THE FORUM

21-Oct-24, 02:27:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Note: The views expressed on this page are not necessarily those of GVAS or Rfalconcam.

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Very strange blog on Cats and how many birds they kill per year  (Read 4582 times)
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

Like Count: 1650

<3 FLY FREE "CHARLOTTE" <3

View Profile
« on: 09-May-13, 08:52:19 AM »

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/cats_actually_kill

MAK
Glued to Keyboard

Like Count: 486

Nature Rules!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09-May-13, 02:24:16 PM »

Shocked  Actually, I'm not shocked at all. Cats are natural born killers domestic or otherwise. It's what they do!  Roll Eyes

I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.
-John Burroughs
Tokira
Juvie

Like Count: 142

Kaetzchen Gabriella of Tokira

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09-May-13, 02:53:59 PM »

What a nasty little Hit Piece!  Felines are natural predators, as are Canines, carnivorous Reptiles and Amphibians, and  Birds.  Someone apparently thinks this thing is funny.  It's on the same level as PETA's "Your Mommy Kills Animals" "comic" book.
Disgusted,
Carol
WV
« Last Edit: 09-May-13, 03:00:00 PM by Tokira » Logged
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09-May-13, 04:19:16 PM »

Yes, this blew my mind. Had to post to show how crazy this all is! Was in poor taste!

Patti from Kentucky
Tiercel

Like Count: 58

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: 13-May-13, 01:26:50 AM »

That post did go overboard...but the research is serious...and cats' impact on birds and other wildlife is substantial.  It's one of the reasons I keep my little killers indoors (that and it's better for their health).
Tokira
Juvie

Like Count: 142

Kaetzchen Gabriella of Tokira

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13-May-13, 10:46:01 AM »

That post did go overboard...but the research is serious...and cats' impact on birds and other wildlife is substantial.  It's one of the reasons I keep my little killers indoors (that and it's better for their health).

Free-roaming cats' greatest impact is is on small rodents, not birds.  Healthy birds can, after all, FLY.  The myth that cats bear the primary responsibility for bird decreases is exactly that, a myth.  Habitat destruction is a much more significant cause.  Even the ubiquitous Whitetail Deer has been videoed eating eggs and nestlings.  The most widely touted "study" blaming cats was produced by the woman in DC who was convicted of trying to poison feral cats. For  the record; I keep my own cats inside as well, for their own safety, and fervently wish others would do the same.

Carol
WV
Nonny
Pipping

Like Count: 8

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17-May-13, 08:13:08 PM »

As do I.
Bird Crazy
Falcon

Like Count: 140

Voyager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18-May-13, 10:07:33 AM »

As do I.
same here, my dogs are fenced too.
Donna
I'm Falcon Crazy

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18-May-13, 04:05:21 PM »

Unfortunately, I have porch cats and so far, in all the years I have had them, they killed 4 birds, that I know of. I'm always on their A$$e$ when they stalk my feeder. I am mouse free and have been for years! My indoor cats do NOT go out and when they did, they were in a cat tube. Nothing worse then seeing a cat with a bird in it's mouth. Most of the birds around my feeder know the cats are here and signal when they approach. It's hard when you love both cats and birds, well, all animals for me.  heart

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: