THE FORUM

28-Mar-24, 11:15:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Carol P's Blast from the Past Falcon Watch Reports  (Read 66618 times)
Penelope99
Juvie

Like Count: 18

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 04-Mar-13, 05:24:00 PM »

Have you known Cabot-Sirocco, Carol? He is my first falcon. I remember the news on Toronto TV many years ago.
Lou
Juvie

Like Count: 130

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: 04-Mar-13, 06:33:32 PM »

Here's another one from a few years ago.  Ahhh for the good old caveman birdwatching days...

"Sun come out. Me go to river edge. Me stand near big water. Look up on rock. See bird! Me happy.

Me then joined by Anad, Nad, Oul, and Yatch. Me say, "Look at bird! On rock!"  We all happy then.  We see deer in gorge. We more happy! Quick lunch.Me eat leg.

Later, more tribe come out. We joined by Asil, Inbra, Amk, and Shaky. Bird fly off. Fly over big water. Bird land in tree. Bird poop on Amk.  We laugh.

Bird fly back to rock. We see turkey in gorge. We have quick dinner. Me have wing. We all happy.

Sun go down. Me go home. Me have good day!

- Lorac"
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 1003

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04-Mar-13, 09:05:24 PM »

Have you known Cabot-Sirocco, Carol? He is my first falcon. I remember the news on Toronto TV many years ago.

I do remember Cabot-Sirocco Penelope.  I was more a lurker back then though and wasn't involved with the Falcon Watch officially. 

My friend and long time Watcher Dan has told me many wonderful stories about watching Cabot-Sirocco, Mariah and their young.  He told me C-S was a very large tiercel and that he and Mariah were incredible together.  He was missed by many when he did not return.   heart

His and Mariah's daughter, Ranger, continues to be seen in Toronto, very close to where her father was born.  That is so amazing.

Peregrines know no borders.....
Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04-Mar-13, 09:20:09 PM »

Is this perhaps the first sighting of Beauty and Archer in Rochester?

Patsy - This was too early for Beauty and Archer.  Beauty was actually first spotted at the BS location and Archer was Mariah's mate for a short while before she lost her territory.
Ah, okay, thanks Carol.  I didn't know Beauty once made BS her home, and I think I forgot on purpose that Mariah and Archer were mates at one time (don't want to think about that grandmother/grandson thing).   Shocked

Someone had mentioned in one of the comments...before Beauty was ID'd at BS her nickname was Clarice. And if memory serves me correctly, she was hanging out there with Zephyr. Or at least he was spotted with her once. Winter 2008-2009. And as much as I love her now & hate to recall it, she is the female who took down Mariah.

Zephyr was seen at the end of March, 2009, in his juvie plumage doing lots of fancy flying and vocalizing for Beauty when she was still at the BS location.  Of course at that time, we had not positively ID'd her.  I think I have a video out there on Youtube showing Zephyr flying for Beauty.  Since then, there has not been any reported sightings of Zephyr.

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04-Mar-13, 09:21:06 PM »

Here's another one from a few years ago.  Ahhh for the good old caveman birdwatching days...

harhar

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: 04-Mar-13, 09:43:37 PM »

Here's another one from a few years ago.  Ahhh for the good old caveman birdwatching days...

"Sun come out. Me go to river edge. Me stand near big water. Look up on rock. See bird! Me happy.

Me then joined by Anad, Nad, Oul, and Yatch. Me say, "Look at bird! On rock!"  We all happy then.  We see deer in gorge. We more happy! Quick lunch.Me eat leg.

Later, more tribe come out. We joined by Asil, Inbra, Amk, and Shaky. Bird fly off. Fly over big water. Bird land in tree. Bird poop on Amk.  We laugh.

Bird fly back to rock. We see turkey in gorge. We have quick dinner. Me have wing. We all happy.

Sun go down. Me go home. Me have good day!

- Lorac"

Shakymon remember cavemon.
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 05-Mar-13, 06:11:08 AM »

Is this perhaps the first sighting of Beauty and Archer in Rochester?

Patsy - This was too early for Beauty and Archer.  Beauty was actually first spotted at the BS location and Archer was Mariah's mate for a short while before she lost her territory.
Ah, okay, thanks Carol.  I didn't know Beauty once made BS her home, and I think I forgot on purpose that Mariah and Archer were mates at one time (don't want to think about that grandmother/grandson thing).   Shocked

Someone had mentioned in one of the comments...before Beauty was ID'd at BS her nickname was Clarice. And if memory serves me correctly, she was hanging out there with Zephyr. Or at least he was spotted with her once. Winter 2008-2009. And as much as I love her now & hate to recall it, she is the female who took down Mariah.

Zephyr was seen at the end of March, 2009, in his juvie plumage doing lots of fancy flying and vocalizing for Beauty when she was still at the BS location.  Of course at that time, we had not positively ID'd her.  I think I have a video out there on Youtube showing Zephyr flying for Beauty.  Since then, there has not been any reported sightings of Zephyr.
I thought he was seen once after that...for some reason I'm thinking near Buffalo
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 05-Mar-13, 07:48:02 AM »

I thought he was seen once after that...for some reason I'm thinking near Buffalo

There was some speculation that the tiercel at the Buffalo grain elevators (I think) might be Zephyr-someone maybe saw yellow tape-but it was never confirmed.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 266

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 05-Mar-13, 11:34:24 AM »

Based on what I saw Zephyr do as a fledgling, his flight display for Beauty must have been amazing! I'm surprised that they didn't become a pair.

Paul
jeanne
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 214

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 05-Mar-13, 01:25:43 PM »

Based on what I saw Zephyr do as a fledgling, his flight display for Beauty must have been amazing! I'm surprised that they didn't become a pair.

Paul

So many things might have been different had they become a pair.  He was just a bit too young at that point.  I remember how exciting it was to see him.  I hope he is off somewhere flying with his dynamic skills and with a mate.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened"

Anatole France
patsy6
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 52

Dot.ca and a 2015 eyas

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 05-Mar-13, 01:39:29 PM »

Lou, please tell Lorac I found his falcon watch report very enjoyable!  rofl

Hey farmer, farmer, put away that DDT now. Give me spots on my apples, but leave me the birds and the bees, please! - Joni Mitchell
Lou
Juvie

Like Count: 130

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: 06-Mar-13, 04:50:55 PM »

Okay Patsy. Will do.

By the way, has anyone figured out the descendents of the watchers in the caveman report?  All can be identified...

Lou
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06-Mar-13, 05:26:11 PM »

Okay Patsy. Will do.

By the way, has anyone figured out the descendents of the watchers in the caveman report?  All can be identified...

Lou

Dana, Dan, Lou, Lisa, (Shaky) was a given. Cathy??  Brian, Carol.....one looks like MAK, was she there in the caveman days?? Watchers alunda Falcons!! heart heart wub2

Carol P.
Global Moderator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Fly Baby Fly!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06-Mar-13, 06:20:38 PM »

Okay Patsy. Will do.

Lou

Dana, Dan, Lou, Lisa, (Shaky) was a given. Cathy??  Brian, Carol.....one looks like MAK, was she there in the caveman days?? Watchers alunda Falcons!! heart heart wub2

Shaky must have been a family name that endured all these years.   Wink

Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: 06-Mar-13, 11:32:12 PM »

Shaky must have been a family name that endured all these years.   Wink

The Shakymon Dynasty