THE FORUM

23-Apr-24, 11:57:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Of Rochester, New York: A Place of Flour and Flowers  (Read 1530 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 09-Jan-13, 09:21:22 AM »

Funny, saw this while not even looking. Carol mentioned this in her tweet this am.

I live in America’s first boom town—Rochester, New York—on Linden Street. Linden trees, unsurprisingly, line much of my street. Down the street is the Genesee River, once one of America’s most polluted—and possibly still. My street is a historic district that was once part of the world’s largest nursery. The Ellwanger and Barry Company supplied the first fruit trees to California…

The trees were initially grown in Rochester greenhouses and shipped via rail. The introduction of cherry blossoms from Japan to Washington, D.C., initially came through Ellwanger and Barry, where they were listed in pre-Civil War catalogues. In the nineteenth century, a wall six feet high stretched the length of my street and encircled the nursery grounds. Victorian homes line the opposite side of my street. The homes on my side are all American Foursquare, built after the turn of the twentieth century; by that point, Ellwanger and Barry had shifted its business to real estate development. The company donated land to create Highland Park, Rochester’s first park. Eventually the first statue in the U.S. of an African American, Frederick Douglass, was erected in the park near the site of his home that burned in 1872.

Floral catalogues from Rochester helped the city win the recognition as the Flower City of America. The city’s current logo, with its abstract water wheel/flower design, nods to both the flour-milling industries, which moved westward in the 1830s, and seed and flower industries which declined by the 1890s. Rochester was the world leader in both. Rochester also boasts one of four complete park systems in the nation designed by Frederick Law Olmsted (the other park systems are in Buffalo, Louisville, and Boston). Olmsted recommended engineer Calvin Laney as Rochester’s first Park Superintendent, who in turn hired John Dunbar, a Scottish immigrant, to supervise the planting and maintenance of the collection.

As the first Assistant Park Superintendent, Dunbar surpassed Olmsted’s plans and eventually introduced lilacs to Highland Park, for which the city is well known. In 1903, Dunbar built and lived in the house that I now call home.

By Joel Helfrich

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: