THE FORUM

29-Mar-24, 01:24:25 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hatch # 1 at Norfolk!  (Read 9923 times)
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 314

View Profile
« on: 11-Mar-10, 07:03:28 PM »

First eaglet hatched a little after 1 today in Norfolk!  2 more eggs to go!   hatch1

Picture captured by zoomer4 at the cam controls

NBG Eagle Cam

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Aafke
Falcon

Like Count: 715

Kingfisher

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12-Mar-10, 05:54:24 AM »

clap Very nice!!!!
Thanks Ei.
greetings Aafke

Feed the birds!!!!
valhalla
« Reply #2 on: 12-Mar-10, 06:03:37 AM »

Good news and thanks for the update Ei!
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13-Mar-10, 09:51:49 AM »

#2 hatched sometime overnight...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13-Mar-10, 10:03:08 AM »

#2 hatched sometime overnight...

How cute... hatch1 hatch1 Thanks Ei.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14-Mar-10, 08:29:28 PM »

#3 hatched during the night last night...first all 3 heads visible at the same time sighting wasn't until 2:30 this afternoon...

hatch1 hatch1 hatch1

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14-Mar-10, 10:03:54 PM »

#3 hatched during the night last night...first all 3 heads visible at the same time sighting wasn't until 2:30 this afternoon...

hatch1 hatch1 hatch1

3 in a row!! CUTE!!! Thanks Ei.

Aafke
Falcon

Like Count: 715

Kingfisher

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 30-Mar-10, 03:54:56 PM »

Eaglets are scheduled to be banded Wednesday, March 31 at 9:00 a.m. EDT. Follow the events in person

at Norfolk Botanical Garden, or online on Eagle Cam.
by 13News edited by PiedmontN8ive at 3/30/2010 5:22:57 PM19:22

Feed the birds!!!!
valhalla
« Reply #8 on: 30-Mar-10, 04:26:15 PM »

Eaglets are scheduled to be banded Wednesday, March 31 at 9:00 a.m. EDT. Follow the events in person

at Norfolk Botanical Garden, or online on Eagle Cam.
by 13News edited by PiedmontN8ive at 3/30/2010 5:22:57 PM19:22

Already??  Whoo!  Time is flying by! 
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31-Mar-10, 06:33:51 AM »

The three eaglets at Norfolk  Botanical Garden get a little wardrobe adjustment this week.

At 9 a.m. Wednesday, March 31, each eaglet will be fitted with two identification bands by biologists from the Center for Conservation Biology at the College of William and Mary. The public can watch from a short distance while the process takes place at the Renaissance Court; garden admission is required.

The eaglets, which hatched March 11, 13 and 14, have grown rapidly and are now covered in a soft gray down, according to Reese Lukei with the conservation biology center. He maintains an eagle nest blog at http://eaglenest.blogs.wm.edu and will help do the banding.

"Both parents have been very attentive to their chicks, who have been fed several times a day," Lukei said. "In this rainy weather, the adults are keeping them covered, dry and warm."

During the banding, each eaglet is briefly removed from the nest and outfitted with two ID bands. One is purple to indicate the Chesapeake Bay region, and the other is aluminum and has a number on it that is entered into a data bank at the U.S. Geological Survey Bird Banding Lab in Maryland so any researcher can get information on that specific eagle.

"Banding provides the opportunity to gain information in future years about their migration, age and where as adults they settle to breed their own young," Lukei said. "This is especially important for eagles that are hatched in urban nests such as the one at Norfolk Botanical Garden."

Later in the season, one of the eaglets will be fitted with a satellite transmitter that will allow biologists to follow its travels. Last season, one of the eaglets from the botanical garden, named Azalea for tracking purposes, was fitted with a transmitter, and her wide-ranging travels are documented for the public at http://eagletrak.blogs.wm.edu, Lukei said.

Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02-Apr-10, 07:08:58 AM »

http://www.dailypress.com/news/dp-local_eaglets_0401apr01,0,3607899.story Short video of the banding.

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02-Apr-10, 07:24:38 AM »

Short video of the banding.

I made an album of screen captures from the "banding".  NBG Eaglet Banding Turns out they were too small after all...only the eldest has bands on as of today.  The middle eaglet got banded, but they slipped off in the nest & the climber had to go retrieve them.  The youngest wasn't banded at all.  They're planning on re-banding them when they go back for a transmitter placement.

Annette
I'm Not Addicted

Like Count: 147

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 02-Apr-10, 07:56:30 AM »

I made an album of screen captures from the "banding".  NBG Eaglet Banding Turns out they were too small after all...only the eldest has bands on as of today.  The middle eaglet got banded, but they slipped off in the nest & the climber had to go retrieve them.  The youngest wasn't banded at all.  They're planning on re-banding them when they go back for a transmitter placement.

Great banding pictures Thank you for sharing.

Greetings
Annette

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02-Apr-10, 08:23:56 AM »

thumbsup

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02-Apr-10, 10:44:50 AM »

Great album, Ei!  Thanks!    clap

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: