the three categories of poisons at http://www.epa.gov/oppsrrd1/reregistration/rodenticides/finalriskdecision.htm

Differences Among the Rodenticides - The ten rodenticide active ingredients covered by this action can be divided into three categories:

first-generation anticoagulants: warfarin, chlorophacinone, and diphacinone;
second-generation anticoagulants: brodifacoum, bromadiolone, difenacoum, and difethialone; and
non-anticoagulants: bromethalin, cholecalciferol and zinc phosphide.

The anticoagulants interfere with blood clotting, and death can result from excessive bleeding. Bromethalin is a nerve toxicant that causes respiratory distress. Cholecalciferol is vitamin D3, which in small dosages is needed for good health in most mammals, but in massive doses is toxic, especially to rodents. Zinc phosphide causes liberation of toxic phosphine gas in the stomach.

The second-generation anticoagulants are especially hazardous for several reasons. They are highly toxic, and they persist a long time in body tissues. The second-generation anticoagulants are designed to be toxic in a single feeding, but since time-to-death is several days, rodents can feed multiple times before death, leading to carcasses containing residues that may be many times the lethal dose. Predators or scavengers that feed on those poisoned rodents may consume enough to suffer harm.

The "rat/rodent killer" I got was through Motomco  http://www.motomco.com/p_products.htm
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: 18-Aug-12, 12:39:01 PM »

If they would just leave the rats alone and let the red tails eat them, that might solve their problem.  Plus, keeping the garbage area very neat and tidy helps a lot, too.  And yes, if two or three rats die, the others leave. 

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 19-Aug-12, 11:03:39 PM »

I asked WINORR on FB if anyone could give a recent update about the babies and got this today:

"PaleMale's 2 offspring are doing much better. The first one appears fully recovered and unscathed by the ordeal . The second one has still not completely regained all its abilities and acts neurologic ,slightly unbalanced occassionally. It hasn't returned to the sharp attentive bird its sibling is but we are hopeful in time it may. A plan or time for release has not been determined yet as it will take much consideration as to where and when they are fully capable if not retruned to their family for necessary training for the best chance for survival."

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 19-Aug-12, 11:09:11 PM »

good news

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1004

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 19-Aug-12, 11:27:07 PM »

Thanks Kris!  This is good news.   happy

Peregrines know no borders.....
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: 20-Aug-12, 09:01:36 AM »

Maybe they will bring the juvies up to Croton.  There might be enough rats and mice to go around.  Plus, they would have two others the same age around.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 21-Aug-12, 08:47:49 AM »

More good news! Lincoln has posted pics of Pale Male and Zena in their nest yesterday so she has returned and is OK!   2thumbsup

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 21-Aug-12, 09:05:56 AM »

More good news! Lincoln has posted pics of Pale Male and Zena in their nest yesterday so she has returned and is OK! 2thumbsup
good news

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 ... 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: