THE FORUM

19-Sep-24, 06:52:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Two questions  (Read 7971 times)
dale
Falcon

Like Count: 276

View Profile WWW
« on: 15-Apr-11, 04:13:50 AM »

1. I tried to post the following thought (#2) in "Rochester Falcon Offspring" but did not find the usual "Start New Topic" button on the top right. Is that section closed for some reason? It was posted in quite recently.

2. It might be fun to have, in addition to the family tree (or perhaps somehow incorporated into it?), a place to record, not sightings in contexts that produced more falcons, but simply mentions of the most recent/last sighting of a bird after its first summer; for example, Linn was last sighted (as far as I remember) in 2009 in Scarborough, with a mate; Quest, Zephyr, and Ihteram have also been seen and identified - just what I remember offhand. There may already be this sort of compilation (or it may have been discussed at length) - sorry for my ignorance, if so.
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 315

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 15-Apr-11, 04:54:43 AM »

Question 1-good question!

Question 2-the family tree was generated from a genealogy website and the last known "residence" of each bird is listed there.  I'll see over the weekend if it can generate a report that includes that info.

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Shaky
Bathrobe Brigadier
Administrator
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 354

Working on my book

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: 15-Apr-11, 06:39:00 AM »

1. I tried to post the following thought (#2) in "Rochester Falcon Offspring" but did not find the usual "Start New Topic" button on the top right. Is that section closed for some reason? It was posted in quite recently.

I don't know what happened to the READ THIS FIRST! topic on that board. If it were still there, it would explain that the board is for news and announcements only. Members can reply to topics but can't start them.

dale
Falcon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: 15-Apr-11, 10:12:14 AM »

Thanks, Ei and Shaky!

Which other Mariah/Kaver offspring have been positively identified in various places, besides those 4 I mentioned? Anyone remember who I'm forgetting?
Kris G.
Never Leaves 'Puter

Like Count: 166

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 15-Apr-11, 10:29:12 AM »

Thanks, Ei and Shaky!

Which other Mariah/Kaver offspring have been positively identified in various places, besides those 4 I mentioned? Anyone remember who I'm forgetting?

Sabrina/Valiant?

Paul Hamilton
Tiercel

Like Count: 268

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15-Apr-11, 10:42:35 AM »

Alkyonis
Freedom
Seneca

Ranger (Mariah and Cabot-Scirocco) was seen in Toronto for many years; may still be there.

Gehastey was found dead over a year after fledging
Hafoc made it nearly a year

Paul
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15-Apr-11, 10:44:24 AM »

Thanks, Ei and Shaky!

Rhea Mae, Linn, Freedom, Ranger (M/C-S)...and the many grandeyases...

If we forget our passion our hearts go blind                                    @MsShaftway
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15-Apr-11, 10:45:34 AM »

Alkyonis
Freedom
Seneca

Ranger (Mariah and Cabot-Scirocco) was seen in Toronto for many years; may still be there.

Gehastey was found dead over a year after fledging
Hafoc made it nearly a year

Paul

How could I forget Seneca & Alkyonis!

And, of those we know are gone...Skye...

dale
Falcon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: 15-Apr-11, 10:47:57 AM »

Right. I remembered Linn, Quest, Ihteram, and Zephyr - I assumed the ones already listed as deceased or as having offspring of their own - the others, the ones who were spotted but not dead and not reproducing, are the ones not indicated in any way!
dale
Falcon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: 15-Apr-11, 10:55:05 AM »

Right. I remembered Linn, Quest, Ihteram, and Zephyr - I assumed the ones already listed as deceased or as having offspring of their own - the others, the ones who were spotted but not dead and not reproducing, are the ones not indicated in any way!

(valuable additional info to compile insofar as we know that those birds also survived at least until they were sighted!).
Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15-Apr-11, 10:58:18 AM »

(valuable additional info to compile insofar as we know that those birds also survived at least until they were sighted!).

paperbag [oops-would have helped if I re-read the original question before answering]

Dumpsterkitty
Glued to Keyboard

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17-Apr-11, 05:36:30 PM »

Question 2-the family tree was generated from a genealogy website and the last known "residence" of each bird is listed there.  I'll see over the weekend if it can generate a report that includes that info.

Current "contact info", which is where last known "residence" is stored, is not available in chart form.  So I decided to whip up a quick map, but my 'puter has been giving me fits today (I should blame who's really responsible-Microsoft updates loading some anti-malware program that plugged up everything-2 system restores later I'm back where I started...minus my log-in cookie for flickr, which now doesn't want to give me a log-in screen tickedoff frustrated )

Anyway...where are they now will have to wait for another day.

dale
Falcon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: 18-Apr-11, 01:50:21 AM »

Ei,

I certainly didn't mean to make more work for you!  I bet as a group we can fairly easily come up with a bunch of that data; for example, the last time I have a record of Linn being seen was by Mark Nash in 5/09, in Scarborough. 

...and you had a thread last June called "Updated Banding Table"
http://rfalconcam.com/forum/index.php?topic=2592.msg18730#msg18730
with a bunch of info...
e.g., "Ihteram was positively ID'd in...I'm thinking 2008...in Macomb county Michigan."

Was the last time Zephyr was seen when he was hanging with Mariah?

what else? I'm tired or I'd play with the "search" function a bit more tonight...
Bonnie
Tiercel

Like Count: 45

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: 25-Apr-11, 09:55:31 AM »

I can't believe it has been two years since we heard about Linn.  I thought someone posted something winter 2010.  And the Jersey City Linn was also spotted somewhere.

“No bird soars too high, if he soars with his own wingsâ€
William Blake
dale
Falcon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: 25-Apr-11, 12:53:09 PM »

I can't believe it has been two years since we heard about Linn.

I know - seems like it was more recently. I'm going from my records - I was emailing Linn Pierson's friends whenever we had news of falcon-Linn. and the last email I seem to have sent was based on a report by Mark Nash re: an adult pair seen at the Scarborough Bell bldg. hack box in 5/09.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: