THE FORUM

24-Apr-24, 01:00:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Falcon awaits return to wild  (Read 1841 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 18-Nov-12, 10:42:06 PM »

Dr. John Hitron and Rod Gasche attempted on Monday to release back to the wild a young male peregrine falcon on the eastern end of Dr. Julian Bruce St. George Island State Park where it was found last month by a park ranger. He had been injured, was weak from lack of food and parasites. Chris Beatty and her staff at the Florida Wild Mammal Association cared for it and felt he should be allowed to attempt to return to where he belongs - in the wild!

He was actively trying to leave his confinement so when we opened the door and stood back he quickly headed out into the sand dunes. Much to our sorrow he was unable to fly well enough to survive. He strived several times to rise above the tops of the grasses and bushes but was unable to get up. Because of coyotes on the island, the men were afraid that if left the falcon would never survive them, let alone be able to feed himself as he could not continue to soar for his food.  After a few attempts to recapture him, the bird tired and Gasche was able to toss a tablecloth over him and return him back to the safety of his shelter. Beatty and her volunteer staff will do further tests and continue to work on the falcon’s health until he can take care of himself in his own realm.

The Times

nwfloridafalconfan
Juvie

Like Count: 28

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 18-Nov-12, 11:17:43 PM »

A good try, but these guys don't seem to have the equipment (flight cages) or experience of the rehabers that worked with Mariah and Jemison.
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18-Nov-12, 11:30:22 PM »

Poor baby Sad

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19-Nov-12, 12:56:20 AM »

Sad

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: