THE FORUM

19-Mar-24, 04:21:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 217   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Rhea Mae and Tiago's Webcam - Toronto - Canadian Peregrine Foundation  (Read 1405954 times)
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1002

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« on: 31-Jul-09, 08:40:02 PM »

http://www.peregrine-foundation.ca/Web_Cams/TorontoSheraton/index.htm

Peregrines know no borders.....
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01-Aug-09, 12:47:29 PM »

One tweak I'd like to request, please.  I'd like to see Rhea Mae's forum in the main section.  Just doesn't feel right to me for her to be under other raptor web cams.  Perhaps a topic called Rochester Offspring...Rhea Mae & Tiago could have a thread...Quest...grandeyases... 

Respectfully submitted...Ei

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 09-Aug-09, 09:51:03 PM »

Done.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09-Aug-09, 10:12:26 PM »

Hotel, foundation hatch webcam plan to keep chicks safe

What was once an urban phenomenon is now an annual tradition thanks to the Canadian Peregrine foundation.

On June 12, two peregrine falcon chicks were banded at the Toronto Sheraton Centre Hotel.

The fledglings, which nest on the forty-third floor of the hotel, were named Kevin and Dina after CITY-TV on-air personalities Kevin Frankish and Dina Pugliese, who participated in the event.

This is the fifth year that falcons have been banded at the hotel.

It’s only the tenth year where falcons have been observed to nest in Downtown high-rise buildings.

Another pair of falcons has been nesting atop the building at 18 King St. E. since 1995 and produce offspring each year.

Banding is a long established procedure by the provincial and federal wildlife resources to band the young peregrine with leg bands in an effort to assist with management and migration and monitoring of the young birds.

Mark Nash, director of the foundation, explains that after the baby falcons are banded, ”they spend about 45 days at the nest prior to them taking their maiden flight.

“They are young and overweight and because of this excessive weight, and since they have never flown before, end up coming to the ground. On the ground they are unable to gain altitude again and the foundation has been actively involved in monitoring and performing the services of a ‘Fledge watch’ at all the urban nest sites.

“Our purpose,” Nash continues, “is to work with the ministry of natural resources and rescue these baby fledglings, check them over for any obvious signs of injury and after they have been checked out we bring them back to the rooftops to repeat that scenario. We are rescuing birds from the sidewalks or roadways two or three times during their first flights.”

The Canadian Peregrine Foundation is a non-profit organization dedicated to the restoration and recovery of endangered birds of prey. They work with many partners who assist them with this program. One sponsor is the Sheraton Hotel. Hotel rep Cynthia Bond explains why the hotel is involved.

“Sheraton is proud to be foster parents of the baby falcons. In addition to giving donations, we also monitor the webcams for the falcons, and from a hotel perspective we do not allow our window washers to go anywhere near the nest when the mother is on the nest or when the baby falcons are waiting to take flight.”

Bond continues, “When we were first notified that the birds were in the building we were delighted to work with the ministry of natural resources to ensure the birds’ well-being.

“When you look at the volunteers at the foundation and see the people putting so much passion into this how can you not become involved? It’s something very special to have the birds in an urban landscape.”

The Canadian Peregrine Foundation also held a banding on June 4 at the Mississauga Executive Centre site. There are other urban sites in Etobicoke and Scarborough where they are waiting for the birds to “reclutch.”

These birds failed in their first attempt to hatch eggs but if they are successful in this “reclutch” and hatching there may be another banding event in August.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11-Aug-09, 08:53:24 PM »

I was browsing through my Flickr account looking for something else & ran across this pic of Rhea Mae & her eyases this year...I just like it and wanted to share  Smiley

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Joyce
Global Moderator
Falcon

Like Count: 283

"Cadence"

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11-Aug-09, 09:22:40 PM »

Hotel, foundation hatch webcam plan to keep chicks safe

What was once an urban phenomenon is now an annual tradition thanks to the Canadian Peregrine foundation.

On June 12, two peregrine falcon chicks were banded at the Toronto Sheraton Centre Hotel.

The fledglings, which nest on the forty-third floor of the hotel, were named Kevin and Dina after CITY-TV on-air personalities Kevin Frankish and Dina Pugliese, who participated in the event...

Donna, I'm confused. These were the the fledglings from 2007.  They were Tiago and Wind's only two before Rhea Mae took over the Sheraton.  
Lou
Juvie

Like Count: 130

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: 13-Aug-09, 08:38:10 PM »

I was browsing through my Flickr account looking for something else & ran across this pic of Rhea Mae & her eyases this year...I just like it and wanted to share  Smiley

I also did a browse through some old stuff and came across this picture of Rhea Mae that I wanted to share. I only got part of her in the picture because she was right over our heads.

Lou
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13-Aug-09, 09:03:12 PM »

Great shot, Lou!

Paul
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1002

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13-Aug-09, 09:21:09 PM »

Ahhhhhh, the lovely Rhea Mae!  Thanks Lou!   heart

Peregrines know no borders.....
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13-Aug-09, 10:45:20 PM »

Sweet as a baby and still beautiful! She learned motherhood from the best! heart

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14-Aug-09, 02:58:56 AM »

Hi Lou,

your photo of Rhea Mae is so beautiful! I love it!

Greetings
Annette

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17-Aug-09, 08:47:56 AM »

Someone on the standpipe this morning (the other cam is stuck...again)...definitely an adult...I'm guessing Rhea Mae based on size...

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18-Aug-09, 10:31:58 PM »

Someone on the standpipe this morning (the other cam is stuck...again)...definitely an adult...I'm guessing Rhea Mae based on size...

This just in from Big Frank:

Re: RHea Mae 08-17-2009

Jan reported one adult,in the area saw the band and it was Tiago. She also saw
one juvenile which she thought had dark tape. Later she saw one on the
pipe,definetly adult as was said and also a Juvenile with a white tape on
it,which would be Osler,so likely 2 of the juvies are still in the area. Ive
already seen a juvenile Peregrine where I count migrating raptors. While the
bird seen wasnt necessarily migrating,since there is no nest in the vicinity
that was successful this season,its a wandering juvenile.
  thumbsup

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19-Aug-09, 09:30:29 AM »

This just in from Big Frank:

Re: RHea Mae 08-17-2009

. Later she saw one on the
pipe,definetly adult as was said and also a Juvenile .
  thumbsup
Thanks Donna-work 'puter is being wonky...hope this posts...adult on the standpipe again just now...also looks like someone standing on the nest tray...I'll have to post on Yahoo later...

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19-Aug-09, 09:49:21 AM »

Phooey!  They're still there-9:50AM...have to leave my desk...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 ... 217   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: