THE FORUM

18-Oct-24, 08:30:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Warbler (and other) photos from Patti's trip to the Ohio shore of Lake Erie  (Read 3258 times)
Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« on: 02-Jun-13, 11:32:04 AM »

I attended the Biggest Week in American Birding festival (northern Ohio near Toledo) a couple of weeks ago, and got the photos organized.  It bills itself as the "Warbler Capital of the World."  There are lots of warbler photos here and a few other birds as well.

http://photos.bellhanley.com/Birds-Bats-Butterflies/Wide-Wide-World/Lake-Erie-Birding-2013

Patti

Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 02-Jun-13, 12:16:34 PM »

Beautiful bird pictures, Patti! Thanks for sharing!

gayle
Juvie

Like Count: 82

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02-Jun-13, 05:48:11 PM »

What a productive birding experience!  Do you know why warblers tend to congregate in that area?  I enjoyed seeing your fine photographs.  Thanks Patti!

Gayle
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02-Jun-13, 06:00:54 PM »

You take the best trips! Thanks for sharing them with us!

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 02-Jun-13, 07:37:50 PM »

What a productive birding experience!  Do you know why warblers tend to congregate in that area?  I enjoyed seeing your fine photographs.  Thanks Patti!

Gayle

I don't know if there is anything special that makes the area particularly enticing for warblers.  It's a "migrant trap" in general...

The birds, by the time they hit Lake Erie, have been flying over an agricultural desert for a long time; they hit the lakeshore, and decide to settle down and refuel for awhile before crossing the lake.  In that way it's similar to many other well-known migrant traps where some natural obstruction or feature (mountains, like Hawk Mountain), bodies of water like Delaware Bay (Cape May, NJ), etc. causes migrants to stop or at least funnels them in a particular direction. 

At the festival I attended a talk by Chris Wood, who works at the Cornell Lab or Ornithology as project leader for eBird (among many other credentials) on the current state of the science around bird migration.  One of the things he pointed out is that birds have different migration paths to/from the neotropics; some cross the Gulf of Mexico and some fly around it, etc., and this area of northern Ohio is right where those paths converge for birds flying north to nest in Canada's boreal forests.

There is a narrow band of green space (state parks or wildlife areas, several national wildlife refuges, and privately run conservation areas) on the lakeshore that was preserved when the rest of what used to be called the "Great Black Swamp" was drained for agriculture.  It's green, moist, and swarming with the bugs that migrants love to eat!  The day that I managed to get the best photos was a day that it was also cold and windy, so the birds were feeding lower in the trees.
gayle
Juvie

Like Count: 82

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03-Jun-13, 05:11:54 PM »

Thanks for the explanatory comments, Patti.

Gayle
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: